Lost Trails 10 1/2 Klokulf in Zhentil Keep

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails 10 1/2 Klokulf in Zhentil Keep

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:After lunch, the men comb the archives.
Klokulf's lunch is a little sparse. Handling the utensils exacerbates the jittering in his hands, even more so when he attempts to cut meat. After picking out the greens and bread, Klokulf leaves the rest for Theophilus.
ewancummins wrote:The High Doom finds a copy of History of the Bloodstone Wars Vol. 1, which contains information about Vaasa.
"Should we look for the second volume as well?" Klokulf inquires.
''Yes, I think so, but you might as well start with the first one. It covers deeper historical background and includes notes on Vaasa before the Bloodstone Wars.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

As Klokulf pages through the history tome, he mutters a few words aloud: Rashemi, Mulan, Red Wizard.
He calls to Thorodus, "What information do you have about a place known as Thay? The Rashemani and Mulan, I have seen them on my world. They reside in a place ruled by the heathen Red Wizard, Hazlik."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:As Klokulf pages through the history tome, he mutters a few words aloud: Rashemi, Mulan, Red Wizard.
He calls to Thorodus, "What information do you have about a place known as Thay? The Rashemani and Mulan, I have seen them on my world. They reside in a place ruled by the heathen Red Wizard, Hazlik."

"The Red Wizards of Thay boast that they hold the secrets of long-fallen Imaskar, which strikes me as exaggerated bragging. Though the sages do confirm that the Mulan people came from another world, slaves brought to Toril by the ancient Imaskari. Bah! Only a degenerate Thayvian would boast of such lowly origins. Some of the Thayvians do kneel before Bane, but many other cults exist among them, such as the fire-worshipers. The Zhentarim pursued a bitter trade rivalry with mercantile Red Wizards during my youth but then came the civil war and the purges in Thay which threw the latter's organization abroad into chaos."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"This Thay may be a good secondary line of inquiry," says Klokulf, "if no more can be found to link the two Vaasas than a name. There is some deep connection between this world and mine, but it remains to be seen whether the myths of the Lawgiver's church stem from actual events or false attribution. A chronicle of the Church of Bane's history would also be useful."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:"This Thay may be a good secondary line of inquiry," says Klokulf, "if no more can be found to link the two Vaasas than a name. There is some deep connection between this world and mine, but it remains to be seen whether the myths of the Lawgiver's church stem from actual events or false attribution. A chronicle of the Church of Bane's history would also be useful."

"Yes. We will continue to search the archives. This question intrigues me, and the answers might be of more than academic importance... More time in research, or perhaps you ought to undertake a journey to Vaasa? I could arrange that."

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Klokulf's brow furrows momentarily. "A journey to Vaasa sounds like it would put me much further out of step with my traveling companions. If I had a very good lead to narrow down my search there, I might consider it. As it stands, I think more research will do for now."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Klokulf's brow furrows momentarily. "A journey to Vaasa sounds like it would put me much further out of step with my traveling companions. If I had a very good lead to narrow down my search there, I might consider it. As it stands, I think more research will do for now."

The High Doom says,''Your companions, here are they headed, again?"

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"They are on their way to Phlan," Klokulf responds carefully. "While I engaged in other business, the others met with Leiran priests in Selgaunt, who suggested some errand that might gain their favor. Seemed like a bit of a gamble, to say the least."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:"They are on their way to Phlan," Klokulf responds carefully. "While I engaged in other business, the others met with Leiran priests in Selgaunt, who suggested some errand that might gain their favor. Seemed like a bit of a gamble, to say the least."

"Leiran priests sent you on a mission to Phlan? That is a long way from Selgaunt. You might have been fooled. Still, I had better get the details, in case the interests of the Church of Bane are involved or might be affected by the outcome of the 'errand' you take on behalf of a chaotic cult."
The High Doom closes the book he was looking through.
"We serve none but Bane."

