Attempting an online campaign

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Count Spatula
Conspirator
Conspirator

Attempting an online campaign

Post by Count Spatula »

Has anyone done this? I'm currently attempting this for the first time-- without the use of a mic or camera, and it's agonizingly slow, to say the least. Is skype the best option for this? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Attempting an online campaign

Post by Skyrock »

I'm assuming that you do a play-by-post then?

PBPs are slow, take a long term commitment and are thus very prone to players (or the GM) dropping out. The big advantage is that PBPs allow for asynchronous communication, which makes them work well for people from different time zones or with unpredictable schedules.

The most important thing is to have a system that allows to resolve actions and conflicts quickly - most combat systems written for the table-top environment have too many variables for player input and too many steps to operate smoothly in PBPs. I have made good experiences with Wushu, Risus and The Shadow of Yesterday.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Count Spatula
Conspirator
Conspirator

nope

Post by Count Spatula »

I've been trying to do a live group on rolz.org, but it's such a slow go that I find myself struggling trying to justify the time investment for as little we actually seem to accomplish. Some people have suggested Roll20, but I have no mic or camera and not sure if it would translate as well. I was hoping others might have some experience at online live play and possibly give me some pointers as a DM. I'd much rather play in-person, but sadly cannot seem to put a group together these days...
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: nope

Post by Ail »

Count Spatula wrote:I've been trying to do a live group on rolz.org, but it's such a slow go that I find myself struggling trying to justify the time investment for as little we actually seem to accomplish. Some people have suggested Roll20, but I have no mic or camera and not sure if it would translate as well. I was hoping others might have some experience at online live play and possibly give me some pointers as a DM. I'd much rather play in-person, but sadly cannot seem to put a group together these days...
It's been years since I've been around here. But people used to write their campaigns in posts in this forum, without a need to try other things.
Have trends changed in the meantime?
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Epically »

Count Spatula wrote:I've been trying to do a live group on rolz.org, but it's such a slow go that I find myself struggling trying to justify the time investment for as little we actually seem to accomplish. Some people have suggested Roll20, but I have no mic or camera and not sure if it would translate as well. I was hoping others might have some experience at online live play and possibly give me some pointers as a DM. I'd much rather play in-person, but sadly cannot seem to put a group together these days...
I think you might just have to bite the bullet and get at least a mic.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Ail wrote:It's been years since I've been around here. But people used to write their campaigns in posts in this forum, without a need to try other things.
Have trends changed in the meantime?
We still have our pBp forum open, but there seems to be a grand total of one active game right now. I think a lot of people have gravitated to more new-fangled wahys of playing online.

I know I had some success with maptool several years ago, playing with friends, but we were also on the phone in a conference call at the same time, which helped a lot.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Attempting an online campaign

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I still like PbP a lot -- I'm in several games over on the Paizo forum.