Quoth the Raven #28 review thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven #28 review thread

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Okay, I did this thing, since I figured the esteemed members of the Fraternity are still recovering from their Herculean effort.
I invite you all to take a look and make such edits as you find needful. ^_^
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Rock wrote:Okay, I did this thing, since I figured the esteemed members of the Fraternity are still recovering from their Herculean effort.
I invite you all to take a look and make such edits as you find needful. ^_^
Well done! I have nothing to add. Really good synopses.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Nice job, I added some small bit to my entrances to add some appeal.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Great and quick job, Rock!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I wouldn't say quick; it took me most of the afternoon and evening! :P
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Rock wrote:I wouldn't say quick; it took me most of the afternoon and evening! :P
Its very much appreciated. Also appreciated is the herculean effort for this QtR, in particular by Michail Adamis, who produced a good 40% of this issue's content, without which it would not be same. I am shamed by my meagre contribution in QtR #25, which did not even include a statblock - major regret.

The strength of this Ravenloft community continues to awe me. Long live FoS!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tomokaicho wrote:Also appreciated is the herculean effort for this QtR, in particular by Michail Adamis, who produced a good 40% of this issue's content, without which it would not be same.
Thank you kindly, but if it wasn't the effort of all who have contributed all these years and this community to enrich my favourite D&D campaign setting none of it would have ever been conceived. I had been a lurker for more than a decade in this forum until QtR#27 (I believe I had made an account ages ago with a different name but my only contribution was in FoS Heraldry and Flags) and the Kargatane when it existed (having written only a funny review on 11-102 Greater Mummy official miniatures, trolling a friend of mine*). Since then I have been reading many articles from QtR, that became my main source of information on Ravenloft. If it wasn't for Jeremy Roby's Olerick's Colloquial Guides, Andrew Cermak's Knights of the Ashen Bough from the Book of Secrets, Gemathustra's contribution in John W. Mangrum's Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror project as well as John W. Mangrum's articles from The Book of Souls and The Forgotten Children Kargatane netbooks ("The Realms Beyond”, "Marcu Vasilis"), Scalies of the Sea of Sorrows by Joël Paquin, the Fraternity's Preview of the Sea of Sorrows Report series and other sources in FoS netbooks and official products among them official Dragonlance products, these articles would not have been possible.

PS*
The trolling review on the 11-102 Greater Mummy official Ravenloft miniatures was like this:

Really well crafted miniatures, although I personally don't use them as mummies but as cyborgs in a game of my own invention called "Cyborgs in Ancient Greece".

It was "signed" under the name of friend of mine (we had some good laughs at the time, it was inspired partly by 2e Tale of the Comet, which we hated as a concept, I was still in high school I believe) :mrgreen:
tomokaicho wrote:I am shamed by my meagre contribution in QtR #25, which did not even include a statblock - major regret.
This is not a contest and your article on death knights enriched a generic D&D monster and gave more possibilities for individual stat death knights. Before all death knights were only copies of Lord Soth with different background. :soth:
tomokaicho wrote:The strength of this Ravenloft community continues to awe me. Long live FoS!
Hip...hip...
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

In Vjorn Horstman I forgot to create Skills and Feats for him... oops...

In Conch Shell of Dagon there is a table missing (page 354), it was after Special (Child of Dagon) table. It is for more extreme (Cthullu-like) transformations. It was missed in
editing so I will add it here:

If a character rolls a special transformation roll on two consequent times the transformation takes a new turn as the transformative power of the Conch Shell of Dagon becomes
more extreme, slowly transforming the individual into a broken one, an amalgam of man, fish and octopus. If a second special consequent roll is rolled the character becomes a
broken one and it's descrription changes to aberration.

Roll 1d6 to see which part of the body changes first and then for the second change choose one more capability from the Broken One template.

1 One leg becomes a tentacle, the character gains a slam attack 1d4+3 but moves 5ft slower, OR +6

2 The character's body becomes soft, rubbery and pliable like a molusk's, characters can flatten their body allowing them to slip into spaces with at least a 1-inch gap, OR +6

3 One arm becomes a tentacle, character can attack for 1d4+3 damage but loses any feat that needs the use of that hand. If the tentacle hits it's target, it may immediatlely
attempt to grapple it without provoking an attack of opportunity as if having the Improved Grab (Ex) ability. If it wins the grapple it establishes a hold and may immediately
constrict the foe for damage equal to it's base tentacle attack, OR+6

4 Character's skin gains chromatophore cells that can change color based on the characters activity or surrounding gaining camouflage when standing still DC 24 spot check
to notice, +4 Hidding checks, OR+1

5 Torso grows a swarm of tentacles. They grasp and entwine around creatures within 5ft holding them fast and crushing them with great strength. Every creature attacked
must make a grapple check, opposed by the grapple check of the tentacles. Once the tentacles grapple an opponent, they may make a grapple check each round to deal
1d6+4 points of bludgeoning damage. OR+6

6 Head transforms insto a swarm of tentacles resembling an eyless illithid, the character gains blind sight. Once the tentacles grapple an opponent, they may make a grapple
check each round to deal 1d4+3 points of bludgeoning damage. OR +7
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I also wondered how Vjorn Horstmann could be an Alchemical Philosopher without any ranks in a spellcasting class...
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock wrote:I also wondered how Vjorn Horstmann could be an Alchemical Philosopher without any ranks in a spellcasting class...
He would have them as an expert 5 (Alchemist) as the prime requisites for an Alchemist Philosopher are

Feats: Brew Potion, Spell Focus (Transmutation) and Skills: Alchemy 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks.

