Lost Trails Chapter 15 The Mound

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails Chapter 15 The Mound

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict is just getting ready to ask some details about these lizard men, when the unicorn starts to speak.

Shaking his head, he fetches out his pipe and lights it. "I suppose I should be on the look out for gingerbread houses, next."

He turns, however, at the mention of smoke. "Is there a camp somewhere nearby? Perhaps the lizard people know more about how to find the dragon."

A passing whiff of smoke, so thin only the sensitive nostrils of a beast noticed it, isn't much to go on.

The search for the source takes several minutes of searching, walking, sniffing, and skulking about the swamp.
But then, having walked slowly, cautiously north through the cypresses and splashed across a flooded field of brown reeds, Benn and the others stop at the edge of a copse of cypresses and observe a smudge of gray-white smoke rising skyward from a large earth and timber mound. A crescent shaped lakelet separates them from the seemingly artificial hill. The actual source of the smoke remains hidden by the sloped muddy walls.
This is the same structure that Meela had spotted earlier while out scouting, near which she discovered the big black scale.

The trees provide concealment but to get near the mound from any direction except maybe its far side (which is not visible from here, of course) one must cross about twenty paces of open ground or water.
A skilled woodsman could find some concealment on the way: tree stumps, brush, fallen logs, clumps of reeds.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen, watching the smoke, frowned and fell into spellcasting.
Soon, a blue light appeared, covered him and disappeared - but left the wizard protected as if he wore a trusty suit of armor.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

OUTSIDE THE MOUND

The plume of smoke grows in volume, puffing up gray and white and black, as if various types or grades of fuel had just been thrown in a large fire.

INSIDE

VIEW CONTENT:
The prisoner hears the reptilian beings scuttling about topside. As the sky darkens a warm orange glow shows through one edge of the lattice, accompanied by a crackling noise as of a blazing hearth or big oven.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat eyes the area with apparent casualness.

"Lets let the shadows fall a bit and I'll go in closer and take a look."

She eyes the smoke for a moment, then begins edging around in the direction it seems to be going: making sure she is downwind of the settlement, as her companions will doubtless realise.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

VIEW CONTENT:
'Time to leave.'

Again, she tries to get free.

Escape artist 1d20+9
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rock wrote:
VIEW CONTENT:
'Time to leave.'

Again, she tries to get free.

Escape artist 1d20+9
VIEW CONTENT:
She manages to kick her footgear off and slip out of her ankle bonds, which weren't fastened quite so tightly as her wrists were bound.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"If we're thinking about scouting our way over to that mound without being seen, I don't think I'm the right one for the job," Bennedict says, looking down at his breastplate doubtfully. "Is there any merit in trying to just speak to them?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Perhaps Katherine could scout a bit? With us in view to help her if she finds trouble? Or someone else skilled in stealth or the woodlands?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"Perhaps Katherine could scout a bit? With us in view to help her if she finds trouble? Or someone else skilled in stealth or the woodlands?"

Katrin creeps ahead of the party, using all available concealment, keeping low, and moving with caution.
She works her way around the crescent lake and sidles up to the Mound.

She investigates the nearest opening. A heavy lattice of green timber plastered with mud and curtained with fish-skin and damp reed matting--not very flammable- covers the door.
Pegs hold the frame in place from the inside, but she could reach through and open it.

Up on top of the Mound, she sees smoke puffing out a vent.

Peeking inside the hollow earthen structure by lifting the corner of a reed mat, she makes out a firelit interior: several short halls and a big room with side chambers, a bonfire burning in a central depression. Lizard-like humanoids laze about, some eating out of big clay pots. She counts at least nine, and more could easily be hidden from view in the shadows or behind curved mud walls.
The floors are paved with river pebbles. Some sections of the floor look mounded up as if the builders perhaps buried something under the pavement, or built over something too hard and big to easily dig up.

Daring to climb one outer wall and peek across the rounded top of the Mound, Kat discovers a small inner courtyard with only one obvious way in and out of the mud walled circle, a door into the main part of the Mound, covered by a lattice. A pit fills the center of the little open space, also covered by crossed beams. She can't make out what's down there, but she thinks she hears something moving.
Then the frame-door to the little courtyard wrings open and a scaly humanoid with big glassy eyes tramps out. The lizard-headed creature approaches the pit, peers down, and then heads back inside, idly swinging a scimitar as it strides along...

Pebbles in the dry roof mud scrape and slide under Kat.

She scoots back quickly, just as the creature in the courtyard turns about and looks up.

Kat reaches the ground and move quickly back to cover and concealment, hiding behind a fallen log in the brush.
Watching, waiting, she sees and hears no sign of alarm or pursuit

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

While Kat is moving to scout, Raen looks to his comrades and whispers. "Sandy ground close to the lake. Do you think there could be quicksand there? The lizard folk probably have a tail and can get free of it faster than we could if we hit a patch. Can anyone tell whether there's quicksand or not? Or tell us how to look for it? Last thing I want is to get trapped immobile waiting for a dragon to eat me."
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat slips back and reports to the others.

"So are these guys likely to be hostile? We could send someone up the front to parley, and if that goes south, the rest can jump them from behind!"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ROWAN, the river-guide, says,
""I don't think there's any quicksand out there, but there could be muckpools along the waterline, so watch your step if you go that way."
After hearing Kat's report, she offers her opinion:
''I think these manlizards must know something about the dragon. The scale! And how close they built their mound to where it attacked boats and ships on the river...."

THEOPHILUS hunches behind a fallen log with a blanket drawn over his shoulders, muttering about the cold.

TONIO has finished cleaning Sir Clive's gear and started in on his own equipment. He glances at Kat for a moment before going back to wiping down his broadsword.

ALWINA, her blue cloak pulled snug about her slim figure, slides closer to Klokulf.
"They have a big fire in there; are they cooking a feast? Is it just for warmth? Lizards grow sleepy when it's cold, out, don't they? Like snakes? We had little snakes at the Palace, in the gardens at summertime. Pretty, harmless things."
She smiles wistfully and then sniffs.
"I fear I'm catching a chill."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Do you suppose maybe they're the real dragon?" Bennedict postulates. "It wouldn't be the first time people have gotten confused about this sort of thing."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

"My sense is that they at least know of the beast." Meela offered. "The river monster that plagues these lands is far too large to be one of them."

Meela paused for a moment, considering the situation. Her gaze lingered on the heap of the mud dwelling.

"If this isn't a warband, these lizardfolk might parley." She continued. "But they are a secretive and intensely private people, favoring seclusion above most other comforts. Even if this is naught but a homestead ... it is likely we will be seen as unwelcome guests."

"I fear that blood will be shed either way ... but I am willing to hail the steading. At least then they would have to leave their warren and greet us -for good or ill - in the light of day."
She continued. "Who knows what traps might lay within that darksome mound?"