The Markovian Survey

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Markovian Survey

Post by Jeremy16 »

I'm about halfway through this long... long awaited final entry in the SoS Gazeteer project and surprised to see nobody commenting on it so far. Am I the only one that knew the magical incantations needed to press on after 295 pages?

Anyway, I'm giving it its very own thread to see what other people think before I do my typical multi-page review of the dang thing (I wish Mephisto paid me by the word for this stuff)!
Last edited by Jeremy16 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Markovian Survey

Post by Speedwagon »

Personally, I love it! I think I commented that I was a big fan of all the Markovia content in the last QtR reviews thread, but I'll reiterate it here. The backstory for Akanga and the detailed write-up on Markovia were really amazing, especially the tie to G'Henna's mongrelmen and Ata-Bestaal was ingenious! I've been waiting for so long for the Sea of Sorrows Gazetteer from the Fraternity of Shadows that I'm chomping at the bit for any new content they put out. Whether that be a Van Richten Society Files for Terrors from the Deep or another Gazetteer, wherever that may be, the fact that the Markovia report came out really fills me with hope. So yeah, it's awesome!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:27 pm (I wish Mephisto paid me by the word for this stuff)!
Heh... :mrgreen:
Ill pay you by illustrations :wink:
Speedwagon wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:40 pm Personally, I love it! I think I commented that I was a big fan of all the Markovia content in the last QtR reviews thread, but I'll reiterate it here. The backstory for Akanga and the detailed write-up on Markovia were really amazing, especially the tie to G'Henna's mongrelmen and Ata-Bestaal was ingenious! I've been waiting for so long for the Sea of Sorrows Gazetteer from the Fraternity of Shadows that I'm chomping at the bit for any new content they put out. Whether that be a Van Richten Society Files for Terrors from the Deep or another Gazetteer, wherever that may be, the fact that the Markovia report came out really fills me with hope. So yeah, it's awesome!
Thanks speedy!
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

As I said, it is very nice and a source of ideas I can steal to enrich my Markovia.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

I barraged poor Meph with detailed feedback in private messages, but then I never got around to writing a review for general consumption. Hey, let's fix that!

To start off: This article makes many different decisions about Markovia than I made in my "Return of Diosamblet" article (and, for that matter, than Mistmaster made in his "Land of Healing and Harming" article). That's a good thing. Readers have three different takes on Markovia to steal from. And there are plenty of excellent ideas to steal here!

I really like the detailed consideration of the flora and fauna, both mundane and monstrous, of the island. It gives a feel for the tropical environment, taking into account the added twist that Markovia was a decidedly non-tropical environment before the Great Upheaval. In particular, I liked the assertion of rats and pigs as a widespread source of food (and trouble) upon the island. All of those carnivorous Broken Ones have to eat something, after all.

The most obvious creatures to encounter upon Markovia are the Broken Ones, and one of my favorite aspects of this article is the breakdown of Broken Ones, both by stock and by success of transformation. I also appreciate the subcultures such as The Farm and The Pack. Using these ideas, Broken Ones are no longer the monolithic creature originally presented in the Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium. Now PCs may face opponents (and allies) of greater variety upon the island, even before adding in the monstrous flora and fauna.

Certain sections—Religion, Government, Economy, Diplomacy—don't contain particular content that stood out to me, but nonetheless they do a solid job of filling in the workings of Markovia. This is an important part of a gazetteer-style article, and this survey does it well.

This article presents some interesting abandoned villages. To nobody's surprise, I'm sure, I like the settlements which were founded by expatriate G'Hennans, but my favorite is actually Piatravin/Piatravenin. Although the behind-the-scenes background of Piatravenin fits well into the pre-Great Upheaval geography, it's still going to be an ominous and out-of-place location for the PCs to stumble across. Atsivogreb is pleasantly straightforward. The Lamordian colony, on the other hand, feels too complicated to me.

A number of important sites, including Markov's estate and the two monasteries, receive their first post-Neither Beast Nor Man (and post-Tapestry of Dark Souls) description. This article also describes two interesting new sites, The Quarry and the White Marsh. Personally, I really like the "Hiding Under the Table" dread possibility.

As for the NPCs: Certain NPCs exist primarily as support characters, rather than driving the main action themselves. I think the support NPCs described in this article are important and well done. (Apparently Meph and I both liked the notion of a Broken One of walrus stock.) The updates to Dr. Markov are good, particularly the details of his alternate forms in light of his "Limp".

To my mind, though, the most clever idea in an article full of clever ideas is Akanga's background, which brings together several bits of obscure lore and pre-Great Upheaval geography in a unexpectedly sensible way. Unfortunately, I also feel that this makes the proposed background for Felix seem derivative.

