Tips on writing first Netbook?

Coordinating community projects
Gravesguard
Conspirator
Conspirator

Tips on writing first Netbook?

Post by Gravesguard »

I've been working on and off for a couple years on a concept for a netbook, a rework/expansion of my favorite domain Scaena. Now that I have a group interested in Ravenloft plus a second online group; I'd like to play test it with them. Afterwords I'd like to write out and release it. I've poured over many of the ones published on this site, but was curious what people like to see in them, any person favorites, or just tips in general for organization/voice.
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Tips on writing first Netbook?

Post by Mischief »

Gravesguard wrote:I've been working on and off for a couple years on a concept for a netbook, a rework/expansion of my favorite domain Scaena. Now that I have a group interested in Ravenloft plus a second online group; I'd like to play test it with them. Afterwords I'd like to write out and release it. I've poured over many of the ones published on this site, but was curious what people like to see in them, any person favorites, or just tips in general for organization/voice.
I'm seconding interest in this topic.

As far as general things I think cross all editions and most TTRPGS.
  • Legible fonts for body text and headers - better readable than creepy
  • Good formatting
  • A comprehensive index
  • Art. Raid the public domain for things to rip or mod to reduce your workload. Wikicommons is a good place to start.
  • Non-spoilery character profile art that DMs could flash to the players if possible.
Things I would do personally.
  • A dramatis personae list: full name, pronunciation, a half-sentence description, page number of introduction in text, and statblock page number if relevant.
  • An introduction from an extra-diegetic view (an out of world perspective) - a 1-3 sentence story and setting sell.
  • In the intro, a brief history of the setting and how it came to be - this would be a good place to overview the Darklord's fall and history.
  • In the intro, a very short paragraph summary of the story as it would be expected to play out if it doesn't go off the rails. (If there is a story.)
  • In the intro, a 'themes to hit' section. People who want to play Ravenloft are interested in gothic tropes already, but this would cover the horror subflavors and dramatic themes you hope DMs hit for your setting in particular.
  • A "Starting the Adventure" section with sample story hooks to lure PCs into the setting.
  • A glossary of setting-relevant terms that are likely to be needed. (May be omitted if there isn't jargon.)
  • Optional but helpful, a one sentence canned description for each area/room if you are getting that specific. ("Gray smoke issues from the chimney of this large, two­ story wooden building with a stone foundation and sag­ging tile roof, upon which several ravens have perched. A painted wooden sign hanging above the main entrance depicts a blue waterfall.")
  • A d20/50 trinkets table - potential plot-hook junk for characters to own or find. The list may double as weird things to find stashed away because 50 gold and ruby is less interesting than 50 gold and a ruby inside a refilling bag of fake mustaches that crawl like caterpillars. (A half-burnt script written entirely in fiendish runes, a stage dagger with trick retractable blade coated with dried blood, a roll of sticking plaster that glows dimly in the dark, a lady's lace fan, smashable prop wine bottle made of sugar, a box of menacing finger puppets, etc.)