Paths of Corruption

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Paths of Corruption

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Here's something I just wondered: is it possible for someone to be on multiple Paths of Corruption?
Most of the Paths are thematic, after all. Tarnos Shadowcloak is on the Shadowmaster Path because he keeps tampering with the Demiplane's reality through shadow-magic, for instance. But what if we had a villain whose crimes are manifold and varied? One whose sins are not limited to one specific kind of evil? Would it be possible for someone like that to be at different stages in multiple Paths of Corruption? And what if they somehow managed to get to the final stages on multiple Paths? Would they receive cumulative bonuses and torments?
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Paths of Corruption

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I wouldn't imagine that the Dark Powers would give somebody a pass and allow their corruption to be slowed b/c the individual in question was not picky in the ways of sin. I COULD see them afflicting the individual with a jigsaw puzzle like path of corruption reflecting the patchwork nature of the transgressor. Like the corrupted character might start falling apart at the seams, or get different body parts replaced with creatures or even other corrupt individuals from the past the current character resembles. Of if you played off of the flexibility aspect, the character might be able to bend and change but have very little ability to maintain tasks for long or even hold a consistent shape.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

I'd say that is someone that isn't on a path of corruption. That's just an evil person that acts consistently all the time.

Someone on a path of corruption is likely someone that isn't evil in all aspects, but is rather afflicted (willingly or not) by some deviancy that is corrupting. So this person might be a good friend, neighbour or spouse, but when it comes to the deviancy that they cannot or will not control, anything good about them is in abeyance. The paths are about specificity.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:01 pm I wouldn't imagine that the Dark Powers would give somebody a pass and allow their corruption to be slowed b/c the individual in question was not picky in the ways of sin.
Yes, this. My first inclination would be to pull effects from each of the applicable disparate paths, but exaggerated. If you're going to be undisciplined in your evil, then the Dark Powers will make your lack of discipline more visible to the whole of the world.
The Lesser Evil wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:01 pm I COULD see them afflicting the individual with a jigsaw puzzle like path of corruption reflecting the patchwork nature of the transgressor. Like the corrupted character might start falling apart at the seams, or get different body parts replaced with creatures or even other corrupt individuals from the past the current character resembles. Of if you played off of the flexibility aspect, the character might be able to bend and change but have very little ability to maintain tasks for long or even hold a consistent shape.
The Path of the Mongrelfolk?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:01 pm Of if you played off of the flexibility aspect, the character might be able to bend and change but have very little ability to maintain tasks for long or even hold a consistent shape.
Sodo of Zherisia
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe