New Ravenloft comic

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New Ravenloft comic

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

tomokaicho wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:56 am I guess the people upset about the gender swap can stop it now because, based on the character presented in this comic, it is a gender identity swap not an actual gender swap and this "Viktra" is Victor.
Yes this was obvious from the beginning, to have the 2nd/3rd edition Victor make an actual sex change would be OK per se but bad writing cause he is a passionless cell of his former (Prime Material) self, since his spirit embodies Adam (this is why Adam and not Viktor was darklord). Here we have the actual scientist be the darklord, I prefer the older version not only because I prefer Viktor's background but also because Adam was probably named after the following quote from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

"“Remember that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed. Everywhere I see bliss, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded. I was benevolent and good – misery made me a fiend."

On the other hand the gender swap could be an echo of Mary Shelley's feminist views, as she saw female roles being completely negated in her society, she was a feminist before the word and movement even existed. But I have to say that the tragedy of Frankenstein also comes from the obsession of a man to create life, also this book was inspired by a nightmare Mary Shelley had and one and a half years after the prematurely birth and loss two weeks later of her first child, Clara.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Thing still not out.

Browsing through this month's PREVIEWS, alas no picture of cover for issue #2, not released yet.

But we have a teaser text for issue 2.
VIEW CONTENT:
Miranda's curiosity intensifies the longuer she stays at Shloss Mordenheim, growing more troubled as Miss Dr Viktra Mordenheim changes her sex back to being a manly Dr Mordenheim, to fix things, the Dr said. Miranda falls in love with the Dr, they marry and have many little Adams.
Ah ah, kidding, here's the real teaser:
VIEW CONTENT:
Miranda's curiosity intensifies the longuer she stays at Shloss Mordenheim, growing more troubled at who she used to be. As Dr Viktra Mordenheim continues her experiments on Miranda, she herself begins to question her own stability, knowing her nemesis, Elise, could be inching ever closer
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:09 pm But we have a teaser text for issue 2.
VIEW CONTENT:
Miranda's curiosity intensifies the longuer she stays at Shloss Mordenheim, growing more troubled as Miss Dr Viktra Mordenheim changes her sex back to being a manly Dr Mordenheim, to fix things, the Dr said. Miranda falls in love with the Dr, they marry and have many little Adams.

Your parody teaser is better than the real one. Adam would freak out if Victor found happiness. Adam would probably murder Miranda.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Totally. I have to admit that would be interesting to explore. Mordenheim finding a chance of happiness again and Adam going bat-poop crazy about it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

But is Victor the one to blame not poor Adam.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

alhoon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:45 am Totally. I have to admit that would be interesting to explore. Mordenheim finding a chance of happiness again and Adam going bat-poop crazy about it.
An interesting theme for a comic to explore would be Adam in the Apparatus, his body being switched for another human male body. Adam will get what he wanted - to be a real human being, not a monster. I suspect it will not change Adam's mentality, however.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Actually, I don't like that one. At least not without something monstrous about Adam to keep him from being human. Strahd getting Tatiana without strings attached and then saying "that doesn't cure his midlife crisis" is anticlimactic for me.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

The idea of Victor Mordenheim finding love again is... mind-boggling.
As Mephisto said, Victor is a passionless shell of a man. He's been obsessed with restoring Elise, not only out of affection but because he cannot tolerate the fact that science has failed his expectations - or pperhaps, that he has failed science.
For a woman, any woman, to break Victor out of his spiral of self-loathing and stubborn refusal to give up, she would need to be and do something truly exceptional.

How would a woman draw Victor out of his self-imposed hell? What kind of person would she need to be? Kind or brutal? Benign or selfish? She would need to have a good head on her shoulders, but would she need to be an intellectual or more in tune with her emotions and her humanity? Would she be human at all? Rogue or therapist? Scholar or gold-digger? Dread doppelganger or Paka?

What kind of woman could bring Mordenheim to finally say "I am sorry, Elise, but I need... I want to move on" and disconnect her from that vile life support system?

And how would Mordenheim's and Adam's curse change? Would the new Mrs. Mordenheim be a victim for Adam, or a scourge? Would she be content to live at Schloss Mordenheim, or demand Victor take their act on the road?
Mordenheim is an aristocrat as well as a scientist. If guided by a firm hand and an ambitious mind, he could facilitate a bid for genuine political power in Lamordia.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:48 pm How would a woman draw Victor out of his self-imposed hell? What kind of person would she need to be? Kind or brutal?
Spoiler: it's Tatyana, Strahd's Tatyana. Mordenheim almost falls for Tatyana, but at the end remembers his scientific mission and harvests her organs as a replacement for his wife's dying organs to keep her alive. Strahd seethes and vows revenge.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Tatyana would never have appealed to Victor's ruthless pragmatism.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I agree with Rock here.
My DMGuild work!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Let's say the new Mrs. Mordenheim is evil and ambitious.
She could be aristocratic, clever and manipulative, seeing Victor primarily as a member of the old aristocracy, and his bloodline as a way to gain control over Lamordia.
Regardless whether she has any true affection for him as a man, she would need to build him up as a human being for him to be useful. That means she would have to convince him to give up on Elise and move on with his life.
It would take strong arguments and ruthless logic. She might argue that clearly, Victor is not at a level of development where he can restore Elise, or at least science is not. Victor needs to do right, not by Elise (who is little more than a mass of tortured flesh) but to his true love: Science. He needs to pass on his erudition to humanity so it can be built upon. And he needs to spread his genes while he is still able, not to mention provide an environment where those genes can flourish. That means restoring Schloss Mordenheim and start money rolling in; growing kids need lots of things, social exposure being one of them.

A woman capable of doing all of that, of sweeping Victor up in her plans and rhythm, would probably terrify and enrage Adam - and would probably boost the defenses of Schloss Mordenheim so he couldn't approach as easily anymore.
Joël of the FoS

Checked with my local comic store. Release date of #1 in North America: June 29
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Blurb for ordering #3 (from PREVIEWS ordering catalog):
VIEW CONTENT:
When Miranda's situation in Shloss Mordenheim becomes unbearable, she makes a daring escape, only to discover that Viktra's warnings about the outside world were true! Can Miranda choose between the doctor she knows and the doctor she doesn't?
Joël of the FoS

I have read the first issue. Interresting start. Viktra is portrayed as very cold and analytic. I think she has good lines, very in caracter as described in VRG.
VIEW CONTENT:
Creepy backstory with a hag in the end
Not bad ;)