Children of the Night: Walking Dead

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Children of the Night: Walking Dead

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

KingCorn wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:18 pm A little off topic, more Toben related then CotN related, but what if in Necropolis or in Keening, their is just an entire village/neighborhood of Tobens? Just victims of the grinning death that after escaping trouble just mingled togther and drifted to these undead-safe realms, and becoming a weird powerblock there?
Maybe in Keening, but I doubt it would be in Necropolis, as that would require traveling through Darkon, and the one thing Toben was stated to fear beyond reasons (as reasonable as an insane hivemind can be) is Azalin's ability to control undead.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Death has a similar ability, so I doubt Toben would be glad to find himself in Necropolis.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

As written, Toben's Hive of Bodies special ability doesn't work across domain borders, so having a village of undead bodies in some place like Keening feels unlikely. His profile in Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead suggests he's currently matching wits with Alanik Ray, which would suggest he's in Dementlieu as of that publication's writing.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Between Unliving Lightning (air), Pyro Skeletons (fire), and Living Mounds (earth), I think there is ample material for a crossover between COTN: Elementals and COTN: Walking Dead. I usually dislike novelty for novelty's sake (such as "what if we there was a werewolf that is also a vampire?!?") and prefer character concepts that evolve more naturally, but I think it could be an idea worth exploring. At the very least, DMs can throw some really memorable undead encounters at their players!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:18 pm As written, Toben's Hive of Bodies special ability doesn't work across domain borders.
I think his ability doesn't work across CLOSED domain borders.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

The power is written such that it fails over all domain borders:
This power does not function across Domain borders. Should a body or several bodies cross a Domain border without the majority of its host, it crumbles apart. If somehow the hive of bodies is split between two Domains, the bodies in the Domain with the least number of undead crumble apart.
That said, altering it to fail across closed borders would have its advantages, depending on what the DM is going for. I might prefer it.