Domains of Delight confirmed.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Domains of Delight confirmed.

Post by Resonant Curse »

While mostly dealing with a different upcoming product, the second half of this article deals with the upcoming Faewild adventure, and it does indeed show that the Domains of Delight are analogous to the Domains of Dread. Eww.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22 ... witchlight
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Domains of Delight confirmed.

Post by Resonant Curse »

"Characters will then cross into the realm of Prismeer, a Domain of Delight ruled by an archfey in a parallel to the Domain of Dread Barovia that serves as a prison for the vampire Strahd von Zarovich in Curse of Strahd. "

is the relevant section.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Resonant Curse wrote:"Characters will then cross into the realm of Prismeer, a Domain of Delight ruled by an archfey in a parallel to the Domain of Dread Barovia that serves as a prison for the vampire Strahd von Zarovich in Curse of Strahd. "

is the relevant section.
My brain internally, right now:

— onmyoji
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Huh, they brought back Fizban!
I liked that old man / avatar. ^_^
JasperWick
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by JasperWick »

I personally like the idea (I had ideas for similar stuff before). It would make sense since the Feywild mirrors the Shadowfell, and even if Ravenloft fans aren't a fan of mirror domains in the Feywild, I can't imagine too much overlap aside from maybe the Carnival so it wouldn't be too hard to ignore it if anything.
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

JasperWick wrote:I personally like the idea (I had ideas for similar stuff before). It would make sense since the Feywild mirrors the Shadowfell, and even if Ravenloft fans aren't a fan of mirror domains in the Feywild, I can't imagine too much overlap aside from maybe the Carnival so it wouldn't be too hard to ignore it if anything.
I agree. Since Ravenloft got stuck in the Shadowfell, it does make sense the Feywild gets something similar. Besides, it's not like we have to use the Domains of Delight if we want a feywild adventure. We can go back to earlier iterations of the Feywild.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

I agree; it's completely easy to ignore it or to just never use it in my campaign. But I'm just appalled at the lazy writing. It would be one thing if this was conceptualized in the glory days of 2E or 3E, back when narrative wasn't super strong...... but for it to happen now just makes it impossible for me to take seriously.

I mean I'm happy to see a 5E Feywild adventure since we've never seen that so far. But like... this just reeks of poor writing. Yeah, the Feywild and Shadowfell are parallel planes. But not everything needs to be parallel. (Unless they're shaping up for some kind of grandiose Dark Crystal kind of unification of the planes and all their inhabitants. But I doubt that's the plan.)

And let's be honest. Comparing this new domain directly to Barovia and name-dropping Strahd might well be a ploy to get people to buy the product in the wake of CoS:Revamped and VRGtR.

—onmyoji
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

onmyoji wrote:I mean I'm happy to see a 5E Feywild adventure since we've never seen that so far. But like... this just reeks of poor writing. Yeah, the Feywild and Shadowfell are parallel planes. But not everything needs to be parallel. (Unless they're shaping up for some kind of grandiose Dark Crystal kind of unification of the planes and all their inhabitants. But I doubt that's the plan.)
Maybe they are setting the ground for The Time of Unparalleled Darkness... :Brain: :P
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

If it comes to it, I am merely going to consider these Domains of Delight a personally formed kingdom for a powerful fey. Unlike Darklords who are prisoners, these fey had these lands cultivated for themselves. I won't call them domains, but just a personalized land for fey who are powerful enough to cultivate them. A kingdom in other worlds. Maybe there is a little parallel since Feywild and Shadowfell are parallel, but it will be more obvious that they are two different things.
TwiceBorn Reborn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by TwiceBorn Reborn »

I'm looking forward to this one, just because it has the potential to be so different from more typical D&D adventures.

I'm especially intrigued by the way the encounters will be designed, as one of the Witchlight campaign's main features is that it can apparently be completed without ever having to engage in physical violence (assuming your players aren't looking for a slaughterfest).
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

TwiceBorn Reborn wrote:I'm especially intrigued by the way the encounters will be designed, as one of the Witchlight campaign's main features is that it can apparently be completed without ever having to engage in physical violence (assuming your players aren't looking for a slaughterfest).
On the one hand, I think that's a cool idea. But on the other, if a campaign being completed without physical violence is the goal, then it seems like there are much better systems to run such a game in than 5E. Ones that award good roleplay with more than just a line like like "the DM can/should award experience/inspiration for good roleplay." On the first hand again, it's kinda cool because any character can smile and any player can roleplay. But on the second, if classes are no longer important and differentiated, then why play D&D? (Not to plug Pathfinder 2 again, but there's an entire subsystem on "social encounters" that would work perfectly for something like this—not to mention a plethora of specialized skills and feats to benefit characters participating in such encounters.)

Just my two cents though.

— onmyoji
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I like it personally.
Tepest should move there as well as Keening and that domain with the Shadow elves that I forget the name of.

I would also like to see Feywild's Sithicus.

How expensive is that product?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Evtrax
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Evtrax »

what is a domain of delight? is is basically a domain of dread reflavored IE the darklords (or whatever the prisoner is called) have commited unspeakable acts worthy of punishment. Or is it like the lightlords who i heard about, true mirrors. or something else completely? i am just confused.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:Ithat domain with the Shadow elves that I forget the name of.
Shadow Elvenland? :Brain:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Evtrax wrote:what is a domain of delight? is is basically a domain of dread reflavored IE the darklords (or whatever the prisoner is called) have commited unspeakable acts worthy of punishment. Or is it like the lightlords who i heard about, true mirrors. or something else completely? i am just confused.
As far as I gather, I think we are just speculating right now.
Mephisto wrote:
alhoon wrote:Ithat domain with the Shadow elves that I forget the name of.
Shadow Elvenland? :Brain:
Arak? The Keening of times gone by? The present-day Shadow Rift?
Unless there is another domain with shadow fey that I have forgotten.