Lost Trails Chapter 14: Hunting the River-Monster

Online roleplaying at the Café
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails Chapter 14: Hunting the River-Monster

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:A petite blonde, young and slim, sits near the younger oarsmen and another traveler. Her pale blue cloak seems to bleed into the fog at the edges.
The traveler next to the scrawny oarsman and the blonde looks to be at least a decade her senior, with a large mustache and otherwise generally short black hair. He wears sturdy travel clothes and no visible weapon, but he does have a bronze ring on his right hand, which has a green stone clutched in metal claws. His eyes, which are a darker green, are fixed on the unicorn, rather clearly concerned about the speaking animal.
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Clive tightens his grip on his greatsword but otherwise remains silent.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict gawks for a moment at the unicorn, before shaking his head. "I have run into a unicorn while hunting a dragon. Of course. Matteo will never believe this."

"If you hunt the creature," Bennedict says, "Then perhaps we can help each other out."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

"Hm," Meela considered. "I can see the wisdom in that."

"These swamps are the home of many tribes of lizardmen as well." She said. "Not all of them are friendly to ... newcomers."

She spared the assembled group a discerning look. "Speaking of newcomers, what lands do you call home?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict smiles. "They are many, and they are far from here. Suffice it to say we are strangers to your lands."

"I am herr Bennedict Gehrman, an archivist and student of the occult. I shall allow the others to introduce themselves."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat views the unicorn with wonder, and a little disbelief. As she takes in the rider and her manner, however, she seems a little less enthused. Then again, she doesn't seem very enthused generally about now...

She moves forward into view.

"Katrina. Pleased to meet you! Another companion, or two, is always welcome when dealing with a threat like this!"

She has a bright smile and a warm voice, with that air of courtesy and respect that, Benn and Raen will be aware, she reserves for concealing suspicion or dislike. Her red hair frames and attractive face, a few years older than the rider, no more. The hooded cloak conceals much of the rest, but the cloak has fallen so that the hilt of a field rapier emerges from it unobstructed, coincidentally. Or perhaps not...
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Tearing his eyes from the talking horse-creature and mustering some composure, the mustached traveler bows at the waist without standing, not wanting to rock the boat. "My name is Klokulf Blix. This," he says, indicating the blue-cloaked young woman, "is my companion Alwina." Gesturing toward the thin oarsman, he adds, "And this is Theophilus."
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

Meela nodded as the introductions were made, sweeping a strand of her reddish-blonde hair from her face.

"Well met, one and all." She replied, turning a watchful eye to the swampland.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Meela joins the party, wading alongside her unicorn in the shallows and walking a few paces ahead of it over hummocks and sandy banks.

The maiden-knight stops now and then, crouching and peering through the vapors for tracks and signs.

Karathos pauses to dip his horn's tip into a stagnant puddle.
Only those looking closely see through the mists and catch what happens next: the water clears instantly.
The creature drinks and then walks on behind the armored woman, leaving a tiny pool of crystal-bright purity amidst the foulness of the wyrm-poisoned wetlands.

END OF CHAPTER
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)