LOST TRAILS 5: Sembia

Online roleplaying at the Café
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAILS 5: Sembia

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:Alwina raises her voice over the din of the many plodding feet and hooves and creaking wagon wheels. “I’ve never seen so many people in one place!” Looking paler than ever, the slim blonde clings tightly to Klokulf’ s arm.
"I have seen close to this," Klokulf replies. "Certain sections of Vaasi cities are like rat warrens."
ewancummins wrote:In the middle of the square stands a bronze statue, three times life size, atop a wagon-sized marble block. The figure holds aloft a sword and a scroll.
Seeing the statue, Klokulf calls out, "Chara, do you happen to know who that is supposed to be?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Alwina raises her voice over the din of the many plodding feet and hooves and creaking wagon wheels. “I’ve never seen so many people in one place!” Looking paler than ever, the slim blonde clings tightly to Klokulf’ s arm.
"I have seen close to this," Klokulf replies. "Certain sections of Vaasi cities are like rat warrens."
ewancummins wrote:In the middle of the square stands a bronze statue, three times life size, atop a wagon-sized marble block. The figure holds aloft a sword and a scroll.
Seeing the statue, Klokulf calls out, "Chara, do you happen to know who that is supposed to be?"

''A hero, surely? But I think I see some words carved on the big block of marble."
She points.

A sun-tanned young fellow resting on the back of an empty wagon nearby, chomping on an apple, notices the young woman's apparent interest in the monument. He ambles over, tucking the apple core in the pocket of his loose canvas smock.

"Young Mistress." He smiles at Chara, and then nods to Klokulf. "Good Master."
He wipes his fingers on his breeches.
''You were wondering about our statue? You must be new to Selgaunt, right?"
He takes off his hat and inclines his head toward the monument.
"That's Thorowal the Liberator."

A look of recognition flashes over Chara's freckled face.
"Aha! Father told us..."
Her eyes brighten and her lips quiver on the edge of a frown.
"I learned some Sembian history as a little girl. We've come from the Protectorate to live here with family."
She indicates Myra and El, who stand with Raen and Benn just a few feet away.

Chara turns back to Klokulf.
''Thorowal was the leader of the country party and the poor servants against the city party, the greedy moneybags and their hired soldiers, during the Rising a hundred years ago. My father called him the Second Raven. ''

The man in the smock says,
''That's right. But our merchants here were on the right side. Weren't they, then? Else why did the Old Chauncel pay for that statue?"
He straightens up and lifts his chin.

Chara nods, smiling. "Oh, yes, of course. Selgaunt's the greatest city in Sembia. I expect its leaders have been the best men. But can you tell me where to find the guild agent for this market. I mean the grain-sellers factor or whatever he's called here."

The man says that he can, and then leads the party to a booth on the east side where a fat man , well-dressed, sits in the shade and sips beer from a clay pitcher set on a leather folding table.

The obese merchant factor eyeballs everyone in the group as if trying to assess net worth. He slurps a little more brew and then sets down the mug, rising to his feet.
"Adventurers?"
He glances at the orphans.
''And, ah, migrants? I have it right?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict sniffs a bit at the term "adventurers," but let's it pass without comment.

"These young ones are emigrating here to the city," he answers. "Their parents were lost in a gnoll raid. They are coming to live with an Aunt and Uncle, who we were told we could contact through your organization."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict sniffs a bit at the term "adventurers," but let's it pass without comment.

"These young ones are emigrating here to the city," he answers. "Their parents were lost in a gnoll raid. They are coming to live with an Aunt and Uncle, who we were told we could contact through your organization."

“If they do business here, yes.”

Once provided with the names, the factor consults a ledger.
“Ah, yes, I see!”
He arranges a ride along with wagons making a delivery. “We’ll shift the loads around a bit on the carts so you and your friends can ride, miss.”

Chara thanks him.

“It’s no trouble.”
The factor takes one of the cart drivers aside and says something to him about mentioning something or other to ‘Shipmaster Tarin’ and 'favor.'
The ride takes the party straight through the middle of the city, down a wide, stone highway with wagons, riders, and pedestrians passing east on one side and west on the pother.

Along the way, from the perches amid sacks and casks of grain in the back of the heavy wagon, the orphans gawk at the scenes of the big city.
The driver answers a few questions, but mostly he pays attention to the traffic ahead of him on the streets.
Selgaunt seems to have few ruins or derelict houses. The party passes half-a dozen worksites on the way toward the waterfront: laborers clambering on scaffolds as they repair old buildings or erect new ones.

