Meeting Strahd Von Zarovich in Strahd's Possession

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Meeting Strahd Von Zarovich in Strahd's Possession

Post by tomokaicho »

Timestamped on YouTube. Follow the link the jump to the meeting with Strahd.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Meeting Strahd Von Zarovich in Strahd's Possession

Post by onmyoji »

Wow. I hooked this and Stone Prophet up for my Raspberry Pi, but haven't gotten around to playing either yet. Strahd looks...... definitely not how I expected. But I guess it's a relic of the time the game was made.

Anyone know off the top of their heads if it's a -good- game? Or is it just something we should play because Ravenloft?

— onmyoji
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

onmyoji wrote:Anyone know off the top of their heads if it's a -good- game? Or is it just something we should play because Ravenloft?
I had played a little bit back in 1994 also Stone Prophet which is set in Har' Akir in a friends computer since I didn't own one back then. I remember it was hard, also probably as I wasn't (and still I am not) good in computer games. Back then I had the impression of playing Wolfenstein 3D with a fantasy twist. So I believe it would be nice for someone playing games that they used to play when they were younger but a bit boring if you play it now compared with all the games that have been made all these decades. I have seen the walkthrough of both Ravenloft games in youtube, personally I am satisfied just with that I don't have to play it through.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Mephisto wrote:I had played a little bit back in 1994 also Stone Prophet which is set in Har' Akir in a friends computer since I didn't own one back then. I remember it was hard, also probably as I wasn't (and still I am not) good in computer games. Back then I had the impression of playing Wolfenstein 3D with a fantasy twist. So I believe it would be nice for someone playing games that they used to play when they were younger but a bit boring if you play it now compared with all the games that have been made all these decades. I have seen the walkthrough of both Ravenloft games in youtube, personally I am satisfied just with that I don't have to play it through.
Good to know. I do have the intent to play them both sooner or later (especially since my current campaign is GC 1-4, so Stone Prophet might have some impact). And I'm a classic gamer, so I don't think the dated-ness of either game will matter too much to me.

— onmyoji
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

onmyoji wrote:Good to know. I do have the intent to play them both sooner or later (especially since my current campaign is GC 1-4, so Stone Prophet might have some impact). And I'm a classic gamer, so I don't think the dated-ness of either game will matter too much to me.
Have a look at the walkthrough that I linked. SSI Gold Box level this ain't.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

tomokaicho wrote:Have a look at the walkthrough that I linked. SSI Gold Box level this ain't.
I did watch a bit of it, but not too much. It'll be an interesting play, to say the least.

— onmyoji
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

I played and beat both this and Menzobarranzen which used the same engine (never got Stone Prophet until years later). The games we're fun but more challenging than they needed to be due to the game mechanics. Think Eye of the Beholder style stuff in full 3d real-time, with old school control sensibilities. Also it never really embraced the horrific aspect of RL, just video-gamed it up. Much like the DDO and Neverwinter expansions as well. I wonder if anyone ever made a decent Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 Ravenloft mod
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

[quote="Gautsu"I wonder if anyone ever made a decent Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 Ravenloft mod[/quote]

I know the Neverwinter MMO had a Ravenloft expansion, a couple years back, but that's all I know. Not sure if it was properly "horrored-up" or not.

— onmyoji
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Gautsu wrote:I wonder if anyone ever made a decent Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 Ravenloft mod
I played several Ravenloft mods on Neverwinter Nights 1 quite a few years ago, I remember playing both the original Ravenloft module and Night of the Walking Dead and possibly others. I will confess to always playing with the 'dm_god' cheat. :lol:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

onmyoji wrote:I know the Neverwinter MMO had a Ravenloft expansion, a couple years back, but that's all I know. Not sure if it was properly "horrored-up" or not.
I played it very briefly, until xbox wanted me to pay monthly for the right to play online. Didn't get far enough to know if it was properly Ravenlofty.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

Thanks Catman, I'll have to look through the old Neverwinter Nights archive sites to try to fins them.

The Neverwinter and DDO expansions really do not do justice to the setting. You have Vistani, Strand, and Barovia, with monsters just hanging put in the fields. The zones look cool, especially Castle Ravenloft, but it is missing out on the flavor Ravenloft should have.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Gautsu wrote:Thanks Catman, I'll have to look through the old Neverwinter Nights archive sites to try to fins them.

The Neverwinter and DDO expansions really do not do justice to the setting. You have Vistani, Strand, and Barovia, with monsters just hanging put in the fields. The zones look cool, especially Castle Ravenloft, but it is missing out on the flavor Ravenloft should have.

Unfortunately MMOs by their natures don't really allow all that much else.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Gautsu wrote:I played and beat both this and Menzobarranzen which used the same engine (never got Stone Prophet until years later). The games we're fun but more challenging than they needed to be due to the game mechanics. Think Eye of the Beholder style stuff in full 3d real-time, with old school control sensibilities. Also it never really embraced the horrific aspect of RL, just video-gamed it up. Much like the DDO and Neverwinter expansions as well. I wonder if anyone ever made a decent Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 Ravenloft mod
Looking through the Boat House links, there is Prisoners of the Mist, a Neverwinter Nights persistent world set in Ravenloft.