Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails Chapter 20: Bloody Sunrise

Post by ewancummins »

ALAIN

More memories, flooding back.

The sun on a tiled roof in Phlan...a hotter daystar burning the parapet stones of Tarth Moorda in the edge of the Bright Desert.
A Phlanite lady walks past...
His sister's face, smiling.

It has been like this, off and on, for some time.
His journal helps.

And last night he had glimpse of the moon, her bright tears hidden by the clouds.
But two moons shine on his true home, he recalled then.
Why the moon now? A wagon rolling past, moon and stars signs on the painted board.

The memories feel stronger now.

Darkon was a delirious dream, Nosos a nightmare, the Misty world a place he knows, where he made his way, but...

Then, when being questioned again by the Magistrate's men, he remembers it.
His true name.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KLOKULF

The ship south has been impounded , apparently, or at least delayed.

Alwina seems untroubled, busy as she is with the baby girl.
She coos to to her and the little girl gurgles happily in return and grabs at her fingers.
The milk of Bane's dark bounty seems not to have produced any unusual effects in the infant.

Theophilus remains properly servile and uncomplaining, working on whatever petty tasks his master sets him to.
In his spare time, when not napping in his cramped quarters or poaching in the kitchen, the boy scribbles fancy signatures on rag paper with a charcoal pen he's made or stolen.
VIEW CONTENT:
Before his noontide prayers, Feyd comes.

The man just strolls into the common room and takes a seat near Klokulf as the latter finishes an early luncheon.
He carries a pitcher of milk and a platter of fruit and cheese.

When no one else is in the room, he shifts his seat closer and says quietly, without looking at Klokulf,

"One bird lived to sing. I don't like the noises it will make. "
He sips his milk.

"I am leaving now. Long walk. You should come, breathe fresh air. It will keep you healthy. "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KAT

Finds Tonio in the marketplace, on an errand for Sir Clive.

The burly young man looks relieved to see her, after he gets over his surprise at the black locks she sports now.
"Kat! Your hair...It looks nice, I mean, but...Uh. You missed a lot! Some villains murdered Master Cadorna. I heard the Boss..Sir Clive, I mean. I heard him talking about it with the Watch this morning. Those robbers you fought last night stole something valuable from Cadorna and maybe they robbed another place too, the other night. And it looks like they are the assassins. The guards won't let us get on that ship. Sir Clive says not to worry because we have not committed any crimes."

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"You like the new look? I'm not sure about it... don't mention it to anyone till I've had time to think it over!"

Grins at him, then looks serious

"Look, I'm not sure Sir Clive's right about this. The watch have three jobs: protect the rich people, collect the bribes from the crime bosses, and beat any common people who start to think they are worth anything. That and pretend to solve crimes by grabbing the nearest poor person and saying it was them. Sir Clive won't have seen any of that....he's rich and on the right side of the deal... but you and I need to be careful. Stay close to him, okay? and don't mention me. With no noble patron I need to lie low."

She smiles warmly at him then frowns slightly

"Did anyone say just who those assassins are? and if there are any left? I'm guessing they're not too pleased with us"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KAT

Tonio replies, " I don't know. I just know the Watch are looking for the killers and burglars. Somebody mentioned gloves. I didn't understand that part."

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:
VIEW CONTENT:
Before his noontide prayers, Feyd comes.

The man just strolls into the common room and takes a seat near Klokulf as the latter finishes an early luncheon.
He carries a pitcher of milk and a platter of fruit and cheese.

When no one else is in the room, he shifts his seat closer and says quietly, without looking at Klokulf,

"One bird lived to sing. I don't like the noises it will make. "
He sips his milk.

"I am leaving now. Long walk. You should come, breathe fresh air. It will keep you healthy. "
VIEW CONTENT:
"I have to think carefully about walking for too long. I have an afternoon appointment with Tyr, and I would hate to think what he would assume if I were absent."
He rubs his temples in thought. "The exercise might clear my head. Do you have an Eye on the water, or will there be a load to carry on this walk?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE INN
KLOKULF
VIEW CONTENT:
"I've kept an Eye on the water, yes. Want to go look for your stray kitten? The cat catchers are out. They might throw her in a cage. You do want her back, yes?"

