Ravenloft Limited Edition Book

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Ravenloft Limited Edition Book

Post by Hyperbog »

I received the Ravenloft Limited Edition book today, and it doesn't have a number printed on the inside covers anywhere that I can see. It's definitely a legit copy of the book, but from everything I've seen about these there should be an number xx/3000 on the inside cover. Can anyone else corroborate this or do I have a weird one off non-numbered Limited Edition version of the book?
Joël of the FoS

Re: Ravenloft Limited Edition Book

Post by Joël of the FoS »

You mean the 3e era RL limited book? Then yes, indeed, there was a number in the inside cover, and 3 000 max copies made.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

Thanks for the prompt response. That's what I thought, but there's no number anywhere. I'll post pics.
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

R-loft LE Pics
Attachments
20210412_152130 (2).jpg
20210412_152130 (2).jpg (164.49 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
20210412_152124 (2).jpg
20210412_152124 (2).jpg (215.11 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
20210412_152059 (2).jpg
20210412_152059 (2).jpg (124.39 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

R-loft LE Pics
Attachments
20210412_152150 (2).jpg
20210412_152150 (2).jpg (160.4 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
20210412_152142 (2).jpg
20210412_152142 (2).jpg (211.92 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

Did my copy somehow miss the numbering process? Does that make it more rare? I ask because the seller listed this as NEW, and it clearly isn't. Wasn't shrink wrapped, and there's a slight scuff on the cover near the logo that you can see in the pic. Not sure if I should return it, and get another, or keep it.
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

Was there a second printing of these books?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Hyperbog wrote:Was there a second printing of these books?
I'm not aware of one, IIRC there was only one limited edition printing.

The cover is embossed to feel like leather?

FYI, the number was hand written in black ink like "123 / 3000"
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

Yeah. Doesn't feel like real leather obviously, but it's textured, and the textured patterns are exactly what I see in every picture. Interestingly enough there's one other person in a large FB D&D group I'm in that has the exact same type of copy. No Number. That makes two of us now. Only thing I can think of is either a) maybe a few copies flew under the radar, and didn't get hand numbered, or, b) Extra copies may have been printed, which would make sense to cover possible issues like mis-prints, or damages during manufacturing, and these are the extra prints that survived.

I'm torn between getting a low-numbered copy which I can get now, or, keep this, and have a Limited Edition version that's possibly part of a small batch of non-numbered copies.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Where did you get yours from?

I just got a copy and it's still in the shrinkwrap. I don't want to crack the seal just to see the number, but now I'm curious if it even has one...
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

I see you're from 'Canadia'. Lol. You'd be delighted to find the first typo in the book is on the first page where at the bottom it says the book was printed in 'Canda'. Now, I did look it up, and there just so happens to be an Italian commune called Canda, but, I'd wager that these weren't printed in an Italian commune, and instead were printed in Canada.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The number on mine is hand-printed in what appears to be ball-point pen on the inside cover. You're not missing much. :)
Given the relatively niche audience for this, I don't think you have to worry about it being counterfeit or anything. Probably just as you said, some extras they printed that didn't get numbered.
Attachments
20210413_115031.jpg
20210413_115031.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 2058 times
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

Ehh I caved, and bought one still shrink wrapped lol. The one I posted pics of above I had problems with anyway. The seller listed it as new. It wasn't. Wasn't even shrink wrapped. It also had two scuffs on the cover one of which cut into the red logo taking away some of the red color. This wasn't mentioned in the product description. No communication from the seller when contacted. Screw em'. I got a refund, since it was through Amazon, and bought this actual brand new one instead. Thanks to everyone for chiming in though. I greatly appreciate it.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I remember when I bought mine new in the shrink wrap when they were released in October 2001, I had #1243/3000 that I bought from my local Black Dragon game store. I wanted to savor it, as it had been a long time since we had any new Ravenloft material. Instead of opening it right away, I waited. Halloween Night, 2001 was a full moon. I took the wrap off outside under the cold night sky after the last trick-or-treaters had left. I skimmed it by moonlight into the witching hour, then left it outside all night to soak up the Halloween Full Moon. I greatly enjoyed reading it cover to cover the next morning. :arijani:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Catman Jim wrote:left it outside all night to soak up the Halloween Full Moon.
You scared me for a minute there. I thought this was going to end with "...soak up the Halloween rain". :shock:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."