Al-Qadim-based domain

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Al-Qadim-based domain

Post by Five »

I've been digging through some of my old TSR stuff and Al-Qadim has come to the forefront. As we already have the Amber Wastes that covers the desert motif for Ravenloft, what do you think would be a cool variant domain based off of that setting? What would you like to see included in a domain or cluster created around an Al-Qadim flavour? What would you not want to see?

Genies are a bit too much in my opinion, so they'd be downscaled. Populations would be downscaled, but not too much so. Themes of honour, survival, religion, enlightenment, petty politics, barbarism, zealotry, cannibalism (social, physical, and environmental), crusades, caravan runs, banditry, ancient ruins of cities long-swallowed by the sands, crypts, mountain fortresses/monasteries (assassins), advanced sciences (mathematics, alchemy), ...?

What tweaks would you include to stamp it Ravenloft-approved?
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Al-Qadim-based domain

Post by ewancummins »

Five wrote:I've been digging through some of my old TSR stuff and Al-Qadim has come to the forefront. As we already have the Amber Wastes that covers the desert motif for Ravenloft, what do you think would be a cool variant domain based off of that setting? What would you like to see included in a domain or cluster created around an Al-Qadim flavour? What would you not want to see?

Genies are a bit too much in my opinion, so they'd be downscaled. Populations would be downscaled, but not too much so. Themes of honour, survival, religion, enlightenment, petty politics, barbarism, zealotry, cannibalism (social, physical, and environmental), crusades, caravan runs, banditry, ancient ruins of cities long-swallowed by the sands, crypts, mountain fortresses/monasteries (assassins), advanced sciences (mathematics, alchemy), ...?

What tweaks would you include to stamp it Ravenloft-approved?
Have you seen the Dragon article that 'Ravenloftizes' Al Qadim?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dragon Magazine #198
Campaign Journal: Scimitars against the Dark
by Wolgang Baur

This article takes horror concepts, including variations on Ravenloft mechanics, and applies them to a darker version of Zakhara. It's not describing a demiplane (though it could be, if one liked). It's more like what would later be term a 'masque.'

As far as Arabian themed domains go, I wouldn't mind seeing more.
I think if you slice out genies, you've removed a big part of Al-Qadim. But Al-Qadim isn't the only way to do Arabian adventures. It's partly drawn from history and legend, but heavily filtered through Hollywood movies. That's by design. All those great Sinbad flicks, the Thief of Baghdad...

Maybe go straight to the sources for an Arabian horror game?

You could also focus on the jinn as invisible, bone-eating creatures , some of which can possess or bewitch human beings. Go folkloric.

Falling stars are missiles hurled by heavenly powers at the wicked jinn.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

That dragon article is great.

Additionally make sure to check out the AD&D 2E Complete Necromancer's Guide and specifically the contained Al'Qadim mini setting of Sahu. It's an island already, and is tied to the Ruined Kingdoms Al Qadim set. Here's a good thread on that connection.

Also there's an unspecified arabian-flavoured RL domain in Tales of Ravenloft.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Does not Pharazia covers pretty much of it? Or Al-Khatos?
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I was completely unaware of the article. I like the stuff in Complete Book of Necromancers. Pharazia contains one take on on the material, but it's pretty limited. As others have mentioned, the Judgement of Abd-al-Mamat contains a few nuggets on a possible Arabian domain or two, Al Kathos and/or the Wounded City.

Within the realm of fanon, NeoTiamat wrote a pretty big rework of Pharazia in QTR 21 article "The Endless World" that almost makes it into more of a cluster, with a more expansive and diverse population. Aljaugasba (from QTR 5) covers the city of delights/decadence archetype. Al Kathos and Malbus have had several takes in various unofficial sources, check out the Malbus Mistipedia page for links.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Why, don't you accept everything Neo-Tiamat writes as canon? I do :diamabel: