Favorite Non-Darklord NPCs

Discussing all things Ravenloft
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Favorite Non-Darklord NPCs

Post by IanFordam »

I've been thinking lately about how much attention gets paid to darklords. It's natural, given that they are literally the basis for the Dread Domains, but I also feel it's an unfortunate narrowing of vision. I'm a big fan of situations, large and small, which are not centered upon the darklord. (Not initially, at least. Attentive darklords often insist upon getting involved if a situation escalates.)

So... Who are some of your favorite non-darklord NPCs?

Let me offer some of mine:

[*] The Jackal. My attention was caught by a throwaway paragraph in Circle of Darkness. That single paragraph offered the Jackal's double life, her lycanthropic lieutenant, and the possibility that she could become "friend or foe of the heroes". So much opportunity for a nuanced character!

[*] Baron Camar D’Marosso from The Book of Souls. In the article where he first appears, D'Marosso's sycophantic voice showed me a deeper portrait of Marquis Stezen D'Polarno than any prior source had painted. If I ever run an adventure in Ghastria, it will be because D'Marosso convinced me to visit.

[*] James Martigan from The Book of Secrets. He's a zero-level human, so he won't be going on lots of dangerous adventures. However, he's a zero-level human of considerable wealth, and he has excellent reason to sponsor those heroes who are willing to face danger and adventure.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Favorite Non-Darklord NPCs

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Jacqueline Montarri, I can't remember off the top of my head the reasons though... :lol:
Great portrayal of her in the To Sleep with Evil novel.

Louise Renier, I like the antagonism between the sisters and she is more likeable than her sister.
Also greatly portrayed in Scholar of Decay novel.

Mayonaka, although I prefer him as a wandering desperado-trying-to-find-a-better gunman-than-himself style samurai wondering the Core than settling in Rokushima Táiyoo.

Vladimir Ludzig, I like the horrifying concept of his place of origin as well as his adaptation of it in Falkovnia.

Dr. Dominiani in Feast of Goblyns as well as his betrayal described in the 2e Ravenloft Campaign Setting (Red Box).

Nostalia Romaine is also one of my favourites, she could be played as "Milady" from Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers and I like the story of Camille Dilisnya's assassination.

Ratik Ubel as portrayed in VRArsenal was a really good "revival" of that character.

The :Brain: is a favourite one too :)

"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Van Richten of course. George Weathermay, the Weathermay-Foxgrave twins, Alanik Ray to mention others. Jander Sunstars too. I do prefer good guys to badguys.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mistmaster wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:57 am Van Richten of course. George Weathermay, the Weathermay-Foxgrave twins, Alanik Ray to mention others. Jander Sunstars too. I do prefer good guys to badguys.
For good guys I prefer more troubled ones as Ivan Dragonov, Gondegal and George Weathermay as well as Tara Kolyana and Toret Johann Severin.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

For me, George Weathermay. Hands-down. One of the few "good guys" in the Black Box (I can't think of any others right now all the same, outside of Van Richten), and his touch up in 3E was as I've said before the most organic in so far as my mind envisions the wear and tear nature of Ravenloft.

Gondegal was cool (a historic sidenote in Forgotten Realms from what I recall), but his turnaround was a bit meh when I first read of it. His redemption arc (an underdeveloped theme in print for some strange reason) did grow on me fairly quickly though.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Five wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:32 am Gondegal was cool (a historic sidenote in Forgotten Realms from what I recall), but his turnaround was a bit meh when I first read of it.
I had read about the Lost King of Arabel before buying the Realm of Terror box set. For me it was a nice surprise but his background in the black box could be a bit better
Five wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:32 am His redemption arc (an underdeveloped theme in print for some strange reason) did grow on me fairly quickly though.
I had a problem with the vampires draining him to near death, as permanent level draining is something I don't use but there are always reasons to fix this (like for instance being drained by crystal daggers.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

He is a fairly important NPC in my Falkovnia.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:19 am Jacqueline Montarri, I can't remember off the top of my head the reasons though... :lol:
Great portrayal of her in the To Sleep with Evil novel.
I see what you did there, but I'm sorry, I'm going to have to cut you off...
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:19 am Louise Renier, I like the antagonism between the sisters and she is more likeable than her sister.
Also greatly portrayed in Scholar of Decay novel.
Scholar of Decay is my favorite Ravenloft novel.
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:19 am Mayonaka, although I prefer him as a wandering desperado-trying-to-find-a-better gunman-than-himself style samurai wondering the Core than settling in Rokushima Táiyoo.

