Vampyre vampire?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Vampyre vampire?

Post by Mistmaster »

Rock wrote:Rather, I'd imagine an overfed vampire to get hyper and careless; so buzzed from being full of blood that it gets cocky and keeps feeding wildly, without a care for the consequences.
In my head-canon, the more blood a vampire sucks the more alive they feel; Sensations, emotions and feelings come back to them along with their humanity. What was before a memory, more or less distant, is now real, strong and vibrant. And in that state of mind they are prone to indulge in their passions including lovemaking.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I got a flashback to a scene from G1 of the Transformers.
The Decepticons had managed to put their hands on a McGuffin that gave their leader Megatron such a huge powerboost that his least weapon could lay waste to scores of enemies.
They decided to celebrate by not rationing their fuel reserves for a change, and just drink their fill. At first they were just happy, reminiscing of past times and boasting about victories to come. Gradually, they grew less and less coherent, and finally they got sluggish and insensate.
As one of their enemies observed from a distance, they'd overindulged and thus surpassed their capacity to actually process the energy provided by the fuel, leading to the robotic equivalent of a drunken stupor.

Depending on the vampire, something similar might apply in the case of steady overindulgence. At first, hyperness, happiness, a feeling of warmth and vitality with their senses coming 'alive'. But if they keep guzzling blood, eventually they might contain too much positive energy for them to channel, and need rest to restore the balance of positive and negative inside of them.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

This is a very nice concept "blood drunkedness" but as it is written in VRGtVampires every individual vampire is unique (or may be unique). What you wrote could be a Salient ability of a vampire as is Extra Feeding or Bloodlust.

A vampire could have this salient ability and have the danger of becoming intoxicated, maybe a variation of these homebrewing rules, giving the Vampire a decrease of 2 points of temporary Intelligence and Wisdom damage, -1 to attack rolls, -1 to Dexterity skill checks, and grants 5 temporary hp.

https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Intoxicated_(3.5e_Condition)
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Mephisto wrote:This is a very nice concept "blood drunkedness" but as it is written in VRGtVampires every individual vampire is unique (or may be unique). What you wrote could be a Salient ability of a vampire as is Extra Feeding or Bloodlust.

A vampire could have this salient ability and have the danger of becoming intoxicated, maybe a variation of these homebrewing rules, giving the Vampire a decrease of 2 points of temporary Intelligence and Wisdom damage, -1 to attack rolls, -1 to Dexterity skill checks, and grants 5 temporary hp.

https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Intoxicated_(3.5e_Condition)
In my head-canon every vampire needs to be well fed in order to sire a Dhampyr.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mistmaster wrote:In my head-canon every vampire needs to be well fed in order to sire a Dhampyr.
In mine vampires are sterile, with a few exceptions...
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

I am writing up an article for QtR #29 which will include 'dhampir' that are more like World of Darkness ghouls. It will explain the existence of the humanoid Kargatane that drink the blood of vampires.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

OK, now do a Goblyn goblin! ;)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:OK, now do a Goblyn goblin! ;)
The common practice at TSR of changing a single letter and making it a different creature is very unfortunate.

I am going to make a new thread about Goblyns.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Rock wrote:I actually liked the explanation that the first Blade movie gave for his dhampir status; that he was not the son of a human and a vampire, but that he had been contaminated with whatever transformative agent is in a vampire's saliva in utero, because a vampire attacked his mother.
The vampire attack method of creation is specifically listed for the half-vampire of Libris Mortis, though they are much weaker than dhampirs. I think I have only seen Blade II, so I don't know which creature would be more thematically appropriate.
Rock wrote:Depending on the vampire, something similar might apply in the case of steady overindulgence. At first, hyperness, happiness, a feeling of warmth and vitality with their senses coming 'alive'. But if they keep guzzling blood, eventually they might contain too much positive energy for them to channel, and need rest to restore the balance of positive and negative inside of them.
Near the end of Shadow of the Vampire, the titular character gets very drowsy after overfeeding. The movie is a fictionalization of the making of Nosferatu, where Count Orlok lingers slothfully after feeding and is caught out of his coffin after the sun rises.
tomokaicho wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:OK, now do a Goblyn goblin! ;)
The common practice at TSR of changing a single letter and making it a different creature is very unfortunate.

I am going to make a new thread about Goblyns.
On paper, changing a letter can make words look extra cool, but the undifferentiated pronunciation makes for a real pain in practice.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wolfglide wrote:On paper, changing a letter can make words look extra cool, but the undifferentiated pronunciation makes for a real pain in practice.
Maybe you can pronounce the letter "y" as in Finnish language. It resembles more a sound similar to "ew"

https://www.facebook.com/herfinland/vid ... 367827385/

So they become Vamp-ew-r and Gobl-ew-n
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

This discussion and my argument about Dhampirs inspired me to create an article with extra Salient Abilities for Vampires
Some where inspired by people in this discussion (Mistmaster's "rule" for creating Dhampirs, overfeeding intoxication by Rock and Wolfglide)

So far I have amassed these extra Salient abilities:

Blood Intoxication (as discussed before)

Swarm Form (rat swarm/ bat swarm etc. like in the film Bram Stoker's Dracula)

Mimic Mortal (which gives some vampires the ability to procreate in a "natural" way creating Dhampirs)

Sun Tolerance (effectively becoming something between a Vampire and a Nosferatu Vampire)

Hybrid Form (taking the form similar to a werebat or other lycanthrope like in the film Bram Stoker's Dracula)

Caustic Blood (vampires blood burns like acid as the alien in The Alien movies)

Brain Feeder (that can make hunters think they are hunting an Illithid. Not to be mistaken with a celebral vampire)

Contagious Saliva (Vampirism as a virus like in the series The Strain threatening to become a pandemic)

Running Water Tolerance

Some Salient Powers from VRGtVampire that were not detailed in the 3e Ravenloft Setting

Maybe I will expand it also for other Van Richten Guide Salient Abilities like those of the Ancient Dead

Unless if it has already been done in previous QtR issues that I don't remember...
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I seem to recall there already are rules for swarm forming, but I'm not sure where it's written down. Savage species? Libris mortis...? It's somewhere.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock wrote:I seem to recall there already are rules for swarm forming, but I'm not sure where it's written down. Savage species? Libris mortis...? It's somewhere.
Searched them both under feats... didn't find it. I only found A Worm That Walks but is different than what I want to make
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

It wasn't a feat, I think. More like a kind of racial archetype or a prestige class-esque thing... I'll have to look later; bit tired right now.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thanks I will check again though. Have a good rest.