Feyd briefly shoves the hilt of a dagger from his right shirtsleeve, a questioning look on his face.
VIEW CONTENT:
"She and the others likely have no interest in going where we are walking," Klokulf begins.

"Unless . . . Yûlash"
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KLOKULF takes a little walk.
VIEW CONTENT:
And from Feyd he learns of a contact that can deliver him, his concubine, slave, and goods to Zhentil Keep after official attention has been shifted elsewhere and before the Tyrrans call him back in for any further examination. The Harper hunt just needs some encouragement to really get moving...

THE HEARING AT THE COURT OF TYR

Alain, Sir Clive, and Klokulf each face examination in turn by a tribunal of blue robed, steel-helmed clerics of Tyr in that grim deity’s sturdily-built chapel.
They are required to swear oaths and the judges then use some sort of truth-seeking magic on them.
Alain and the knight give perfectly honest, straightforward answers.

Klokulf speaks willingly and well, though his companions may notice the way he dodges questions related to religion and skims over his business dealings in town. If he has lied about anything, the judges don’t seem to have noticed. Or maybe they have. None of the men being questioned can see the priests’ faces now as the visors went down as the inquest began.

The clerical court moves on to other witnesses.

THAT EVENING…
A sailor brings a note to Alain.

“Found it in your friend’s hammock, master.”

It reads:

Friends,
I cannot remain in Phlan even one more night. The Door in the Mists waits in Raven’s Bluff, and I must see my beloved family again. Their lives may be in danger.
It may be that you and I shall meet again. Good fortune to you all.

Yours,
Bennedict Gehrmann

This is either Benn’s real handwriting or an excellent forgery. And the paper looks like one of his notebooks, cream-colored stationery with the watermark of a Richemuloise maker.
A check reveals that Benn has indeed vanished. He just went for a stroll and didn’t come back to the ship.

THE NEXT FEW DAYS

ALAIN
Gets an offer from the city government:

Assist in the investigation of Master Cadorna’s murder for at least sixty days or until the crime has been solved and he will receive all the items he took after the street fight as his property. The city will also pay for his room and board and provide him with a servant.
Or he can do as he pleases, staying or going, but forfeit the items.
VIEW CONTENT:
wand of fireballs, brooch of shielding, alchemical silver dagger +1, a bloodstone trade bar
SIR CLIVE
spends his time reading chapbooks, training Tonio in the fighting arts, and visiting the Temple of Tyr.

KAT has gone missing.
The Watch mounts a search for her, but with the ongoing hunt for the fugitive Harpers suspected of assassinating Porphyrio Cadorna, the case of the absent adventuress slips down the scale of importance.

Two city gate guards who let pass a black-haired beauty who had presented a cleverly forged paper never figure out they’ve made a mistake. Not that they’d turn themselves in.

Nor does the fisherman who transported that same woman to a nearby village in exchange for a gold crown breathe a word of the nocturnal trip. Not even to his wife, who is as jealous as she is sharp-tongued. Better to let her think he got drunk and drifted out into the Moonsea than admit to a romantic night journey with a bonnie lass like that!

END OF CHAPTER

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote:RAEN

Raen has been quietly studying his spellbook when Kat raps on his door and hisses a warning about Watch and questions and some sort of trouble.

A peek outside shows the hall is clear for the moment, but he hears footsteps on the stairs. Could be the Watch, or maybe another guest or a servant. He may be able to slip out now if he doesn't dawdle. His things were already packed and bundled in anticipation of the sea voyage, laid in a roll on his bed.
Not having any idea at all with what Kat rumbled about, Raen remains put.
As the events unfold, he cooperates with the Watch, telling them he was with that strange group, practically till they killed the dragon. He has no problems to undergo magical examination, as he knows nothing.
As one by one his former companions slip away and vanish, Raen considers his options for the future.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!