OOC Crimson Chains: 5e Seeking 3-5 players

Online roleplaying at the Café
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OOC Crimson Chains: 5e Seeking 3-5 players

Post by JMaytr »

Looking for 3-5 players for a cosmic/body horror adventure set in a generic setting. Using 5e rules. This will be a sort of playtest. Players will be credited.
Attachments
Crimsona.jpg
Crimsona.jpg (166.12 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: OOC Crimson Chains: 5e Seeking 3-5 players

Post by ewancummins »

I'm in.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Color me intrigued.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

yes, sounds interesting!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

If the PCs start off at 1st or 2nd level:

Character Name: Walleran of the Dunswolds
Alignment: Neutral (good tendencies)
Class: Fighter
Race: Human
Backstory:
Walleran set out on his career as an adventurer a fortnight ago, after twenty years of garrison duty in the Dunswolds, where bands of sheep-rustling kobolds were the worst monsters.
He drank too much for a couple of days after his second wife left him—not in mourning but in celebration of her departure. She’d become an insufferable nag.
When he sobered up, he was surprised to learn he’d requested, and been granted, his full twenty-year pension all at once, as payment in kind: sword, shield, armor, and a mule.
Off to adventure! Heroes get the three Gs: gold, girls, and glory. And if you can't always be the hero, you can still sometimes look like the hero...
He’d wanted to do something like this many years ago, as a young man, before he got hitched and had kids.

Walleran is about forty.
His daughters are married off and his son is apprenticed to a smith.

I have other ideas if the adventure is higher level. I've got a bard PC from a stalled (maybe) game on D&D Beyond, 4th level.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Excellent! looks like we have 3 players so far! Welcome aboard! I will post an OOC thread with background details shortly. Please use as Ewan has and create your PC. here are some backgrounds I have added for the campaign should you choose to use them.

Legend Seeker: There are rumors of monster lairs and forgotten tombs all across Brynndell. Add to that the notoriety one can gain from winning the Clemmonton Cheese Chase; you could become a legendary adventurer!
Home Town: You were born in or around Clemmonton and have always wanted to win the Cheese Chase. Running the dangerous race is a badge of honor. It’s worth more than cheese; you’ll become a hometown hero!
Local Chef: As a resident of Clemmonton, you always look forward to the cheese festival, but not for the race, but for an opportunity to feed the villagers one of your exotic dishes. You love cooking and hope to become a celebrity chef!
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Walleran of the Dunswolds. I love him
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:Walleran of the Dunswolds. I love him

So it shall be.
I first thought him up for a game Mike was going to run.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

How are we generating PCs? 1st level? I can do that in ten minutes. Random rolls? Picking the traits. bond, etc. usually takes longer than the mechanical stuff, but I have a pretty good idea of his personality and background, so it shouldn't be difficult. And he'll have a straightforward, STR-based, sword and board build. If the variant human is allowed, I'll take that option so he can start with the shield-master feat. Hmmm, and protection fighting style. He can help protect others in the party.

What else? Soldier background, most likely. Extra language? Do kobolds speak Draconic? If so, likely that.
If kobolds don't fit this part of Bryndell, I can swap that out for something else, like gremlins. Whatever works best.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

use the standard array for stats. (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) any background/race is fine.

I'm not that knowledgeable of Realms lore so I am using a homebrew area. Use whatever gods/options you like.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:use the standard array for stats. (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) any background/race is fine.

I'm not that knowledgeable of Realms lore so I am using a homebrew area. Use whatever gods/options you like.
Realms? Isn't this set on Celmae? In Bryndell, no?

Walleran
human (variant)
fighter 1st level

16 STR

14 DEX

14 CON

8 INT

12 WIS

10 CHR

ARMOR CLASS 18 (scale, shield, DEX)
HIT POINTS 12

extra language: Kobold

fighting style: protection

background: soldier

skills and proficiencies:
athletics +5
intimidation +2
perception +3
animal handling +3
deception +2
dice
wagon

stuff:

scalemail
shield
longsword
crossbow with 20 bolts
dungeoneer's pack
dagger (trophy--it was the sword of a kobold)
dice
common clothes
pouch containing 10 gp
rank insignia
pack mule with bridle, feedbag, etc.

NOTES

He's quite strong, quick and hardy despite his age.
Not an intellectual, but perceptive and tricky.
Walleran may try to bluff or bully his way out of trouble rather than fighting out, but he's hardly a pushover in a real scrap.

EDIT If it's okay, I've traded in the chainmail he gets in his package for cheaper scalemail and used the difference in cost to
'buy' a mule. Not to get any extra cash. If this works, I'll leave him just as he is.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Character Name: Caitlin of Clemmonton
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Sorcerer
Race: Half Elf
Backstory:
Caitlin is the daughter of a local farmer's wife. However, since the farmer and his wife are both human, her half elf status proved.... embarrassing. She was sent down to work in the local inn as early as was possible, and is not generally welcome back. However, she was not content to face the life of a tavern girl, and has been trying to get in touch with her elven side. About a year ago a travelling elf took pity on her (or possibly had a guilty conscience...) and took her up to a nearby hill in a wild storm, awaking her spirit to the wild skies. She has tried to keep her new powers quiet, but rumours are spreading, and she is beginning to feel it is time to seek wider horizons.

She is nineteen years old.
Caitlin2.jpg
Caitlin2.jpg (19.36 KiB) Viewed 9060 times
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

It is in Brynndell, in Celmae...but for players not familiar with that setting I figured realms would be easier to generate a character. I will introduce customs, gods, and mores from the setting in play.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Caitlin of Clemmonton

great character! I will PM you in a day about local knowledge about Clemmonton you will start play with.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:It is in Brynndell, in Celmae...but for players not familiar with that setting I figured realms would be easier to generate a character. I will introduce customs, gods, and mores from the setting in play.

Walleran will make all the usual and fitting offerings to the Grey Maiden.