LOST TRAILS 10 ZHENTIL KEEP

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAILS 10 ZHENTIL KEEP

Post by ewancummins »

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/28/16 ... 9f1496.jpg

(The second man looks like this, but in different colors of clothing)
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:
ewancummins wrote:
RocEter wrote:Clive who positions himself to be visible raise his gauntlet covered hand shouting, "Thirty!"

A sour-faced graybeard dressed in black bids thirty-five.

Seconds later, a grossly obese man clad in lavender silks and a periwinkle cape bids forty.
Before make another bid, Clive quick and obviously makes an assessment of the other two bidders.

"Fifty"
The sour-faced man shrugs and shakes his head.

The fat man in pastel clothing taps his temple, shoots a peevish look at Sir Clive, and then shouts in a deep voice,
"Sixty!"
He commands his body-servant to bring him a chair. The furniture groans audibly over the buzz of the crowd as the man settles his considerable bulk into its velvet-padded seat.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Clive smirks and hold back a chuckle.

"Seventy Five"
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Clive smirks and hold back a chuckle.

"Seventy Five"
The fat man scowls so briefly Clive almost misses it, and then falls to chit-chatting with a lady in green standing nearby, who seems to know him. He makes no further bid.
Nor does anyone else.

Sir Clive has purchased # 3.

The guards bring the slave down and the clerk handles the paperwork and counts out the payment--twice.

Afterward the slave stands in silence before Clive, neither cowering nor projecting defiance. He seems stoic again.
The knight can see the man has worked hard in his young life, with callused hands and thick muscles. Bright blue eyes looking out under a mop of black hair suggest alertness. He stands nearly as tall as Sir Clive does in armor, drawn up to his full height and no longer burdened with heavy manacles.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:
RocEter wrote:Clive smirks and hold back a chuckle.

"Seventy Five"
The fat man scowls so briefly Clive almost misses it, and then falls to chit-chatting with a lady in green standing nearby, who seems to know him. He makes no further bid.
Nor does anyone else.

Sir Clive has purchased # 3.

The guards bring the slave down and the clerk handles the paperwork and counts out the payment--twice.

Afterward the slave stands in silence before Clive, neither cowering nor projecting defiance. He seems stoic again.
The knight can see the man has worked hard in his young life, with callused hands and thick muscles. Bright blue eyes looking out under a mop of black hair suggest alertness. He stands nearly as tall as Sir Clive does in armor, drawn up to his full height and no longer burdened with heavy manacles.
Clive returns the scowl with smirk.

Tapping his horned helmet with a clawed finger, Clive looks the young man over.

He nods, seemingly satisfied with his purchase.

"What is your name?"
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:

"What is your name?"
The slave hesitates a moment before answering in a quiet voice,
''I'm called Tonio."

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:
RocEter wrote:

"What is your name?"
The slave hesitates a moment before answering in a quiet voice,
''I'm called Tonio."
Clive grunts in fashion that is either disapproving or of disappointment.

"Follow me, after I have secured lodging and food we discuss what it means to be in service with me." He says.

Clive returns to the party with his 'purchase.'

He looks at the others, seemingly unaware of looks of disapproval or disgust, and addresses them "To the inn to secure our lodging and get some food?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Tonio nods his head slowly and says, ''Yes..Boss." He then follows Sir Clive without complaint or further speech.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:''Theophilus..."
The youth swallows hard.
''..Ah...Master."
"Very well. I am sure there will be more to discuss, but this is hardly the place. Let us away."
RocEter wrote:He looks at the others, seemingly unaware of looks of disapproval or disgust, and addresses them "To the inn to secure our lodging and get some food?"
"Perhaps we should stop by a money-changer and a tailor first," suggests Klokulf. "I would rather Theophilus did not continue to wander about in little more than his skin."
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:''Theophilus..."
The youth swallows hard.
''..Ah...Master."
"Very well. I am sure there will be more to discuss, but this is hardly the place. Let us away."
RocEter wrote:He looks at the others, seemingly unaware of looks of disapproval or disgust, and addresses them "To the inn to secure our lodging and get some food?"
"Perhaps we should stop by a money-changer and a tailor first," suggests Klokulf. "I would rather Theophilus did not continue to wander about in little more than his skin."
Clive nods in agreement.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen awaits away from the sell-away of personalities, dreams, hopes and fears with a sullen expression but he doesn't openly complain.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RAEN
alhoon wrote:Raen awaits away from the sell-away of personalities, dreams, hopes and fears with a sullen expression but he doesn't openly complain.
While waiting outside the slave mart, Raen witnesses two swordsmen dressed in black cloaks and brigandine jacks harassing a young woman in the street. She protests, but they plant kisses on her cheeks and tug at her bodice and skirt.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat stares around with some interest as they enter Zhentil Keep. She seems to find a certain familiarity in the city ambience, and begins to relax. She watches the slave auction with a cool stare, her face not revealing her emotions, contenting herself with raising an eyebrow when her comrades get involved. She moves a little away into the crowd and begins gossiping with the onlookers, trying to get an idea of the mood of the city.

She tries to stay reasonably close to Raen, and he, who knows her well, may be able to read her mood: icy contempt.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote:RAEN
While waiting outside the slave mart, Raen witnesses two swordsmen dressed in black cloaks and brigandine jacks harassing a young woman in the street. She protests, but they plant kisses on her cheeks and tug at her bodice and skirt.
Raen takes a sip of alcohol to give his mouth the scent of wine. As discreetly as possible while not wasting time, he passes to Katherin most of his valuables away from the eyes of the busy guards except a couple of pouches. He kinda expects to be shaken down for money after all. Then, he moves closer to the soldiers, pretending to be under the influence of a cup of wine or too, but not inebriated.
"Gentlemen! Allow me to thank you for your efforts!" He says with a smile. "A round of drinks for the busy men in the establishment of your choice. No, two rounds! May you find the blessings of Bane in all your life." He says and "tries" to upend the lighter of his remaining pouches to get a few silver and copper pieces in his hand. But his pouch-carrying hand "accidentally" slips, the pouch is emptied on his hand and several coins spill and drop on the road close to the guards rolling around.
"ooops" Raen says as he "Accidentally" kicks the coins spreading them further while "trying to stop and catch them" as they fell.
"Ehh... sorry for the trouble gentlemen. Here, take this for those drinks we talked about." he says and presents the closest guard with 3-4 silver pieces that he has in his hand. "I will clean the mess, don't mind me" he says as he moves closer to the guards to start picking up the coins around their legs.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE STREET

The black-cloaks all but hurl the young woman aside in their eagerness to take the proffered money.
''Oh! Thanks!''
One says to the other, ''Let's get to drinking.''
They walk away, but not before one bends down and helps Raen recover his lost coins
VIEW CONTENT:
(or about half of them--he palms the rest)

The petite brunette chokes back a ragged sob and then sets about straightening her disheveled clothing.
She wipes tears from her eyes--emerald green irises, pupils still wide from her shocking encounter--and stares hard at Raen.
''Are you...was that...'' Her small voice barely carries over the noises of the street, even standing so near the wizard.