LOST TRAILS Chapter 7: The Harrowdale Horror

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAIL Chapter 7: The Harrowdale Horror

Post by ewancummins »

THE PARTY REGROUPS ON THE ABANDONED FARM WHERE THE INVESTIGATORS FIRST MET THE BOY, RANDAL

Sir Clive has had time to relate to Katrin details of his brief exploration in town and the frightful encounter in the derelict temple of Tymora, when the others come into view, walking across the fallow field to the north.

Alain has joined the group.

Randal keeps near the 'holy man', Klokulf, and the maiden, Alwina.
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen, despite not surprised by the news about the temple, he is angered. "Whether this has to do with the disease or not, and I think it has to do with the disease, this sounds like something we should investigate and deal with. Evil left to fester creates more and more evil."
He turns to Benn and the others. "I believe we should head there now, during daylight. Miss Alwina could stay with Randal a few minutes away to shield them both from whatever is going on there."
And for Randal to have an adult to look after him if we die... the mage thinks but doesn't share this reasoning.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote:"Miss Alwina could stay with Randal a few minutes away to shield them both from whatever is going on there."
"I concur," says Klokulf. "We ought not bring the boy into the temple if there is something to confront therein."
He turns to Alwina. "Does that sound acceptable to you?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
alhoon wrote:"Miss Alwina could stay with Randal a few minutes away to shield them both from whatever is going on there."
"I concur," says Klokulf. "We ought not bring the boy into the temple if there is something to confront therein."
He turns to Alwina. "Does that sound acceptable to you?"
Alwina answers,
"Yes."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"Alright, then." Klokulf reaches into his pack and retrieves another flask. "When we do part ways temporarily, you should take this, in case the blessed waters can be of use keeping the laughter---or perhaps the things that cackle---at bay. Many dark things burn at its touch."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict nods. For the first time in a while, the Archivist is showing some emotion other than defeatism. "This...evil has to be found and destroyed. It's the only decent thing to do. If we begin to lose control of our faculties, I know of an incantation to ward out evil influences. I don't know if it will work here, as this seems to come on like a disease rather than classical mind control, but..." he shrugs, "It is better than nothing."

He checks his gear over one final time out of habit before indicating his readiness to proceed. "If someone has a spare dagger or something they can leave behind with the boy, that would probably be a good idea."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Adam wrote:Bennedict nods. For the first time in a while, the Archivist is showing some emotion other than defeatism. "This...evil has to be found and destroyed. It's the only decent thing to do. If we begin to lose control of our faculties, I know of an incantation to ward out evil influences. I don't know if it will work here, as this seems to come on like a disease rather than classical mind control, but..." he shrugs, "It is better than nothing."

He checks his gear over one final time out of habit before indicating his readiness to proceed. "If someone has a spare dagger or something they can leave behind with the boy, that would probably be a good idea."
Clive fishes out a short sword from his bag of holding, holding the sword by its sheath he takes a knee in front of the boy. "The first weapon I learned to use when I was a boy. A simple enough weapon, just take the pointy end and stab your enemy in the gut." He says. "I pray that you will have no need of it."

Standing he makes ready to lead the party where he last saw the strange beast.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain moves into cover the flank of the party as they follow Clive to were he encountered the strange beast . Preparing to blast anything that may come at the party from all sides .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Leaving Randal and Alwina beside a wheelbarrow abandoned on the road, the party heads for the Temple of Tymora.
The carved wooden double doors at the front of the large, pinkish-gray masonry building stand shut, and when pushed, rattle do not budge, as if barred or wedged from inside.
Stained glass fragments litter the sere grass on the south side, where Sir Clive crashed through the panes in escape. Sunlight through the broken window illuminates a section of floor. The flagstones look jumbled and tilted, and some of the pews seem sunken into the floor.

A fire-damaged rear door hangs slightly ajar.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/bb/06 ... 138be2.jpg

2.5 not 5 feet per square

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"How did you make your way in, Clive? Through these doors?" Bennedict says. "If so, I'd say something is now trying to keep us out. Perhaps the window you smashed could be another means of entrance?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"The rear door seems open. Did you enter through there sir Clive?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Adam wrote:"How did you make your way in, Clive? Through these doors?" Bennedict says. "If so, I'd say something is now trying to keep us out. Perhaps the window you smashed could be another means of entrance?"
alhoon wrote:"The rear door seems open. Did you enter through there sir Clive?"
"I went in through the front door." He says.

"We could go in through the window...or the door in the back. I feel like it will be a trap either." Clive says.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Interesting. Not so mad and mindless as we may have been led to believe, perhaps?"

Bennedict almost reflexively invokes a protective ward over himself.

"I know this may not be a popular choice, but it seems this holy place has been befouled. Sometimes when an injury is corrupted such as this, the best course of action is to burn it and cleanse the corruption with fire. We could employ similar tactics here, and force whatever is inside to face us on our own terms."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin perks up.

"I like the way you think! I'm sure we can get something going that we can chuck in through the windows. Clive, how flammable did the inside look?"

She looks around for likely firestarters with a renewal of the enthusiasm that was damped by the deserted town
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen flinches. "I don't like the idea of burning down a church of a good goddess. If it's no other options yes, but I believe it should be a last resort act."
My DMGuild work!