Since he is a expert he can choose any ten skills to be class skills. In some homebrewing sites there is a restriction of one or two of these skills to be skills exclusive to some other class. Even if the latter is applied it still makes sense for him to have at least 8 ranks in Alchemy and 6 in Knowledge (arcana).
As for the Spell Focus Feat I see him as studying the arcane with a scientific eye but maybe I am wrong...

No wonder tomokaicho is frustrated with the Alchemical Philosopher... http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... =1&t=11003
But maybe the Alchemical Philosopher (Iam talking about the class not Vjorn) doesn't advance in spell ability as the class description in VR Arsenal writes:

No soul is as devoteded as the alchemical philosopher. For him, alchemy is not a footnote in a catalog of arcane lore; it is a path to Truth, if not Truth itself. The alchemical philosopher abandons his old life's path as if he had been groping about blindly in the darkness of ignorance. Alchemy becomes his sole focus, and its greatest mysteries his ultimate ambition.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

tomokaicho wrote:
Rock wrote:Cremation isn't considered to be desecration everywhere.
I will give you that. I was thinking more along the lines of cutting off Victor's head and stuffing his mouth with garlic.

Even so, cremation can be risky. Victor has enemies. Some of them are transmuters, capable of transmuting one thing into another. Is the transmutation of ashes back into a corpse really beyond the realm of possibility?
I think Victor would be inclined to be laid to rest permanently, rather than risk rising again---assuming he is aware he could come back.
In addition to worrying about his enemies, I would worry about some of the figures who claim to be his friends. Ciphramir would be happy to ensure that Victor rises again to begin a new chapter.
Mephisto wrote:
tomokaicho wrote:I am shamed by my meagre contribution in QtR #25, which did not even include a statblock - major regret.
This is not a contest and your article on death knights enriched a generic D&D monster and gave more possibilities for individual stat death knights. Before all death knights were only copies of Lord Soth with different background. :soth:
Agreed. I still want to use that article to create a death knight for a game when I have a chance.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Mephisto wrote: Feats: Brew Potion, Spell Focus (Transmutation) and Skills: Alchemy 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks.

As for the Spell Focus Feat I see him as studying the arcane with a scientific eye but maybe I am wrong...
Having spell focus without spells is strange but actually rules legal. That's not where the problem with your build lies. The problem is Brew Potion.
Brew Potion [Item Creation]
Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.
Your expert needs a caster level and can't get any without having levels in a spellcasting class.

There are quite a few people with editing issues in this edition of QtR. I suspect that allowances will be made for some changes and a revision published.
Wolfglide wrote:
tomokaicho wrote: Agreed. I still want to use that article to create a death knight for a game when I have a chance.
I will have to publish some minor errata before that happens.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tomokaicho wrote:Having spell focus without spells is strange but actually rules legal. That's not where the problem with your build lies. The problem is Brew Potion.
Brew Potion [Item Creation]
Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.
Your expert needs a caster level and can't get any without having levels in a spellcasting class.
Hmm... I am not well informed with some 3/3.5e rules although it is my favourite set of rules so far (I haven't played much 3e, mostly 2e). Then maybe we could change the Brew Potion Feat a bit or we could create a class similar to the Eremite in 2e Champions of the Mists, they brew potions instead of casting spells. Maybe they could take the Brew Potion Feat as a class power. The Pathfinder Alchemist class that Mistmaster suggested in the Alchemical Philosopher Topic isn't a bad idea for a starting class instead of Expert for Vjorn.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Mephisto wrote:
Hmm... I am not well informed with some 3/3.5e rules although it is my favourite set of rules so far (I haven't played much 3e, mostly 2e). Then maybe we could change the Brew Potion Feat a bit or we could create a class similar to the Eremite in 2e Champions of the Mists, they brew potions instead of casting spells. Maybe they could take the Brew Potion Feat as a class power. The Pathfinder Alchemist class that Mistmaster suggested in the Alchemical Philosopher Topic isn't a bad idea for a starting class instead of Expert for Vjorn.
Artificer is the class that you are looking for. Mixing up 3.5 and Pathfinder without converting back to 3.5 is just asking for trouble. The Artificer is a 3.5 class that has brew potion at 2nd level and thus qualifies for Alchemical Philosopher. The Artificer is in many ways similar to an expert. Just replace your expert levels with Artificer levels.

EDIT: Its good that this came up because I was able to add Artificer progression to my reworked Alchemical Philosopher. I am quite happy with what I have so far. It will definitely be ready for QtR #29.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Incidentally, I have also added a full pathfinder version of the Arteficer in my Lamordia article.