QTR 29 - comments and reviews

Discussing all things Ravenloft
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: QTR 29 - comments and reviews

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:46 pm Adapted/inspired from Batman: The Animated Series episode "Feat of Clay"
I definitely got that vibe from the start. However, it wasn't until you explicitly acknowledged the inspiration that I realized it's right there in the name. Clayface. Faceclay. Duh.

Never said I was the sharpest bat in the belfry... :D
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:46 pmWell Drakov is no fool, he is an experienced commander of troops, it is his curse and Ravenloft's nature that makes him fail repeatedly, along with his taboos on what warfare and fighting is. The distaste of magic and the belief that gunpowder is a coward's weapon are the things that make him look like a fool but in reality he is a victim of his own prejudice. In the end he is just human with faults (many faults that is :azalin: ).
Oh, I was just snarking about Drakov, as anyone sufficiently far from Falkovnia is tempted to do. In my head, Drakov chafes every time he authorizes the development of a weapon for the weakling way of war. He still does it, though, because, as you say, he is no fool.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Secrets of Privilege

The introductory fiction does an excellent job of setting the tone for the Cornerstone Foundation. The Foundation is Yet Another Shadowy Sinister Secret Society, but it occupies its own niche, one less mercantile than the Boritsi Trading Company and less arcane (in multiple senses of that word) than the Fraternity of Shadows. Lord Cantor III and Cantor IV stood out to me as potentially interesting NPCs.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

IanFordam wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:16 pm Secrets of Privilege

The introductory fiction does an excellent job of setting the tone for the Cornerstone Foundation.
Thank you. :D
IanFordam wrote:The Foundation is Yet Another Shadowy Sinister Secret Society, but it occupies its own niche, one less mercantile than the Boritsi Trading Company and less arcane (in multiple senses of that word) than the Fraternity of Shadows.
When it comes to Ravenloft, you just can't have enough qabals queueing up in the shadows. But I am glad the Foundation's individual take on things is noticeable. :wink:
IanFordam wrote:Lord Cantor III and Cantor IV stood out to me as potentially interesting NPCs.
I unfortunately ran out of time to stat them out properly this year, but who knows what the future may bring? I'm glad you liked them.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jawahar Zhost's backgammon set

Not a bad article, and the titular item could be a nice addition to a game.
The power to draw rakshasas into the Demiplane feels a bit much to me, but otherwise it seems fine.
My one point of criticism would be that you didn't sprinkle clearer hints of the backgammon set's powers through the narrative text. Fun as it is to watch two members of the FoS bicker and cheat over a game of backgammon when they're supposed to be philosophers aiming for ascension and world domination, you could have done more to build the tension before revealing the backgammon set's full power.
That said, realizing just what the two Brothers were unknowingly playing with was amusing. Even powerful wizards can be taken in by appearances. :azalin:
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

100 Road encounters

A nice article to provide some colour to those long foot marches through the Demiplane of Dread! :diamabel:
I was especially fond of items 7, 11, 21, 39, 62 (subtle!), 64, 69, 91, 93.

And now for some comedic colour commentary:
Item 44: Clearly they decided it was they who needed to change. :wink:
Item 46: 'Please hold while we reboot reality. We apologize for the inconvenience.'
Item 49: Don't you hate it when you have to work two shifts back-to-back? (In all seriousness, I might steal these critters.)
Item 50: Welcome to Whitestone...
Item 53: Damn these cheap-ass engineers, skimping on building materials!
Item 56: This brought me warm and loving memories of Hero's Quest I: So you want to be a hero.
Item 59: Corporate culture is really getting out of hand.
Item 60: "That's it, barbarian! Next town we get to, you take a bath!" -- "... Yeah, alright."
Item 68: Don Quixote, anyone?
Item 73: What else is new? :?
Item 78: The Whistling Fiend was making up its mind whether it wanted to chow down on the party or not? :P
Item 90: Poppy Playtime in Ravenloft?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Isla sin esperanza

Not my favourite among this year's crop. The concept is decent, but the article is a bit too short. It needed more; more colour, more life, more story.
Please don't be discouraged; like I said, the concept is decent and you have a foundation to build on. Maybe you could try submitting an updated version to next year's Quoth the Raven?
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Jawahar Zhost's Backgammon Set
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:29 am My one point of criticism would be that you didn't sprinkle clearer hints of the backgammon set's powers through the narrative text.
Yes, this. The narrative was entertaining (as was the pettiness of its wizards), and the enchanted backgammon set has adventure hook potential. I just didn't see any explicit tie between the events of the former and the magic of the latter.
Last edited by IanFordam on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

100 Road Encounters
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:45 am I was especially fond of items 7, 11, 21, 39, 62 (subtle!), 64, 69, 91, 93.
And I would like to call attention to item 2. That's the one that has stuck with me.