They also see dozens of shops along the main concourse and up the many side street.
Hundreds of strangers…
A woman leaning out a stone house’s front door, shouting last-minute orders to a servant girl.
A boy walking a dog on a chain.
Two fighting-men in gambesons standing in close conversation, as a lad seated on an overturned barrel beside the men works on a short sword with a whetstone and oilcloth.
Harlots waving to Klokulf and Sir Clive from windows. One shows a bit of what she’s renting out.
Beggars with bowls lifted.
A man in a plumed hat reeling out of a public house, voices raised in song washing out with him.
Two girls with flashes of jewels at their necks peeking through the window of a passing sedan chair…

The further east the wagons roll, the heavier grows the smell of water, salt, and fish.
Gulls shriek, wheeling over the rooftops.

Presently, the party arrives at a long waterfront. Workers, passengers, crewmen swarm over the boardwalks and stone piers. Six big ships moored, and three more outbound on the bay with sails bellying in the stiff wind.
Many small boats.
The waggoneers make their delivery to one of the mid-sized vessels.

A tall man in well-cut but practical-looking garb, maybe forty years old, clambers down as soon as he sees Chara and her siblings with the party.
“Chara?”
He looks like a grown-up version of Chara’s brother, El.

Chara starts crying as soon as she sees him up close.
“Uncle Tarin!”
She runs and hugs him.

El, carrying Myra, joins her.

Tarin turns to the party after a few whispered words with his nieces and nephew.
“Thank you for bringing them safe to me, friends. I’d have come myself but I was at sea when Sorista got the word about my brother. Chara’s letter in reply arrived a little ahead of all of you.”

El walks over to look at the ship, standing on the pier.
''Wow!''

Tarin sends a runner to fetch his wife, and then invites the party to his home that evening for supper.

"Have you found lodgings?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote: In the middle of the square stands a bronze statue, three times life size, atop a wagon-sized marble block. The figure holds aloft a sword and a scroll.
"This city has more money than they know what to do with it..." Raen says impressed by the size of the statue but not impressed by how the city council chose to use their money. He makes a mental note of the century old politics. Some humanoids live as much. Better be careful with his words until he knows what happens here and whether there are opposing political factions.

"This is a Republic, right?" He asked the merchant. "Which Guilds are represented in the leadership of the city?"

Raen is mightly impressed by the size of the city. "I think I will rent a coach to see more of it. I can't get over how big this place is" he tells Benn.
Once the kids get a warm hug from their uncle Raen leaves a sigh of relief. One can't ever be sure, but most probably the Gods showed some favor to these kids. He stands aside and doesn't interrupt their moment. He knows the man's name and where to find him, he can talk to him another time.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote: In the middle of the square stands a bronze statue, three times life size, atop a wagon-sized marble block. The figure holds aloft a sword and a scroll.
"This city has more money than they know what to do with it..." Raen says impressed by the size of the statue but not impressed by how the city council chose to use their money. He makes a mental note of the century old politics. Some humanoids live as much. Better be careful with his words until he knows what happens here and whether there are opposing political factions.

"This is a Republic, right?" He asked the merchant. "Which Guilds are represented in the leadership of the city?"

Raen is mightly impressed by the size of the city. "I think I will rent a coach to see more of it. I can't get over how big this place is" he tells Benn.
Once the kids get a warm hug from their uncle Raen leaves a sigh of relief. One can't ever be sure, but most probably the Gods showed some favor to these kids. He stands aside and doesn't interrupt their moment. He knows the man's name and where to find him, he can talk to him another time.

EARLIER
VIEW CONTENT:
''Well, the city's reigned over by the Hulorn and administered by the Old Chauncel. The Hulorn's position passed down in his family. Oh, I think maybe it used to be by adoption or something like that, but it's hereditary nowadays. The Old Chauncel works somewhat the same way. A man's got to be born into the right house.
But as for the Republic-- all the licensed merchants, master guildsmen, and landowners in a ward or parish can cast ballots for the assemblies that pick the electors that choose the Councillors of Sembia. The Council--not our Old Chauncel-- picks the Overmaster. Good thing Overmasters rule for life and members of the Council sit for ten years at a time, or else we'd spend all our time counting heads and not counting our money!''

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

If Katrin is impressed by the city, she doesn't show it. She seems more to be thinking along Klokulf's lines, and keeps an eye out for robbers.

