Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict follows suit and sits as well. "If it please you," he says, "We come to speak with you regarding the plight of the town of Harrowdale. Some weeks ago, the town was beset by monstrous forces. The people were scattered. The buildings destroyed. Supplies ruined. We come on their behalf to negotiate trade deals to help them get back on their feet."
''Most unfortunate!

But perhaps the House of Cadorna can be of service.

It so happens that I have been expanding my southern interests, trading more and more into the Dalelands of late.

Not without difficulties. The most direct route is by sea to Hillsfar and thence over the forest roads, but the dark elves are stirring again and I have to pay men triple to make the journey.

By water, over the Moonsea and down the Lis, is a swift way to go allowing for good winds, but I've had recent reliable intelligence about a dragon-worm attacking barges in the river.

If your party could clear either of those two obstacles, dragon or drow, by whatever means, and afterward exercise a certain discretion about the news... You see, I'd be in an excellent position to send supplies, workers, extend credit, et cetera if I were the first in Phlan to know of the removal of either of the two obstacles to honest commerce. I have means of obtaining additional information. Maps and guides can be arranged. As can transport on my fleetest vessel.

Winter approaches. It would surely be best to lay in an ample supply of needed goods and to bring workmen south as swiftly as possible; I'm sure you will agree.
My only other condition would be that your party do no business with my trade rivals in Phlan or Hillsfar. Let's keep this an intimate deal. The closer we work together, the more generous I can afford to be and the bigger the risks I can allow myself to take."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I would need to confer with my fellows before I could commit to anything, but it would be a tempting offer. I have no interest in other trading houses in the city, and no desire to foster other relationships. As for dealing with a dragon wyrm or drow..." he shrugs, "That may be another matter."

He pauses for a moment, scratching at the corner of his mustache. "I have an additional interest. There is a magical artifact in your possession, a seeing orb. I would appreciate an opportunity to observe it, study it. I am a student of the arcane. You stand to receive a great deal of profit from this deal, not just from Harrowdale but other trade with the south. On the other hand, we must risk our lives to see it done. Grant me access to the item, and it will be much more likely that we'll see the job completed."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"I would need to confer with my fellows before I could commit to anything, but it would be a tempting offer. I have no interest in other trading houses in the city, and no desire to foster other relationships. As for dealing with a dragon wyrm or drow..." he shrugs, "That may be another matter."

He pauses for a moment, scratching at the corner of his mustache. "I have an additional interest. There is a magical artifact in your possession, a seeing orb. I would appreciate an opportunity to observe it, study it. I am a student of the arcane. You stand to receive a great deal of profit from this deal, not just from Harrowdale but other trade with the south. On the other hand, we must risk our lives to see it done. Grant me access to the item, and it will be much more likely that we'll see the job completed."

Master Porphyrio Cadorna coughs, blinking.
"Ah, well, you are certainly straightforward. I do possess such an item. And I will let you examine it if you commit to dealing with either the drow or the dragon and will also allow me to first examine the powerful enchanted object my clerk tells me one of your party carries."
The merchant turns his attention to Katrin.
"Well, it's yours, yes? What do you say, good lady?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Adam wrote:He pauses for a moment, scratching at the corner of his mustache. "I have an additional interest. There is a magical artifact in your possession, a seeing orb. I would appreciate an opportunity to observe it, study it. I am a student of the arcane. You stand to receive a great deal of profit from this deal, not just from Harrowdale but other trade with the south. On the other hand, we must risk our lives to see it done. Grant me access to the item, and it will be much more likely that we'll see the job completed."
Klokulf is momentarily caught in abject startlement at the direct mention of the Orb. With a silent sigh, he gives up on the notes he was taking and passes them to Theophilus for completion.
ewancummins wrote:Master Porphyrio Cadorna coughs, blinking.
"Ah, well, you are certainly straightforward. I do possess such an item. And I will let you examine it if you commit to dealing with either the drow or the dragon and will also allow me to first examine the powerful enchanted object my clerk tells me one of your party carries."
The merchant turns his attention to Katrin.
"Well, it's yours, yes? What do you say, good lady?"
Klokulf turns his gaze to Katrin as well, being perhaps just as interested as Master Cadorna in the mysterious aura.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen speaks up. "I am equally interested as a student of the arcane in the examination of both powerful items, and I could perhaps lent my expertise on the matter, if the master so desires."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin blinks slightly at the direct mention of the orb, but she is nothing if not flexible in tactics and maintains her pleasnat expression. As everyone turns to look at her, however, she blinks and looks slightly confused.

