No One D&D Homebrew?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

No One D&D Homebrew?

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

This is just a rumour so far, but if it turns out to be true, doesn't it effectively mean we would be forbidden from using One D&D material for Quoth the Raven?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: No One D&D Homebrew?

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

"Players could still make content using the 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons Systems Reference Document, which is compatible with One D&D, but would risk legal action if they used anything specific to the updated system".

So I guess anyone using older systems is OK
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I figured as much, but I worry we would need to amend our statement for Quoth the Raven so nobody submits One D&D-based material...

I am also concerned that the people who make a significant chunk of their living out of publishing on DM's Guild might take a hit over this.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

It is one ofthe reason 4th ed flopped, they wouldnt want a repeat.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:29 pm I am also concerned that the people who make a significant chunk of their living out of publishing on DM's Guild might take a hit over this.
I am given to understand that publishing on DM's Guild gives one the ability to use non-OGL Product Identity (like mind flayers), so I imagine this could extend to One D&D as well.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:29 pm I figured as much, but I worry we would need to amend our statement for Quoth the Raven so nobody submits One D&D-based material...
Eh, maybe.... we'll have to look into whatever they eventually make their policy. But we've been doing this since 2e, when there was no OGL as well, so I'd expect we'll find a way to stay under the radar and avoid any cease and desists.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I don't think there's reason for terror and horror guys. Well, aside of the... let's not talk about that.
There's no reason for terror and horror about One D&D, I think. I believe we cannot use anything yet from one D&D. Once the 6th edition is finally released (or 5.5 I should say, so far it is very similar), I believe we will be allowed to do whatever.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!