Captain Lennard Gaertner is important to Dr. Markov's interactions with the mainland, but I found much of his write-up and the accompanying notes to be excessive. Perhaps this is the consequence of having just read 75 other pages of Markovian detail. Similarly, I think that the penanggalans and Jens Kreutznaer, although interesting, suffered for coming at the end of a long article.

However, there are far worse flaws than providing lots of detail. As I said at the beginning of this entirely-too-lengthy review, there are many excellent ideas here, many of which I'm likely to adapt the next time I run an adventure in Markovia.

As a final note, I am heartily amused by some of the "scientific names" used throughout the article. Homo fractiunus markoviana and Rattus tentacalis indeed!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

As the writer of this article I have to say it wouldn't be possible as it is without the notes of Rotipher of the FoS. A lot of stuff written in this survey were developed from Rotipher's ideas which I really liked. A few were changed as they had similarities with other SoS domains that have been written since then (as a murder of ravenkin I changed to wereravens) or to be more closely to canon (as the Swine Queen).

One of my favourite things written by Rotipher were the various settlements, I changed some or combined them with others. The one I liked most was Venomstone, by coincidence the romanian word for wine and poison sound a bit similar so I renamed it Piatravin/Piatravenin. Rotipher's idea for Camille Dilisnya's magical poison was ingenious and I tried to imagine how a place were everything could be coated with a deady poison would be. I imagined it filled with bodies and low magnitude ghosts and so I developed the background story of the Carouso family.

The feuding settlements was another interesting idea but I felt I had to change the background a bit. The story of the Lamordian colony and its "inhabitants" was my idea and I thought that it would be easier to built a colony on preexisting foundations as it usually happens with real world cities and villages than from scratch, so I used some of Rotiphers ideas for other settlements, mainly the great ancient oak (A Barovian village in Rotipher's notes) and the idea of a Tepestani settlement. What I changed and developed in all of them was the impact of the transition of these settlements to the Sea of Sorrows (Rotipher had them all being destroyed by Broken Ones) also it's close proximity to Nova Vaasa made it more likely to have been originally being settled by Vaasi people. Also Atsivogreb should be Astivogreb the reversed of Bergovitsa (as Malken is the reversed of you know who).

The fore mentioned Swine Queen was based on Rotiphers idea of Ludmilla being transformed into a vengeful (female alpha) swine but since canon info states that her demonlike transformed body hadn't survived Markov's procedure I thought of excluding it at first but then decided keep her but canged her into a ghost (though she is still a bit similar to Rual of Forlorn...).

Rotipher had Markov have some scientific education but I sticked to the original "butcher fascinated with science kit for kids" theme. I kept the new Markov servant names and animal of origin except Vern, Rotipher had him be of lizard stock but it didn't go well with canon (from NMNB as there were no reptilian broken ones there) and my own theory why Markov is unable to create broken ones of fish, insect or reptilian stock. \there was a suggestion for loyal broken ones of dog stock so I turned Vern into one.

The inclusion of Shih Suren, the tiger-headed caliban paladin from Heroes of Light was Rotipher's idea and remained unchanged.

The division of broken ones expanding upon the 3E Markovian Broken One template from QtR, to take different degrees of degeneration and categories of success was Rotipher's idea (a great idea I must say) but needed development, as was the reason why there are so few Greater Broken Ones, so I thought of the dice roll needed to create them incorporating Markov's curse in them (he can either replicate external human characteristics to his successes or the psychological but never both to create humans from animals). The Farm and the Pack were Rotiphers ideas and I think I should have written a larger description for the Farm.

The same goes for the quarry, except from Gorg there is no mention how the quarry works (orderlies, punishments etc) and it is something i am fixing now before the final corrected version of QtR#29 as well as some pics for the new plant monsters I have included (hopefully I 'll have the corrected version ready by the end of February). After creating Gorg i found this Reaper miniature which is exactly what I had in mind https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/e ... test/44102.

Gonzoron had the idea of a Zweifalk broken one which is just mentioned but not detailed.

I further develope Rotipher's idea of Akanga wanting to be seen as a god, in NMNB he is an atheist so I thought it was a nice development not to be delusional of being a god but using "godhood" as manipulation tool along with his knowledge of fire making to impose himself on the other broken ones. Rotipher had Akanga's HQ being an abandoned Darkonese fortress but since there was none in NMNB I decide to not include it.

The island being overrun by rats and wild pigs was Rotipher's idea. I just mentioned also the Ratus Tentacalis as they are canon (but probably a monster I would not personally use).

Rtipher had Felix be the resident of the deserted monastery but I chose to keep the Brotherhood of Lost Souls in Markovia as they can be a force that the PC's may find some allies on the island. I almost forgot to include Felix in the report as it was very likely for him to die in NMNB but since many liked him as a character I kept him.