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Klokulf inclines his head. "Indeed."
He thinks for a moment, trying to recall all he can of the specifics---and trying to decide all he must say.
"I believe the reason for approaching the Leirans involved their relation to the Mists. Since the Falskverden lies Mist-bound, it was suggested that servants of the Lady of the Mists would be uniquely qualified in returning us, or at least in providing enough information to help another party return us. When the others met a Mistwalker on the Isle of Cats, it was implied that aid might be bought," Klokulf pauses momentarily. "The named price was the Orb of Savras. The Cadorna family in Phlan appears to have it, and is regaining status by exploiting the Orb to gain business insights."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The High Doom says,
''I see. Obviously, we will need to research the Orb to make certain that it even exists and that this isn't all some sort of hoax or trick."
He drops his voice and glances about--but the two men stand alone in this part of the library.
"And if it would be better off in our hands."
The senior priest sits down and opens the text he had been looking over without looking long at the pages.
"I'm curious about your party. You've given me some description but...How do they stand in matters of allegiances and ideals? Is there anything they want besides a way home? Simply put, do you think they can be brought into the service of Bane, one way or another?"

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"The service of Bane? I suspect not," Klokulf replies.

"Bennedict, who I feel holds the most sway among them, wants nothing but to return to his wife and child. He does work for the cause of order, after a fashion, being an investigator of crime, but his morals are not in line with ours."

"I have no inkling of Alain's peripheral interests, but I do know he hailed from another world before he came to ours. His memory of it seems vague---he told the Governor at Monksblade about having a forgotten name. He is some manner of mage, trained for battle."

"The wizard, Raen, is not as keen to return as the others; he finds this world to be more appealing than his own. Raen and I have not been on very good terms. The Lawgiver dictates that all arcanists are vile servants of Mytteri, and I did not make a good impression on him or the others when I attempted an ill-considered mind-reading spell at our first meeting."

"Katrin's desires beyond returning are not well known to me. At our first meeting, she was the only one to look on the pragmatic side of my bull-headed prying magic. After I purchased Theophilus at a slave auction, she started behaving more standoffish. 'Tis a shame, for I had been considering asking her for combat advice---she tends to fare better than I when the time comes to fight."

"Sir Clive is perhaps the most copacetic of the lot. He came through the gate we were attempting to seal, from a city called Far-Scratch. There he served as bodyguard and executioner to an Empress. He also bought a slave when I did, and he is not averse to harming prisoners who deserve it. I suspect his general attitude toward me is quite indifferent. I also doubt he would forsake his allegiance to his Empress in favor of serving Bane."

Finished with informing upon his traveling companions, Klokulf heaves a great sigh. "If they do retrieve the Orb from the Cadornas, I doubt they will have any interest in bequeathing it to our Lord's clergy, perhaps not even if they could be sent back in return." He returns to studying the book, then shortly rises to find another. "Perhaps a trip to Vaasa would be in my best interests . . ." he says, off-hand.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The High Doom nods.
''I will keep all this in mind. Whatever happens, I am certain you will not forget your true priorities. "
The older man goes back to his book, reading silently...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Another day spent in research and then the High Doom orders Klokulf to make ready for travel.
''I have arranged a ship going to Phlan to carry you thither. You should arrive in good time, weather allowing, and be ready to meet your party when they reach the town by the slower overland route. Proceed as you normally would. May Bane favor your quest."

The High Doom gives Klokulf an verdigrised bronze ring set with a polished green stone. The ring-metal curves up around the gemstone like a claw clutching it.

"On the inside surface you will find an inscription. My agent wears an identical ring that carries the same words on its inner surface. When the two rings touch, you will see the stones glow. Do whatever the agent tells you to do, in my name and for the glory and power of our god."
The gray-haired patrician lays a hand on Klokulf's shoulder.
"I believe in you, Watchful Brother Klokulf. Be wary. My oracles tell me of chaotic forces converging in Phlan. And do not forget what you learned in the subterranean shrine. Go now. Spread His Dark Fear."

After kneeling to kiss his mentor's ring and taking his leave, Klokulf has a free moment to examine the ring inscription under a light in his guest room.
In uncial Vaasi script, such as he has seen in old books these past few days:

SERVE NONE BUT BANE

end of chapter