Still she seems much more at home in the teeming city, moving with something of a swagger, watching closely as the crowds pass, seeking trouble, or opportunity. But if she sees any, she doesn't take any actions yet.

She waits politely while the reunion takes place, looking on with pleasure and a slight hint of envy at the family reunion, but with an occaisonal glance around as if she cannot quite believe everything would go well...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:If Katrin is impressed by the city, she doesn't show it. She seems more to be thinking along Klokulf's lines, and keeps an eye out for robbers.

Still she seems much more at home in the teeming city, moving with something of a swagger, watching closely as the crowds pass, seeking trouble, or opportunity. But if she sees any, she doesn't take any actions yet.

She waits politely while the reunion takes place, looking on with pleasure and a slight hint of envy at the family reunion, but with an occaisonal glance around as if she cannot quite believe everything would go well...
A couple of young sailors on Tarin's galley seem very intent upon Kat, though the clumsy way in which the two lads vie for her attention suggests they are thinking of romance and not robbery.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:Tarin sends a runner to fetch his wife, and then invites the party to his home that evening for supper.

"We had Mother Falchett's Boarding House recommended to us by the caravan master we traveled with," replies Klokulf, "but we have yet to see it for ourselves."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Tarin sends a runner to fetch his wife, and then invites the party to his home that evening for supper.

"We had Mother Falchett's Boarding House recommended to us by the caravan master we traveled with," replies Klokulf, "but we have yet to see it for ourselves."
Shipmaster Tarin says,
"It's a good place if you're not looking for anything fancy."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE REMAINDER OF THE DAY
SAGE ADVICE

The adventurers have time to secure lodgings.

Raen has the opportunity to take his carriage ride, touring Selgaunt.

Benn, along with anyone who cares to go with him, visits the University.

At that grand edifice, the Governor’s letters of introduction prove most expedient: Benn soon obtains an informal appointment with Master Ormauth, an amiable old lecturer on Practical Metaphysics.

The sage meets his guests in an office crammed with books, schools, charts, and no fewer than eight orreries.
Ormauth interviews Benn and the others about their homes, the incantation in the dungeon under the Grim Bastille, the journey through the Mists, et cetera, asking many questions and pausing now and then to jot down answers in his notes. He discusses complex-- and confusing to laymen-- planar lore with Benn.
He then describes possible ways back home for Benn and his companions:
“In theory a powerful cleric or mage with the right spell prepared could send you back. In practice, it’s not so simple. All such magics require a key attuned to the destination or else knowledge of the correct route to walk through transitive planes. You don’t want to become even more lost than you are now.

I do not know the location of your world.
Your party members have evidently failed to learn this information by your own divinatory magics. And surely you have made sacrifices and called upon the gods to show you the way?

A gate or portal would probably be simpler than a spell, if one linking the two worlds actually exists and if you could find it. The best way to look would be to investigate points of congruence and probable cross-world influences. If you find reason to believe migrants crossed between your world and this one, either way, and left evidence in history, artifacts, cultic practices, place names. Vaasa and Nova Vaasa, for example…

If you decide to look for help getting home via a spell, I suggest you seek out the clergy of Leira, The Lady of the Mists. Of all the cults, Leira’s seems most likely to possess lore about your home-world, which I suspect to be accessible via the Ethereal Plane and perhaps the Shadowland as well. But be warned, the goddess is also called the Lady of Deception.”

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KLOKULF AND ALWINA

After obtaining rooms at Mother Falchett's Boarding House, the pair have time on their hands.
Alwina cleans up from the road. She then suggests they join Benn at the University.

"I'm not quite sure what it is, but this 'university' seems like a place we can get answers to our questions about how to get you home and to get me home. "
She frowns.
"Though I'm not actually sure I want to go back where I came from. I... never mind. I don't really know what I want, just yet. But Benedict has a family. His mate and his young ones need him. And he needs them. I see pain in his eyes."

RAEN

Raen strolls about the waterfront seeking some educated and respectable companionship. He avoids falling in with drunken sailors and dodges the attentions of a pair of slovenly trulls.

As midday approaches, Raen spots a man seated on a folding stool near the water, sketching on a canvas. It looks as if he's drawing the harbor scene.
Striking up a conversation the artist finishes and begins packing his supplies, Raen learns the young man, Kendrick, works as a draughtsman.

