Conjurers get the short shift in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Conjurers get the short shift in Ravenloft

Post by KingCorn »

I really like this concept, thus making Conjurers more viable to play, while still leaving them with severe risks to the ignorant or arrogant, and thus expanding the encounters of the mists while still retaining their rules.

However, this implies that the reality wrinkle would also be present in summoned elementals or other forces such as celestial animals, or something like Isolde. Just as well, does that mean in your canon Isolde could leave at any time, but remains bound by her oath and sense of responsibility? Or did she break some taboo which both kept her bound to the mists, and trapped her in human form?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I like the idea of conjured creatures having the mist subtype but I propose another for anyone to use, summoned creatures are not extraplanar but must be native to the domain they are conjured (the monster list in the description of domains from the Ravenloft Gazetteers comes in handy in this situation). Also in the case of a conjurer summoning a creature that the darklord has command over, it may end up attacking its summoner, depending on the darklords proximity and intentions.

Party Cleric: By the beard of Tempus! We are surrounded by these ferocious wolves!
Party Ranger: Don't be frightened friar I will calm them.
Party Fighter: I will hack them down!
Party Ranger: There is no need to, they are just animals.
Party Bard: They are too many I don't think we can make it...
Party Conjurer: I believe it was that new tune you played, somehow it attracted them.

A tall black haired bard with a monocle steps out from the shadows of a tree behind the wolves

:lucas: : Do you mean my tune?
Party Ranger: I knew there was something wrong with that bard... He is the Alpha if we kill him the wolves will retreat!
Party Conjurer: What if I become an Alpha too? NO-AH-IN-WENT-AH IN LOO-KEM MOON-DUS- IN MEN-SAH-MAY-AH_AIR-ANT
VIEW CONTENT:
---Carnage---
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

KingCorn wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:40 pm Just as well, does that mean in your canon Isolde could leave at any time, but remains bound by her oath and sense of responsibility? Or did she break some taboo which both kept her bound to the mists, and trapped her in human form?
Isolde is hardly without blame. Obsession is a no-no in the modality of Ravenloft, and Isolde is right up there with Mordenheim in terms of obsessiveness. Can she leave? I don't know. Despite being of good alignment, I'd say that Isolde is an outsider than has a "dark desire" to remain. I discussed this idea in this other thread.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Semi-related, but how does this apply to Nightmares in the Mists?
Nightmares are technically fiends, yet they seem common enough that they are said to roam Nova Vaasa at night, and many a villain seems to have one as a steed in the mists.
How can this be squared? Are these just unique, a sort of pseudo-nightmare created by the Mists, or do Nightmares have some ability to enter the Mists at will like Shadow Demons can?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

KingCorn wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:33 pm Semi-related, but how does this apply to Nightmares in the Mists?
Nightmares are technically fiends, yet they seem common enough that they are said to roam Nova Vaasa at night, and many a villain seems to have one as a steed in the mists.
How can this be squared? Are these just unique, a sort of pseudo-nightmare created by the Mists, or do Nightmares have some ability to enter the Mists at will like Shadow Demons can?
I believe the Nova Vaasa part was written before VRGtFiends and so there was no concept of a reality wrinkle back then. As far as I know this is an open field to explore, but I like the idea of pseudo-nightmare created by the Mists.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

This seems the more appropriate place to post this.

Thoughts on this 5th edition conjuration spell?

Valyndra's Arcane Echo
4th-level Conjuration (Wizard, sorcerer, Cleric of Aionarrex, Kestelar, Vecna)
Casting time: 1 action (or more)
Range: Varies
Components: V, M (a tiny golden gyroscope worth 100 gp)
Duration: Varies

You invoke the arcane knowledge of the wizard Valyndra of long-lost Tamador to replicate the effects of other spells. When you cast this spell, choose one spell of 3rd level or lower from your own spell list, or a spell of 2nd level or lower from another class's spell list. You must be aware of the existence of such a spell, which may require an arcana, religion or nature skill check. The chosen spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots and it must not have a material component worth more than 500 gp. You replicate the chosen spell, including its effects, range, duration, casting time (minimum 1 action) and other attributes. The spell is considered to be cast at 3rd level (if it is from your spell list) or at 2nd level (if it is from a different class' list).

Casting this spell places a minor but noticeable strain on you. After casting Valyndra's Arcane Echo, you experience a minor strain for 1 hour. If you use this spell to emulate a spell that has a component worth 20 gp or more, you experience two effects.
To find the effects, roll 1d6 in the following table (or 2d6 as needed - disregard doubles).
1. Arcane Fatigue: You have disadvantage on Concentration checks for maintaining spells.
2. Mental Distraction: You take a -1 penalty to all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma skill checks.
3. Exhausting Effort: You gain 1 level of exhaustion as the spell drains your physical energy.
4. Arcane Disruption: Your connection to the Weave of magic becomes unstable. Your next spell with a casting time of 1 action has its casting time increased to 1 minute.
5. Mental Vulnerability: The strain on your mind makes you more vulnerable to mind-affecting effects and magic. You have disadvantage on fear and charm saving throws, including fear/horror/madness effects.
6. Overextended Magic: The casting of this spell consumes an additional spell slot of 1st level or higher. If no appropriate spell slot is available, the spell fails and the casting action is wasted.

At Higher levels: When you use a 6th level slot to cast this spell, you can emulate a spell from your spell list of 5th level or lower, and a spell from a different spell list of 3rd level or lower. When you use an 8th level slot to cast this spell, you can emulate a spell from your spell list of 6th level or lower or a spell from a different spell list of 4th level or lower. These spells are cast at the spell level indicated; i.e. a dispel magic spell cast using a 6th level slot for Valyndra's arcane echo is automatically cast at 5th spell level.

NOTE: I play with 10 exhaustion levels, according to the playtest rules for the 6th edition (or better the 5.5 edition). I.e. #3 is not too harsh.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

KingCorn wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:33 pm Semi-related, but how does this apply to Nightmares in the Mists?
Good grief. I had forgotten about them. A simple fix to these nightmares is to just make them native to the Dread Domains. Under 3.5e rules, instead of being Outsider type, they would be Outsider (Native) and not have a reality wrinkle.