Children of the Night: Walking Dead

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Children of the Night: Walking Dead

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Which walking dead would you be interested having an adventure with?
  • Ratik Ubel (maybe involving Alanik Ray)
  • Toben the Many (maybe involving a Falkovnian invasion to Darkon.
  • Jugo Hesketh
  • An ancient scroll that makes someone able to control Desert Zombies (maybe an encounter with Senmet on the side)
  • A story about a former NPC close to the PCs turned into a boneless (possibly an appearance of Faylorn)
  • A villain searching for the secret of creating pyroskeletons aka skeletal giants (learning the legend of Radaga on the way, maybe even encountering the Beast of the Hills)
  • Damon Skragg the ex-demilord of the Jagged Coast.
  • The Glutton of G'Henna (if set in G'Henna the PCs could encounter bony hands as well
  • A necromancer gathering material to create Strahd's Malefic Meld (maybe in Hazlan?).
  • Grandall and his stitched creations (can't help it but I am thinking of Kay Amin who was the fourth wife of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin and was mysteriously and brutally murdered. Those who have seen the film The Last King of Scotland know what I mean.
  • An adventure featuring a Doedridere (Nova Vaasa).
  • A "vampire hunt" that leads the PCs to the horrifying existence of a porcelain lady.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Children of the Night: Walking Dead

Post by Speedwagon »

• Definitely Toben the Many
  • Ratik Ubel and involving Alanik Ray would be cool but might be better for a Casebook of Alanik Ray project, no?
  • A villain searching for the secret of creating pyroskeletons aka skeletal giants (learning the legend of Radaga on the way) (that would be really cool, especially since I'm thinking of submitting for QtR a CotN: Giants at some point in the future)
  • Damon Skragg would be cool, could be framed as a mission from the Rex to deal with an enemy of the state
  • A necromancer gathering material to create Strahd's Malefic Meld (maybe in Hazlan?) (Hazlan needs some adventure love, so I vote for this!)
  • An ancient scroll that makes someone able to control Desert Zombies (maybe an encounter with Senmet on the side) (definitely in an Egypt mood)
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

How about one of the left behind servants of Soth, one of his 13 knights, causing strife in Sitchicus.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

KingCorn wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:12 pm How about one of the left behind servants of Soth, one of his 13 knights, causing strife in Sitchicus.
I believe skeletal warriors fall under the ancient dead category (2nd or 3rd rank mummies?), they are after all as ancient as Loren Soth himself :soth:

A Skeletal Warrior, also called a skeleton warrior, is a type of Undead who was once an experienced mortal combatant that has been forced to continue fighting after death. Skeletal warriors look similar to normal skeletons until they start moving except for tiny pinpricks of red light that emanate from their empty eye sockets. Unlike a normal undead Skeleton a skeletal warrior retains the intelligence, memories, and combat skills it had in life. Some still wear the armor they were buried with, along with a favoured weapon.

Some skeletal warriors are created by a Death Knight in which case the two are bound together and the skeletal warrior is compelled to serve its creator until one of them is destroyed. Those unfortunate enough to find themselves in the domain of Sithicus may also meet versions of Soth’s minions. Because they are reflections of Soth’s memories taken by the Dark Powers, they are flawed and will not follow Soth’s commands completely
(they are not particularly obedient :mrgreen: ).
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Adventurers ending in a domain where undead are often friendly and dealing with thecultural shock.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

You mean like Lazendrak.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I did not want mention my own works, Irule might work too.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Mistmaster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:25 am Adventurers ending in a domain where undead are often friendly and dealing with thecultural shock.

Myself I've been itching to return to Daglan... or at least what's left of it!

Creating a domain where the undead are more common and not considered hideous monsters would be an interesting endeavor, but I'm sure there's countless examples of such things that fans have created throughout the years somewhere around here.

Might make an interesting "hub world" concept for COTN: Walking Dead edition. Imagine a wight, a ghoul and a skeleton warrior drinking in a bar and trading tall tales about their "unlife" with each other!
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Daglan might be a great place for that concept, assuming the Duskreach Cluster is where it managed to be relocated to. It’s honestly a pretty blank slate other than what’s said in Feastvof Goblyns. Good call!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Some of these are fan favorites but alas they were rarely used, so they need some some love.
  • Ratik Ubel (add adventure hooks)
  • Toben the Many (a complicated NPC, but so cool)
  • The Glutton of G'Henna (adventure hooks needed)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

How about an Animus Rex? One of the corrupted elemental spirits which can raise the dead (a pyre elemental or grave elemental). I even have a good idea for one from my CotN: Elementals idea: The Mound.

The Mound is an ancient grave elemental, out in any one of the less civilized domains (Invidia, Kartakass, Barovia, ect) that has slept from ages and ages. However, any bodies left on the hill will be in the ground within a few hours, even if you don't give a grave (the ground just absorbs them). A necromancer could be trying to take advantage of its powers as an Animus, but risk waking the thing and causing disaster.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:54 pm
Mistmaster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:25 am Adventurers ending in a domain where undead are often friendly and dealing with thecultural shock.

Creating a domain where the undead are more common and not considered hideous monsters would be an interesting endeavor, but I'm sure there's countless examples of such things that fans have created throughout the years somewhere around here.
At least four of my own design.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

KingCorn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:40 am How about an Animus Rex? One of the corrupted elemental spirits which can raise the dead (a pyre elemental or grave elemental). I even have a good idea for one from my CotN: Elementals idea: The Mound.

The Mound is an ancient grave elemental, out in any one of the less civilized domains (Invidia, Kartakass, Barovia, ect) that has slept from ages and ages. However, any bodies left on the hill will be in the ground within a few hours, even if you don't give a grave (the ground just absorbs them). A necromancer could be trying to take advantage of its powers as an Animus, but risk waking the thing and causing disaster.
Do you have a link to that CotN: Elementals thread? It sounds really cool and I’d hope to see it in this year’s QtR, so I’d like to help out or pitch ideas or whatever would be most useful to you!
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Speedwagon wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:02 am
KingCorn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:40 am How about an Animus Rex? One of the corrupted elemental spirits which can raise the dead (a pyre elemental or grave elemental). I even have a good idea for one from my CotN: Elementals idea: The Mound.

Do you have a link to that CotN: Elementals thread? It sounds really cool and I’d hope to see it in this year’s QtR, so I’d like to help out or pitch ideas or whatever would be most useful to you!
Here ya go:
https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/for ... ilit=dross
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

A collection of random thoughts, shuffling through my mind:
  • For me, Toben the Many and the Glutton of G'Henna were the highlights of VRG:WD. Apparently not just for me!
  • By this time Jugo Hesketh might have found a way to increase his power to become more than Just a Ghast. A Ghast Lord? Or perhaps an adventure might center upon his attempt to gain more power.
  • I've always liked Damon Skragg. Didja know he's vulnerable to weapons made from driftwood? That's what my players learned, anyway.
  • How 'bout something using the lebendtod? Preferably set away from Graben Island where lebendtod are already the ubiquitous adversary.
  • The Mound is cool. Sounds like it might fit best in its original CotN:Elementals context, but it is definitely cool nonetheless.