Junji Itô's horror manga universe

Books, movies, television and everything else
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Junji Itô's horror manga universe

Post by Zettaijin »

I've been living in Japan for some years, but until say 5 years ago, I wasn't really serious about learning the language.

Double for learning to read.

However, after getting into Anki and spaced repetition, my level improved to the point that I could read a bit and started getting into horror manga. At first, I'd just read whatever I could find regardless of accessibility or level. Then, I stumbled upon Junji Itô's world.

First was 溶解教室 (Youkai Kyoushitsu - Youkai Classroom with Youkai being supernatural creatures) or Dissolving Classroom. It's a series of tales about a weird demonic girl and her constantly apologetic big brother in a town where people's brains start melting because of them.

Then I found a couple anthology books followed by 渦巻 (Uzumaki - Spiral), a fairly large collection of tales revolving around a town's "spiral" curse and a couple of teens dealing with its fallout. You may have seen or heard of the movie adaptation that covered some of the more famous chapters.

But as you may have seen in my Random Hooks thread, some of his stuff can be adapted into Ravenloft despite the contemporary setting. Any fans of the man's work around these parts?
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Junji Itô's horror manga universe

Post by Daisu »

I am a fan of Junji ito, one of his newest books called Sensor would fit perfectly well with Ravenloft, it also very lovecraftian.
My RPG PC Game: higurashirpg.blogspot.com
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Junji Itô's horror manga universe

Post by Zettaijin »

Daisu wrote:I am a fan of Junji ito, one of his newest books called Sensor would fit perfectly well with Ravenloft, it also very lovecraftian.
The cult leader in that book has potential, I agree, and the ending was certainly very Ito-esque.