ultimate Helm

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: ultimate Helm

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

If and when you do find this elusive reference. PLEASE put it into Mistipedia! ;) This is exactly the sort of thing the wiki should make it easy to find.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

I just went through my Dragon Collection of 289 through 359. Nothing in there, sorry.

I saw a mention on the web that there might be something mentioned in the second edition The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook, but I didn't keep my copy of that like I did with my Ravenloft stuff
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

I quoted the seafarers on the 1st page. The quote i am looking for is a helm that might help leave ravenloft but is lost and likey a section on possible escapes for ravenloft or creating domain chapter. I am sure it was a 2nd edition product. Thanks for checking the magazines.
My RPG PC Game: higurashirpg.blogspot.com
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Daisu wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:17 am I quoted the seafarers on the 1st page. The quote i am looking for is a helm that might help leave Ravenloft but is lost and likely a section on possible escapes for Ravenloft or creating domain chapter. I am sure it was a 2nd edition product. Thanks for checking the magazines.
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Theka
QtR22 p.148

"Legends speak of an ultimate helm might reside there, which can allow a spelljamming ship to free itself from the domains of dread.."

"Darklord Current Sketch
A vampire so powerful that he once threatened the cosmos. Now he cannot get the most simplistic magic devices to work properly. Stuck in a prison that threatens to eat itself out of existence, T'lann must protect its ecology and his blood supply. Because spells and technology seem to break down all the time, he is unable to fix the spelljamming vessel that he believes can take him away from this land.
"

So maybe the existence of the helm is just wishful thinking...
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Big Mac
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Big Mac »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:47 am
Daisu wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:17 amI quoted the seafarers on the 1st page. The quote i am looking for is a helm that might help leave Ravenloft but is lost and likely a section on possible escapes for Ravenloft or creating domain chapter. I am sure it was a 2nd edition product. Thanks for checking the magazines.
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Theka
QtR22 p.148

"Legends speak of an ultimate helm might reside there, which can allow a spelljamming ship to free itself from the domains of dread.."

"Darklord Current Sketch
A vampire so powerful that he once threatened the cosmos. Now he cannot get the most simplistic magic devices to work properly. Stuck in a prison that threatens to eat itself out of existence, T'lann must protect its ecology and his blood supply. Because spells and technology seem to break down all the time, he is unable to fix the spelljamming vessel that he believes can take him away from this land.
"

So maybe the existence of the helm is just wishful thinking...
So it's a netbook thing connected to SJA3 Crystal Spheres. That's cool.

In case you don't know, Daisu, an ultimate helm is no ordinary type of spelljamming helm.

Instead it is a special magical item, created by the legendary ship, The Spelljammer, that allows a person who discovers the city size ship to attempt to take command of the ship.

I've not seen anything in Spelljammer canon, that would suggest that The Spelljammer can move from the Material Plane to other planes, like Ravenloft, but there is something in the 2e Spelljammer canon about githyanki stealing the living ships of the elves and being able to shift them to the Astral Plane.

Later products established the idea of partially living illithid nautilods and Laurien Studios recently ceased on that with a Baldur's Gate 3 opening cinematic, featuring a living nautiloiid that plane hops.

So could maybe The Spelljammer be summoned to Ravenloft, via an ultimate helm, with the user of the helm needing to succeed at assuming command of The Spelljammer, before ordering the ship to take them away from Ravenloft? Who knows. It's not in the canon, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that The Spelljammer can enter and leave Ravenloft, at will.

The sixth novel in the Cloakmaster Cycle novels (the Spelljammer novels) is called The Ultimate Helm and is about the device and the ship. Here are a few major spoilers that might ruin the novels for you:
VIEW CONTENT:
The Ultimate Helm tells us that manta-ray shaped space creatures, called spaarkil were attacked in their home crystal sphere and, in a panic they opened a massive hole in the crystal sphere wall, while trying to escape. That hole caused the Phlogiston to leak into the sphere (presumably replacing the vacuum of wildspace and started to spread fire from the sun to the worlds.

Realising they had accidentally caused the genocide of every groundling creature in their home sphere, the spaarkil used powerful magic to merge all of their bodies into a single sparkel-shaped ship, with a city on it's back and the ship flew around the "Broken Sphere" and picked up enough of every type of creature, to allow the ship to repopulate those people in other crystal spheres.

