ultimate Helm

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

ultimate Helm

Post by Daisu »

I seem to misplace my box sets, it is either black box or red box or even both that speculate that Ultimate Helm (spelljammer device) could allow escape from ravenloft but was lost in the mists. I am hoping someone could quote the passage and page number. It probably in a section on ways that might escape the mists or stuff that does not work.
My RPG PC Game: higurashirpg.blogspot.com
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: ultimate Helm

Post by Gautsu »

I just skimmed both the Escaping the Mists and Magic Items sections of my Black and Red Box sets, and nothing on Spelljammer or the Ultimate Helm was in there. I couldn't find my second edition hardcover though, that might have had it
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

I looked through Domains of Dread and did not find it. As well as forged in darkness. It has to be a old product to mention spelljammer in ravenloft. I will keep looking.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Are you sure it was in a Ravenloft product? I don't remember anything about the Ultimate Helm.

If there is some reference to it, maybe it is just mentioned in an adventure (maybe it is listed in Markov's House in Markovia as some book mentioning it or something similar) But I don't remember having it described somewhere...

I had a similar thing with Spawn of the Lizard. I was sure it was mentioned as a group prior to Domains of Dread and read all the products I had. In the end it was just a fake memory I had, so maybe it applies to the Helm too.

I know I didn't help much.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

I looked at spelljammer box set and encyclopedia magica were lists ultimate helm but not the sentence I want. I am sure it was a simple one liner that talked about spelljammer and ravenloft, it might not say ultimate helm per say but a legendary helm.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

could it possibly be in SJA3 Crystal Spheres? I believe that's the Spelljammer product that ends with its antagonist possibly becoming a Darklord.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

Though that product acknowledges Ravenloft it is not the product that had the line I am looking for.

line that product has that T'lann evil is so great that the mist of Ravenloft would steal him before his demise.

Complete spacefarer guide

Ravenloft is a demiplane. As such, it is fundamentally different from any spelljamming world. Ravenloft lies within no crystal sphere. It cannot be reached by traveling through the phlogiston. A spell-jamming ship sailing into Ravenloft's night soon enters the mists at the border of the demiplane and is quickly turned back. Although spelljamming provides no escape from Ravenloft, outside spelljammers are not safe from the Demiplane of Dread. The Mists of Ravenloft can appear even in wildspace, where they take the form of a jet-black cloud that arises before the victim vessel. Ships that sail into Ravenloft through the Mists are as trapped as any other entrant to the demiplane. Only in the phlogiston, which blocks all planar travel, can one remain safe from the reaching tentacles of the Demiplane of Dread.

I checked forbidden lore, athaekeetha entry, double checked black and red box so far.
Last edited by Daisu on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I'd forgotten about the phlogiston blocking even the Mists...!

Add to that the difficulty divine spellcasters can have, connecting to their patrons when in different crystal spheres, and the implications are rather interesting.
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

I came up where the info might came from, those old tsr dnd cards. I will be trying to look into them next, but have a good feeling about it that be something out of the way like that.

Edit: So far does not seem its the collector cards either.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

An Ultimate Helm is a minor artifact, so it might be able to open a gate to planes outside of Dread Realms, but you'd need to find an Ultimate Helm with the ability to cast gate. I'm not sure how you'd manage that.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:could it possibly be in SJA3 Crystal Spheres? I believe that's the Spelljammer product that ends with its antagonist possibly becoming a Darklord.
No mention of a magical Helm in this adventure.

FYI, three mentions of RL in this adventure (MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOWS):

- The vampire has many escape routes available to him. (...) If cornered and near destruction, T’Laan’s hatred could (at the DM’s discretion) cause him to pass into the demiplane of Ravenloft (refer to the RAVENLOFT boxed set). (p. 4)

- The geography of Morgan’s World (the planet was named after Morgan Darkdawn of Greyspace, the first inhabitant of the planet, and one of the rare individuals reported to have escaped from Ravenloft) is as twisted as it is dark. (p 11)

- The DM should note that, although the PCs defeated T’Laan, his great evil nature and strong hatred pulled him into Ravenloft just prior to total destruction. Although beings very rarely ever escape Ravenloft, it could prove to be an interesting encounter if the DM steers the campaign in that direction. Truly great powers are
rarely destroyed, but they are always able to try to destroy the heroes at some later time. Just more fun down the road. . . (p 58)

(We should add this crossover to the FAQ, under Other Mysteries of the Mists FAQ #12)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

Thanks everyone for your help. Revisiting my studies on domains based on crystal spheres and Castle of the Undead for mistpedia, brought forth some new mysteries almost a decade since i did the article. Forgot about morgan.

I am going to search the dragon magazines for the blurb of a spelljammer helm, I cant accept that the premise for me to go out of my way to buy crystal spheres long ago came out of nowhere lol
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Daisu wrote:I cant accept that the premise for me to go out of my way to buy crystal spheres long ago came out of nowhere lol
But you can still use them as Dreamspheres for the Nightmare Lands
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

Could it have been one of the later Paizo yearly Dragon issues where they had articles about all of the second edition settings? Maybe the one with Strand on the cover?
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

Dragon 315 did not have it, it delt with orginal house of stradh adventure and spelljammer did not make the issue. But thanks for the tip.