Your Ravenloft Videogame

Discussing all things Ravenloft
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Your Ravenloft Videogame

Post by KingCorn »

More then a few of us here have heard of the two classic Ravenloft videos games: Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet. And for the most part they were very fun, eerie romps against canon darklords.
So, say you had an opportunity to make a third one of these? What domain and darklord would you choose, and what would you name it?
For my part, an urban romp through Zhesteria against Sodo and the Marilith Queen to the title City of Masks would be quite the treat
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Your Ravenloft Videogame

Post by Pizza »

Well after reading the Blaustein thread, a bit of winding story leading there would be cool.

Or else something with Bluetspur and the God Brain as the ultimate big bad because Mindflayers are the best.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Elder Scrolls-like open world based on 3E Ravenloft (in the sense of its worldbuilding), with tools/support to mod and expand. Domains, "modules" ("adventures" for you greater than 2's), NPCs, towns, encounters, etc. No need to incorporate ruleset (as it will no doubt distract devs from setting itself/its thematics, which will only defeat the purpose of the game itself), though a superficial flavouring (character sheet, actual spell list rip, etc) would be nice.

Release the Core in expansion packs (North, West, East, South, clusters/whatever) if you gotta justify the hopefully decent-sized budget to non-fan suits.

Yeah.

Provide the world, let us explore/get lost in the Mists...

And I'd name it, get this: Ravenloft. Old fans know what it is; new fans will know what it is. The name does, can, and should carry/continue the legend of all that it is.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

Soulslike ARPG in Necropolis. Character being undead could even explain the inability to die. Maybe make them a revenent
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Tristenoira

I would start the game with the player being in Forfarmax in Hazlan as an introduction were the player escapes the domain just in time to witness the wall of fire closing borders effect and entering Forlorn.
VIEW CONTENT:
There are many event's the player/party can face mostly woth goblyn outdoors, witnessing chopping the forests or even being held captive and have to do the sword dance. Also during the night the Wild Hunt roams the domain with his carriage a really deadly encounter. The forests are full with treants and other carnivorous plants, maybe there is an encounter with Azanwrath (even before becoming a golem) and the druids sanctuary give a safehaven to the player/party and learn about the story of the darklord as being said in Gazetteer I. They decide thay have to go to Castles Tristenoira, maybe encountering another deadly encounter with Aggie in the LAke of Red Tears, as well as many roaming ghosts with mant side trek quests. In the Castle they loose themselves between the timelines while trying to survive and exit, maybe taking Bragain with them in the end before the game ends with a vampyre tracing his or her ancestry to the ApBlancs.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

There was a mod for Neverwonter Nights that was Ravenloft.

Neverwinter has a section for Ravenloft I believe.

There's always Iron and Blood Warriors of Ravenloft for the play station.

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms has a Ravenloft section.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Are we talking Gold box games? Or generally hack & slash / Puzzle like games?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

alhoon wrote:Are we talking Gold box games? Or generally hack & slash / Puzzle like games?
I was thinking something like Strahd's Possesion or Stone Prophet, though the suggestions others have given are great too.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

I was imagining something like Morrowind or the Infinity Engine Forgotten Realms games
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Five wrote:Elder Scrolls-like open world based on 3E Ravenloft (in the sense of its worldbuilding), with tools/support to mod and expand. Domains, "modules" ("adventures" for you greater than 2's), NPCs, towns, encounters, etc. No need to incorporate ruleset (as it will no doubt distract devs from setting itself/its thematics, which will only defeat the purpose of the game itself), though a superficial flavouring (character sheet, actual spell list rip, etc) would be nice.

Release the Core in expansion packs (North, West, East, South, clusters/whatever) if you gotta justify the hopefully decent-sized budget to non-fan suits.

Yeah.

And I'd name it, get this: Ravenloft. Old fans know what it is; new fans will know what it is. The name does, can, and should carry/continue the legend of all that it is.
Five, stop reading my diary! I think the open world would be the best part. The horror could come from players…this is how Prisoners of the Mists does it, the BBEG are other players during events.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Strahdsbuddy wrote:
Five, stop reading my diary! I think the open world would be the best part. The horror could come from players…this is how Prisoners of the Mists does it, the BBEG are other players during events.
Hey man, dreamspawn inserts don't count as rips...!

Seriously, was thinking too of a way to throw in Powers Check (only real rule that I'd personally carry over). If a player fails too many (let's be honest: there would be a ton of em) then they open themselves up to PVP. All Goods and Neutrals get a fair crack at the evil SOBs. A moral alignment system of some sort..

Not sure how but an unlock feature for these characters could be cool too. Become dark lords, be granted keys to the jail (domain dev tools?), and essentially/potentially be a Player DM for their own custom domain...that they now have to defend. When the player isn't active then the system runs the character and provides updates in what went down (theft, defeat, economic ups and downs, etc) when they log back in

Granted that's an add-on that would come with nasty dev headaches (?), but it'd be ideal in my world. Two games in one. Open world adventuring and closed world building/management.

On the surface it looks like Evil is awarded, but locking that character in from the rest of the world with Redemption (domain melt through a ton of good deeds/governance) as the only way of getting back to adventuring, barring creating new character, says otherwise
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

Speaking of Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet, anyone know where to find copies that can be downloaded safely? Watched walkthroughs on youtube and I thought the games looked like a lot of fun.
PrisonerOfTheLand
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by PrisonerOfTheLand »

Speaking of Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet, anyone know where to find copies that can be downloaded safely? Watched walkthroughs on youtube and I thought the games looked like a lot of fun.

Ravenloft Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet can both be purchased at gog . com. * Remember in Strahd's Possession due to an error in range weaponry the programmers tried to make up for it by giving permanent or almost permanent Detect Magic effect after you cast it. * Also, when dealing with level draining attacker's use Negative Plain Protection spell. One guy didnt know this and was on personal crusade in trashing this game with many video's. I myself really enjoyed this game even with the bugs.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Five wrote:Elder Scrolls-like open world based on 3E Ravenloft (in the sense of its worldbuilding), with tools/support to mod and expand. Domains, "modules" ("adventures" for you greater than 2's), NPCs, towns, encounters, etc. No need to incorporate ruleset (as it will no doubt distract devs from setting itself/its thematics, which will only defeat the purpose of the game itself), though a superficial flavouring (character sheet, actual spell list rip, etc) would be nice.

Yeah.

I would pay good money for an Elder-scrolls like open box in Barovia.
We should get the guys that made the Enderall mod to make one for Ravenloft.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

Nightmare lands. You can do so much with it. It be like McGee Alice as you go between the normal and dreaming world till you do not know which.
My RPG PC Game: higurashirpg.blogspot.com