The problem I would have with using this article is that any one of these encounters could derail my players for an entire session. (Upon one noteworthy occasion, a variation of item 96 already has.) However, that's really an issue with that particular gaming group and not with the article. :)
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Isla sin esperanza
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:48 am Not my favourite among this year's crop. The concept is decent, but the article is a bit too short. It needed more; more colour, more life, more story.
Please don't be discouraged; like I said, the concept is decent and you have a foundation to build on. Maybe you could try submitting an updated version to next year's Quoth the Raven?
I also encourage expansion of this idea. While a certain dreamlike quality is to be expected—it is based upon a 70's progressive rock song, after all—I think the adventure would benefit from some more concrete details. For example, what rumors might the party hear about Tierra Dorada to prepare them (or mislead them) for the conclusion?
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Larva

The heart of this story is uncovering the mystery behind "Luke" and his curse. (At least it feels to me like a curse.) Oh, and why Old Lady Terwilliger insists on employing him, and (most crucially) why Luke is such a deft hand with a Bananas Foster. Unsurprisingly, the explanation will have to wait for the conclusion, and so a more complete review will too.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

IanFordam wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:36 am Jawahar Zhost's Backgammon Set
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:29 am My one point of criticism would be that you didn't sprinkle clearer hints of the backgammon set's powers through the narrative text.
Yes, this. The narrative was entertaining (as was the pettiness of its wizards), and the enchanted backgammon set has adventure hook potential. I just didn't see any explicit tie between the events of the former and the magic of the latter.
This is the fiction I had written for the April Fools "dice" new member selection (me, Rock and Wolfglide), I thought of making the backgammon set a magical item after writing it. So yes its true and this the reason why there are no clue sprinkles in the fiction.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:35 pm This is the fiction I had written for the April Fools "dice" new member selection (me, Rock and Wolfglide), I thought of making the backgammon set a magical item after writing it. So yes its true and this the reason why there are no clue sprinkles in the fiction.
Ah! Makes sense. :)
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Say Mephisto, besides Pervatin, where you also inspired by the Vril from The Coming Race when it came to the alchemical substances of Falkovnia. Cause if not, oh boy I think we can come up with some great stuff!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Well to answer your question no I haven't gone through these concepts since I am not really aware of the mythology behind them, although I did quote in my article The Morning of the Magicians by Jacques Bergier and Louis Pauwels, in which they suggested that a secret Vril Society existed in Weimar Berlin. I believe that this supposedly "superior subterranean master race" can be tied to the Dark Men the group of broken ones living in Lekar, making their homes in the Lekar Sewer System (it suits the tradition of Ravenloft's pervasive adaptation of historic or fictional characters, places etc).

The "all-permeating fluid" called "Vril", a source of energy that the spiritually elevated Vril-Ya from The Coming Race novel are able to master through training of their will was in some ways covered by the Psychic Lost One form QtR#28, where Vjorn Horstman tries to find alchemical ways to unlock the powers of the mind (or perhaps make ordinary people able to control this "all-permeating fluid").

As for drugs and warfare it is not just in WWII that they have used drugs, although Pervitin (meth) was used extensively by the Nazis other armies used drugs too, methamphetamine was also used by the Japanese while British and American forces used amphetamines (which became part of the US med kit). Tobacco was extensively used in WWI. Alcohol also called "liquid courage" was used before that as in the Russo-Japanese war where the czar built up his army with vodka revenue. Drinking and war-making have gone hand in hand since antiquity, and in the Middle Ages battlefields were drenched in beer and wine.

The Scythians burned stacks of cannabis and inhaled the smoke and others had used this drug before them in rituals, although it is not proved if the Scythians used it before battle, it is a theory. While the formidable Order of Assassins (Persian: حَشّاشین, romanized: Ḥaššāšīn) name has its roots in hashshāshīn ("hashish smokers or users"), it was used figuratively, the term hashishi connoted meanings such as outcasts or rabble, was first used by Fatimid caliph al-Amir bi-Ahkami’l-Lah, without actually accusing the group of using the hashish drug, the caliph used the term in a pejorative manner.

From 1898 through to 1910, diamorphine was marketed under the trademark name Heroin based on the German heroisch which means "heroic, strong" (from the ancient Greek word "heros, ήρως" meaning hero) as a non-addictive morphine substitute and cough suppressant (hm...that worked well :? ).

Drugs and war have been intertwined since forever so it couldn't be missed from war-mongering Falkovnia. https://knowablemagazine.org/article/so ... er-forever
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:45 am Item 50: Welcome to Whitestone...
What is Whitestone? Didn't get the reference.
Thanks for the review and commentary! ^_^ I am especially fond of 1, 31, 51, 70 and 75.
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.