Lost Trails Chapter 20: Bloody Sunrise

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lost Trails Chapter 20: Bloody Sunrise

Post by ewancummins »

BLOODY SUNRISE

Not long after sunrise, as Kat comes down the stairs for an early pre-embarkation breakfast, having packed her kit for the ship, she spies Sir Clive in the common room talking with an officer in the black tabard of the Phlan Watch. Other Watchmen question servants or stroll about the place, hands on the mace-hafts.
Hiding quickly and eavesdropping from the bannister, she hears Sir Clive describing the party’s affray of the previous night! Nothing in the knight’s calm voice or dignified demeanor suggests he’s even remotely worried or intimidated. He uses the phrase “lawful self-defense” and asserts his perfect comfort with swearing an oath and undergoing an examination by a cleric of Tyr.
Of course, Sir Clive might not have broken any laws, unless failing to report the fight was a crime. He didn’t lift so much as a copper coin from anybody…

Benn isn’t in his room. Alain and Klokulf are in their respective chambers, it sounds like.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Lost Trails Chapter 20: Bloody Sunrise

Post by kintire »

Kat moves swiftly back and along the corridor. pausing at Raen, Alain and Klokulf's room to give them the same piece of news.

"The inn is swarming with Watchmen, and Sir Clive is spilling everything to them. I'm proposing to slip out quietly and meet you at the dock. Anyone who wishes to join me is welcome, otherwise, try to look rich."

She slips out of the most obscure side entrance she knows, with the intention of making her way to the docks by back streets
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

TO THE WATERFRONT
kintire wrote:Kat moves swiftly back and along the corridor. pausing at Raen, Alain and Klokulf's room to give them the same piece of news.

"The inn is swarming with Watchmen, and Sir Clive is spilling everything to them. I'm proposing to slip out quietly and meet you at the dock. Anyone who wishes to join me is welcome, otherwise, try to look rich."

She slips out of the most obscure side entrance she knows, with the intention of making her way to the docks by back streets

Kat makes her way to dockside gate in the city walls and onto the wharves only to find the ship that's to carry her to the south already boarded by Watchmen.
No way they're the guys from the inn, unless they grew wings.
They are questioning the crew.
She sees Benn on deck, talking with one of them.
After a moment, the black tabard turns away from Benn and moves to speak with a man in a fur hat and felt-lined brown cloak. Possibly the shipmaster from the air of command about him.

Benn steps to the rail and looks over the dock, as if searching for someone.
He shakes his head and turns back to pace the deck.

The Watchmen are searching the vessel now.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu May 28, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KLOKULF

Kat's warning finds him ready for travel. Alwina mumbles sleepily in the bed, but her things are mostly packed.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu May 28, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RAEN

Raen has been quietly studying his spellbook when Kat raps on his door and hisses a warning about Watch and questions and some sort of trouble.

A peek outside shows the hall is clear for the moment, but he hears footsteps on the stairs. Could be the Watch, or maybe another guest or a servant.

He may be able to slip out now if he doesn't dawdle. His things were already packed and bundled in anticipation of the sea voyage, laid in a roll on his bed.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain decides to go down to talk with the watch with Clive .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:Alain decides to go down to talk with the watch with Clive .

The Watch officer questions Alain about the events of the previous night.
Alain's story pretty closely matches Sir Clive's, it seems, as the officer seems unsurprised.

''The dead men didn't have much on them. Did you take anything?"

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

ewancummins wrote:

Alain's story pretty closely matches Sir Clive's, it seems, as the officer seems unsurprised.

"Yes I did " Nonchalantly Answers .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:
ewancummins wrote:

"Yes I did " Nonchalantly Answers .

''Alright, we'll need you to turn that over to a magistrate's bailiff. What I need to know straight off is if you think any of it was Master Cadorna's property.''

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Ok, I can give the gear over . To the tell you the truth I had not even thought any of it being Cardonas at all . Alain replies simply .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:Ok, I can give the gear over . To the tell you the truth I had not even thought any of it being Cardonas at all . Alain replies simply .

''The courts will sort it out. You worked for Master Cadorna recently, yes? I need to know about that and about any enemies he had, known to you.""

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"We just came back from a monster hunt outside of town for him . I don't know who his enemies are period ."Alain answers .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:"We just came back from a monster hunt outside of town for him . I don't know who his enemies are period ."Alain answers .
''So you don't have any idea who murdered him? We were hoping your group might know something useful."

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain in shock at hearing about the death of their patron says "When the hell did this happen to him ?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:Alain in shock at hearing about the death of their patron says "When the hell did this happen to him ?"
''Last night.''