Vladimir Ludzig, I like the horrifying concept of his place of origin as well as his adaptation of it in Falkovnia.

Dr. Dominiani in Feast of Goblyns as well as his betrayal described in the 2e Ravenloft Campaign Setting (Red Box).

Nostalia Romaine is also one of my favourites, she could be played as "Milady" from Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers and I like the story of Camille Dilisnya's assassination.

Ratik Ubel as portrayed in VRArsenal was a really good "revival" of that character.

The :Brain: is a favourite one too :)
Also good choices! As you know, since you picked 'em.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mistmaster wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:57 am Van Richten of course. George Weathermay, the Weathermay-Foxgrave twins, Alanik Ray to mention others. Jander Sunstars too. I do prefer good guys to badguys.
The classics are classics for good reason. :)
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Five wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:32 am For me, George Weathermay. Hands-down. One of the few "good guys" in the Black Box (I can't think of any others right now all the same, outside of Van Richten), and his touch up in 3E was as I've said before the most organic in so far as my mind envisions the wear and tear nature of Ravenloft.

Gondegal was cool (a historic sidenote in Forgotten Realms from what I recall), but his turnaround was a bit meh when I first read of it. His redemption arc (an underdeveloped theme in print for some strange reason) did grow on me fairly quickly though.
Weathermay started off good, but his experiences (and his guilt) have hardened him. Gondegal start off neutral, but his own experiences have driven him to find better purpose. Nicely contrasting examples!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

I would love to know more about the Inquest from Spectre of the Black Rose. The four judges serving Malocchio Aderre didn't seem to be fully human.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Dr. Gregorian Illhousen was a favorite of mine, for a few reasons. He's a good example of how non-adventurers can make a big difference. He has several interesting storylines. Independent of them, I found he was, as an oneirologist and an expert on the maladies of the mind, easy to slot into a couple of adventures as a consultant on such matters. His rider's dilemma from Gaz V was also a really interesting concept that gave me a clearer picture of the previously entangled Nova Vaasa domain. And his generally scruffy look kind of stands out in my mind.

Louise Renier was another one that came to mind. The thing she has going on in Scholar of Decay is a good show of how the pasture is not always greener on the other side.

In general I really like the collective cast of Carnival (both the l'Morai incarnation and Isolde's). It seems like they really allow for a unique and dynamic environment.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

IanFordam wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:26 pm
Five wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:32 am For me, George Weathermay. Hands-down. One of the few "good guys" in the Black Box (I can't think of any others right now all the same, outside of Van Richten), and his touch up in 3E was as I've said before the most organic in so far as my mind envisions the wear and tear nature of Ravenloft.

Weathermay started off good, but his experiences (and his guilt) have hardened him. Gondegal start off neutral, but his own experiences have driven him to find better purpose. Nicely contrasting examples!
I have purposedly kept George good giving him a little future werewolf son to protect.
Rebel Mage
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Rebel Mage »

I love Jander Sunstar (he's an NPC in the campaign I'm running and is playing a pretty big part so far). I love the struggle between wanting to be good and the pull to evil vampirism gives... He's a sad little trash man and I love him.

My other favourite is Ezmerelda. Met her as an NPC in the first Curse of Strahd game I played and fell in love. I'm just... very gay.
“I wonder whether you feel as strangely drawn towards me as I do to you; I have never had a friend—shall I find one now?”
—Carmilla, J. Sheridan Le Fanu
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Wolfglide of the Fraternity wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:35 pm I would love to know more about the Inquest from Spectre of the Black Rose. The four judges serving Malocchio Aderre didn't seem to be fully human.
Hmm. I totally need to reread Spectre.