Presently the two visit a pub, grab a couple of ales, and then head out for a jaunt about the core districts of the city by carriage, at Raen's expense.
Kendrick points out notable buildings along a circuitous route to the University: The New Mint, The Old Chauncellry-House, the Chambers of the Sembian Council, the Hulorn's Palace, the Overmaster's Manse, and temples or shrines of half a dozen gods.
Raen sees some rundown buildings along the way, tucked behind or between blocks of grander buildings and fancier houses, but nothing like the squalor and decay of Pont-a-Mouseau.
Kendrick says there are, of course, slums and poor neighborhoods, but he hasn't the time or interest to show them in a single carriage ride.

As the carriage rolls toward the University's ivy-clad walls, Kendrick announces he must be getting home, and calls for the driver to stop.
"It's a short walk for me, and I'd enjoy the stroll. I wish you good luck with your business at the University.'

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen hears what the artist has to say with mounting excitement. What a beautiful, new world. Full of wonders. At one point, a question pops in his mind.
"Kendrik, this beautiful city... does it get foodstuff from the harbor? Or there's a vast number of farms around it to support such a huge population? Also, should I want to find employment as a wizard or find a group of similarly minded arcanists, where should I try my luck without getting zapped as a sneaky, secret-stealing outsider?"

At the end of their ride, Raen thanks Kendric for the company and the instructions and heads his way.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

A LITTLE EARLIER
THE TOUR
alhoon wrote:Raen hears what the artist has to say with mounting excitement. What a beautiful, new world. Full of wonders. At one point, a question pops in his mind.
"Kendrik, this beautiful city... does it get foodstuff from the harbor? Or there's a vast number of farms around it to support such a huge population? Also, should I want to find employment as a wizard or find a group of similarly minded arcanists, where should I try my luck without getting zapped as a sneaky, secret-stealing outsider?"

At the end of their ride, Raen thanks Kendric for the company and the instructions and heads his way.
Kendrick explains that most of the city's food, except spices and fish and such things, comes from Sembian farms.
Raen did see a number of quaint, well-kept farms in the suburbs.
Kendrick says those out-wall farms are poor little things compared with the plantations and villas that occupy most of the good bottom-land along the Arkhen River.
Early harvests from the nearer farms have arrived already, coming overland via the West Gate, and as the harvest season ends big grain barges will sail down the river with full holds.
Sembia even exports some grain by sea.

As for wizardry, Kendrick allows that the local wizards are a clannish lot, averse to outside competition. But there's certainly plenty of work for hire from the city nobles and merchants: warding houses and shops from burglars, clearing buildings infested by slimes and other nasty creatures, scrying for commercial advantage, and what have you.
He says that the House of Blue Flames, the local temple dedicated to the goddess Mystra, would be a good place for a foreign wizard to go.
Kendrick seems quite surprised that Raen has not heard of Mystra.
"Wizards in your country don't worship her? Strange!"

The ride over for him, he departs waving farewell.

NOW

Raen leaves his driver with a tip and walks onto the University grounds.

It's comparable to King Azalin's school at Il Aluk, at least in scale.
Of course, the architecture doesn't look Darkonese. Much less sepulchral.
High walls with ivy growing up them, many narrow windows of green glass panels, fancifully fluted and curved bronze and hardwood railings, and slate-tiled angular roofs.

Raen sees at least a score of men and some older boys in this section of the campus: several walking by carrying scrolls and books, two fencing with rebated swords, others reading on sunlit benches.

The only women or girls he spots are some commonly-clad ones who seem to be housekeepers, and a pair of well-dressed maidens walking with older female servants.
A brace of lightly-armored swordsmen trail closely behind that latter set. Bodyguards, perhaps, given the way they watch the surroundings but never lose track of the ladies.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:KLOKULF AND ALWINA

After obtaining rooms at Mother Falchett's Boarding House, the pair have time on their hands.
Alwina cleans up from the road. She then suggests they join Benn at the University.

"I'm not quite sure what it is, but this 'university' seems like a place we can get answers to our questions about how to get you home and to get me home. "
She frowns.
"Though I'm not actually sure I want to go back where I came from. I... never mind. I don't really know what I want, just yet. But Benedict has a family. His mate and his young ones need him. And he needs them. I see pain in his eyes."
Klokulf, who has been taking the time to jot down gibberish runes in one of his books, looks up. "Indeed. He has the greatest reason of all of us to return."

He rubs the last few sheets of paper between his fingers. "I will have to see if I can acquire a couple of blank books at the University." Getting pedantic, he continues, "A university is certainly a place o get answers to questions, what with it being a place of learning and research. There is a university in the Vaasi city of Kantora, but I hear that it is not the most impressive specimen on the continent."