Best system for Ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Best system for Ravenloft?

Post by Speedwagon »

hidajiremi wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:42 am
De Montour wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:00 pm I really enjoy Ravenloft using the Savage Worlds rules. There are several pdfs on this site of Ravenloft Ressurrected which is SW version of the setting.
As the author of Ravenloft Reincarnated, I'm pretty biased toward Savage Worlds myself. XD
Are you, by chance, still working on that? I really enjoyed the conversion and was wondering if you were gonna cover other domains like the Frozen Reaches?
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Speedwagon wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 am
De Montour wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:00 pm I really enjoy Ravenloft using the Savage Worlds rules. There are several pdfs on this site of Ravenloft Ressurrected which is SW version of the setting.
As the author of Ravenloft Reincarnated, I'm pretty biased toward Savage Worlds myself. XD
Are you, by chance, still working on that? I really enjoyed the conversion and was wondering if you were gonna cover other domains like the Frozen Reaches?
I am! It's just slow going between my day job and my writing gig. I'm also working to bring Ravenloft Reincarnated into line with the newly released Fantasy Companion and Horror Companion material. =)
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

hidajiremi wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:15 am

I am! It's just slow going between my day job and my writing gig. I'm also working to bring Ravenloft Reincarnated into line with the newly released Fantasy Companion and Horror Companion material. =)
Hey, that's great to hear! It's always nice to see something that one might've thought abandoned or not touched in a long time get some word from the creator that there'll be (in the far future, not necessarily in the near future) more coming down the pipeline. I'd be happy to see some other Clusters get touched upon with the Ravenloft Reincarnated treatment (Frozen Reaches, Shadowlands, Steaming Lands, Scattered Lotus, etc.)
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Speedwagon wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:40 pm

Hey, that's great to hear! It's always nice to see something that one might've thought abandoned or not touched in a long time get some word from the creator that there'll be (in the far future, not necessarily in the near future) more coming down the pipeline. I'd be happy to see some other Clusters get touched upon with the Ravenloft Reincarnated treatment (Frozen Reaches, Shadowlands, Steaming Lands, Scattered Lotus, etc.)
All of that stuff is in the offering, as well as a supplement about the 5E version of the setting and its denizens!
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

hidajiremi wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:53 am

All of that stuff is in the offering, as well as a supplement about the 5E version of the setting and its denizens!
Awesome to hear! I look forward to it when it's ready!
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Speedwagon wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:59 am
hidajiremi wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:53 am

Awesome to hear! I look forward to it when it's ready!
In case you haven't seen it yet, I've started posting the initial writeups for the Frozen Reaches Cluster. =)
jinat
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jinat »

I prefer any system from indie rpg side of things. Dread is a good one, Dungein World, Alas of the Awful Seas, Blue Beards Wife (specially for Blausstein) etc,

Its been years i cant even remember when i last used any iteration of D&D for Ravenloft.
Icecubez
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Icecubez »

I like to think some domains or clusters are better suited towards specific systems.

Like most of 2e/3e Ravenloft, with the exception of Darkon/Sithicus, is mostly human-centric. You could totally play another race but you'd stand out. Though in 4e, those domains started having more fantastical races, so that works well in that system.

There's also domains that come from low-fantasy settings like Odiare, Malosia and Mithras' Court. Those domains would be better suited for low-magic systems.