(It's kind of a Noah's Ark story, but with creatures turning themselves into an ark. And, it's not the same sort of thing that gets people turned into Darklords, but it's broadly in the same area.)

Towards the end of the Cloakmaster Cycle, Teldin Moore (the "Cloakmaster" of the novels) learns, from his connection to The Spelljammer, that it wants to somehow restore The Broken Sphere back to life. (Meanwhile everyone else is trying to take command of the ship, in the hopes they can use it as a super-weapon.)

So, do I think that The Spelljammer has the power to come into Ravenloft and rescue people? Yes I do. That's not quite what it was built for, but it almost is.

However, The Spelljammer can reject evil or destructive captains and has been known to do so.

So, if a PC tried to use an ultimate helm to rescue the the normal people living in a Domain of Dread and take them out of Ravenloft to a world that was their homeworld or (if they had false memories) a world similar to their imaginary homeworld, I think that could work.

But, if a Darklord tired to use an ultimate helm, to escape Ravenloft, with the plan of going on a revenge spree, once they got home, The Spelljammer would know that they intended to do things that were no good.
Also, while I believe The Spelljammer could escape Ravenloft, and could also take a large number of people with it, it's possible that the Mists of Ravenloft could strike at the ship, whenever it was not in the Phlogiston.

If the Dark Powers wanted someone back, they could either try to pull the entire ship back. Or they could use more targeted attacks, to pluck the would-be captain off of the ship.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
The Mists of Ravenloft can appear even in wildspace, where they take the form of a jet-black cloud that arises before the victim vessel.
You can see more of me at the Ravenloft forum at The Piazza.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

My memories of the Cloakmaster series are a bit spotty, but weren't there numerous ultimate helms and only one true Ultimate Helm? I seem to recall a space-dragon character had an ultimate helm and was hoping that she could claim the Spelljammer, but the book suggested it wouldn't have worked.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Big Mac wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:19 pm So could maybe The Spelljammer be summoned to Ravenloft, via an ultimate helm, with the user of the helm needing to succeed at assuming command of The Spelljammer, before ordering the ship to take them away from Ravenloft? Who knows. It's not in the canon, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that The Spelljammer can enter and leave Ravenloft, at will...Also, while I believe The Spelljammer could escape Ravenloft, and could also take a large number of people with it, it's possible that the Mists of Ravenloft could strike at the ship, whenever it was not in the Phlogiston.
I believe you should check Dread Space a Spelljammer crossover to Ravenloft.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/415252 ... id=1616954
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:36 pm My memories of the Cloakmaster series are a bit spotty, but weren't there numerous ultimate helms and only one true Ultimate Helm? I seem to recall a space-dragon character had an ultimate helm and was hoping that she could claim the Spelljammer, but the book suggested it wouldn't have worked.
No, actually the space dragon, Celestial Nightpearl, wanted the exact opposite. She wanted the main character of the book series, Teldin Moore, to become the captain, so as to avoid being forced into the position herself. An ultimate helm produces a sort of compulsion to find and bond with the Spelljammer sort of like how the Calling recruits prospective members of the Order of the Guardians in Ravenloft.

Ultimate helms come in the forms of items such as cloaks and amulets that cannot be removed save via death, which makes things unfortunate for potential captain candidates that have other plans for their lives. The space dragon in question was one such person, whom didn't like her draconic splendor to be outplayed by that of the Spelljammer.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:43 am
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:36 pm My memories of the Cloakmaster series are a bit spotty, but weren't there numerous ultimate helms and only one true Ultimate Helm? I seem to recall a space-dragon character had an ultimate helm and was hoping that she could claim the Spelljammer, but the book suggested it wouldn't have worked.
No, actually the space dragon, Celestial Nightpearl, wanted the exact opposite. She wanted the main character of the book series, Teldin Moore, to become the captain, so as to avoid being forced into the position herself. An ultimate helm produces a sort of compulsion to find and bond with the Spelljammer sort of like how the Calling recruits prospective members of the Order of the Guardians in Ravenloft.

Ultimate helms come in the forms of items such as cloaks and amulets that cannot be removed save via death, which makes things unfortunate for potential captain candidates that have other plans for their lives. The space dragon in question was one such person, whom didn't like her draconic splendor to be outplayed by that of the Spelljammer.
Ahh. Like I said, memories a bit spotty. It's been years since I've read those books.