"I'm not aware that I have anything that would be of interest to you, sir. Perhaps you could be more specific?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Katrin blinks slightly at the direct mention of the orb, but she is nothing if not flexible in tactics and maintains her pleasnat expression. As everyone turns to look at her, however, she blinks and looks slightly confused.

"I'm not aware that I have anything that would be of interest to you, sir. Perhaps you could be more specific?"

The master-merchant studies Katrin in silence for a moment before answering.
"You really don't know? Ah, such is the life of a professional adventuress, yes? Many surprises."
He smiles warmly.
The clerk leans and whispers in his ear. Sunbeams filtered through the amber skylight strike off the green crystal monocle around the scrivener's neck.
Master Cadorna says,
"I cannot be sure which object....but my guess would be likely something small, something you might have acquired in your recent adventures, didn't examine with magic, and have perhaps not closely looked at since."

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin gives a long look at those members of her group able to detect magic, her expression hard to read. She ten begins crisply turning out her pouches, displaying the contents one piece at a time to see if they get any reaction
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Katrin gives a long look at those members of her group able to detect magic, her expression hard to read. She ten begins crisply turning out her pouches, displaying the contents one piece at a time to see if they get any reaction
Coins and various odds and ends draw no comment.

But when Katrin sets the little rectangular wooden box on the table, the clerk's face quivers and the green crystal monocle falls to his breast, swinging on its chain.

"That!"

Engraved, twisting nettles and clovers run across the carved upper surface, and an impish face, half hidden behind the carved plants, peeks out at Katrin. Quite nice workmanship.
The catch of the box is tricky, but she's good at such things and she soon has it open.

Inside, she finds a flat ivory plaque resting in a dark velvet case-interior. Rattling the box gently to shift its contents, and peering close, she sees that the flat yellow-white rectangle is only one of a number of stacked objects, all thin and about the size of playing cards.

She recalls where she obtained the box; taken from a treasure chest in the civic hall of Harrowdale after a fight with the 'plant-animals.' That's when Raen found a stuffed cat with wings.
She's not taken the time to look the box over closely until now.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Alwina leans across the table to peer at the opened box in front of Katrin.

"What is it?"

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"Though they look like playing cards, I would not treat them as toys," Klokulf says as he looks them over. "We don't know what might happen when one is drawn from the deck. Mayhap it would merely generate some sensory figment, but some more pernicious alteration to reality would not be out of the question. Indeed, the form of the thing---a device of chance---might bespeak the magic's capricious nature."
Last edited by Wolfglide of the Fraternity on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Raen offers to draw a card.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat closes the box

"I am not sure that experimenting with an unknown powerful item in master Cadorno's house and presence without his permission would be polite, or prudent! Perhaps we should conduct some investigations first..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Kat closes the box

"I am not sure that experimenting with an unknown powerful item in master Cadorno's house and presence without his permission would be polite, or prudent! Perhaps we should conduct some investigations first..."

Master Cadorna looks again at Katrin.
"I admire your friend's initiative and also your prudence. From the direct method proposed, I must assume your party's arcanists lack either the knowledge of a spell of identification or the readily available funds to purchase the, ah, what is it he used? An opal? No..." He glances at his clerk.

"A pearl, among other things, Master."

"Yes, yes, well, I have pearls to spare. The Moonsea, you know...I can get your party a copy of the magical formula and all necessary components of the ritual. Today, if you like. Consider it a favor and a sign of good faith."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"I have the spells required but not ready neither I have access to the components." Then he turned to Kat. "I didn't mean draw a card right here, I offered to do it but it could be done outside and away of people that may be spooked by illusions."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!