No votes

Total votes: 42

ScS of the Fraternity

Quoth the Raven X: Themes

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Hi Everyone,

As issue 9 closes in, we turn to the big one zero:

Quoth the Raven X

And with a number like X, you know its gotta be good!

So, lets open up the discussion for the themes of this issue.

If someone would like to include another option, please click on Other and then insert your theme in a message.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Gentleman

Post by Gentleman »

Bogeymen.

Pleeeease... You've put it off for two issues already... Pretty pleeeease...
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Also had to vote for Bogeymen ;)

However, the oriental and frozen themes were very tempting.
Swallow your soul!
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

I've got to vote for the Frozen Reaches theme... mainly because I actually have an article I'd like to submit along these lines. Been kicking the idea around for awhile, wrote a rough draft, lost the rough draft to a hard drive crash, you know how it goes.

Of course, I might want to wait and see if my article for QtR#9 is accepted first. :wink:

Other than the Frozen theme, I'd have to go with Criminals/Madmen or the Orient theme.
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Desmond LaRouche
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Desmond LaRouche »

A 'Raven' issue on the Oriental domains would be interesting. :)

I suppose it's to much to hope that something about I'Cath might be included as well if it wins? I know most folks don't see to care for it, but something about Tsien Chiang's domain strikes me...
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

why is sri raji lumped into orient? It seemed like India to me. i would think an Indian would be offended at that.
RLCore - A Ravenloft campaign setting for Neverwinter Nights

Athena Virtual Productions, Inc.
www.AtlasEditor.com
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

Just curious (this would be for whenever QtR does broach exotic domains or arctic ones) I'm assuming it will be QtR#11 or further with everyone voting on shadow fay and bogey men.

Is it possible you guys would consider weaving the fan-fic domains in with the canon? or contacting those authors to see if they would work on such an approach?
It could be interesting to weave in the Empire's tropics close to The Verdurous Lands

or I'cath, Rokushima Taiyoo, and fan created oriential domains.

I've been attempting something along these lines working many of the fan created Sea domains, along with the canon, and magazine articles all into one work. The final step will be to add in the pirates and such of qtr#9 when it comes out next week.

What does the community thinks of this 'definitive ravenloft' idea?

My vote for Bogey men is adapting the city on the edge of midnight from the old d&d cartoon.
Its possible the kids actually stumbled into the Nightmare Lands in that one. I could see the Nightwalker and that place in one of those dream spheres.
:P
Last edited by daffy72 on Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

www.AtlasEditor.com
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

daffy72 wrote:why is sri raji lumped into orient? It seemed like India to me. i would think an Indian would be offended at that.
I htink it is due to that it has a common asian theme with the rest, even if it isn't strictly oriental ;)

Desmond, I'Cath is a great domain to run if you have access to A Chinese Ghost Story, but use the live action for a basis than the anime remake ;)
Swallow your soul!
Lost and Damned
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lost and Damned »

I voted for The Evil that Men Do, after all men are the worse kind of monsters.....
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural...

[url=http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_66&products_id=701&affiliate_id=6326]Support Ravenloft PDF's at Drive Thru RPGs NOW![/url]
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

daffy72 wrote:why is sri raji lumped into orient? It seemed like India to me. i would think an Indian would be offended at that.
Why?
What's there to be offended by?
The "Orient" refers to Asian cultures in general, if by a European point of view.
And last I checked, the Indian subcontinent is still firmly attached to Asia-proper.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

although India is part of the asian continent (actually its a country that covers most of the India subcontinent along with Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, if you want to get technical) since it plowed into Asia, however as it is described in the ravenloft materials i would classify Sri Raji and the wildlands as 'tropics'

And the other as 'orient' as applied to ravenloft

since both of these places are steeped in such diverse cultures and completely different environments there is more then enough content to generate 2 quoth the ravens if you ask me, especially when you consider all the tropical and oriential domains already created by fans, hense my second post about a 'definitive ravenloft'

www.AtlasEditor.com
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

I don't see why we would need two Quoths to cover both. Yes, granted, both ends of Asia hold radically different and diverse cultures, but, they have all had influences on each other.
After all, Buddhism started in India, but has flourished throughout Asia, including China, and Japan. And one can even think of Tibet as being in the middle of a spectrum between Indian and Chinese cultures.
There are lots of common themes running throughout Asia: everyone loves lotuses, in India, they love lotuses, especially in metaphor, and in China, too, they love lotuses, especially in soups and dumplings.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The Orient generally refers to countries of Asia or the East. India technically qualifies. Although it really is a broad term that alot of people dislike being called. It conjurs up images and perceptions this 'mystical mysterious orient' of old, stereotypes that were big in the 19th century.

I'm going for boogey men cause it sounds like an interesting theme and I have some ideas cooking for feyers. Calling dibs now. :D
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Though I dearly love Bogey Men, I had to vote for the evil that men do. Some of the most disturbing stuff could be brought into this section, and human evils can be inserted into pretty much any campaign--high magic or low, CL 2 or CL 9, any campaign can use a chilling madman. Bogey men are more for higher magic campaigns, things from the Orient wouldn't fit too well in Falkovnia . . . you get the picture. And in addition to that versatility, the variety would be huge!
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I'm gonna let you guys decide this one. See, I'd love to do 'the Evil That Men Do' but most of my stuff would fall under the Masque of the Red Death setting, which is all well and good, but I couldn't do any RavenLoft Stuff and QtR seems to lean more in that direction. I'd also need someone to write up the ghosts and monster specifications for me. I have tons of research on historical crimes and criminals, but no access to the material to give them gaming statistics. I was able to write the article 'The Old Brewery' for the Karg's Book of Sacrifices but that had no stats. Anybody willing to team up?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D