The walrus-broken one who steals their food and molests the seal-folk females was Rotipher's idea but I changed it into a monstrous broken one.

Rotipher also had the idea of Frantisek Markov as a template so I created it and made three forms instead of one (ape, tiger, constrictor snake). Rotipher had him have a limp and less Dex in his favourite ape form but I thought that since in the end of NMNB he changes constantly from form to form his bones would disjoin in any form as the base of his skeleton would be damaged. Having him be severely damaged from it would weaken him a lot so I decided to keep it mainly cosmetic with a small penalty for limping while on an upright form (the interesting thing is that his snake form has no movement penalty).

In general I tried to make Markovia being evident of being dislocated with some things showing where it had been before (I tried to do it as closest to canon as I could). This is the reason for the existence of jermelain as they exist bot in Nova Vaasa and Tepest. I like the plants I created and some new carnivore ones are coming with the new version. Since canon states that the inhabitants of the Markovian settlements fell victim to disease and did not all end up on Markov's table I thought of ways for them to have been eradicated and plants and fungi seemed like a good idea ("nature" against man in a domain were a "man" opposes nature). I wanted to give more character to Felix than just a traitor, so I thought of making him degenerate from a Greater Broken One into a feral one (he is now as all the other broken ones he looked down to, karma is a ...). I prefer the Soul Kraken as a unique monster and so I decided to make it the reason why Markovia hasn't be settled yet, then I thought also about the tides to have a way for a ship to reach the island safely but then it would be stuck and unable to leave for a month. There had to be a supernatural or natural reason why coastal domains haven't managed to exploit this exotic island for two decades.

Also I thought Markov should evolve a bit after NMNB and I thought of making him take the role of a colonist, preying on the islands "indigenous people".

I created Captain Lennard to assist him (who was actually the first NPC I created for Markovia and I happen to like him a lot. While he is a very rich man his obsession of traveling the misty waters makes him unable to actually enjoy his wealth or become more powerful, he is trapped in an ongoing circle of exploitation, violence and discovery.

As you have probably guessed Jens Kreutznaer was inspired by Robinson Crusoe but here's an Easter Egg revelation... the family name Crusoe is corrupted from the German name "Kreutznaer". :Brain:

The creation myth has elements from the Maori creation myth but in general since Markovia is a reflection of its darklord I wanted to have it have many different religions based on the concept of Markov's fall from "godhood", Akanga's rebellion similar to that of the Fallen Angel from Milton's Paradise Lost as well as to show the Broken Ones similar to Stone Age people each tribe with their own culture and religion. In my mind Markovia is a domain of reversed evolution, animalistic anthropology and false gods. The result of Markov's defiance of being a mortal who idolises of being a god, a sadistic psychopath playing god (similar to Mengele). Since Markovia is a wild exotic island domain of beasts and man-beasts I believed it had to have extensive info on flora and fauna and I made an extensive research on both to compensate for the absence of cultural info of humans in other domain gazetteers.

PS
When I include Terror Birds in fauna I had this in mind...
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Markovian Survey Review - Part 1

I liked a lot of the ideas in this final entry of the Sea of Sorrows Gazetteer, but overall I am left with a feeling that something is missing. I think the domain's theme has either not been fleshed out well enough or else has not been fully thought out.

Don't get me wrong, this entry has nailed the Island of Dr. Moreau aesthetic beautifully. But, that treatment is too one dimensional. A jungle domain filled with beastmen should exemplify the battle between man and beast. And I see glimpses of that here, but there's not a strong enough thread running through the entire article. I would even be so bold as to say that this domain should be all about the survival of the fittest to see if nature's savagery wins out over man's civilized trappings. Dr. Markov's continued experimentations fit this leitmotif very well.

This may seem like a minor quibble, but I think with a few well-placed tweaks this overaching message would shine through a lot better, and I will point out areas were I think improvements can be made in my notes below...

Approaching the Island - I love the vivid account of the Soul Kraken and its physiology, but I think its role as a “gatekeeper” that patrols the water surrounding the island should be re-evaluated. Every ship that approaches should not automatically be wrecked by this behemoth, and methods of evading it should be more easily available (for those cunning and skillful enough to pull them off).

DP: The Kraken's Hoard – Sunken treasure? Sign me up! I think this idea should be expanded upon. Legends of fabulous lost riches is just the right kind of hook to get more people to come to this forsaken island even knowing who resides there. Something along the lines of the Oak Island Mystery or Edgar Allan Poe's “Gold-Bug” would fit right in here.

DP: The Dreaming Captain – I don't understand this set up. Am I supposed to recognize Captain Orvin Vossler? Is this supposed to be an account of the first sighting of Markovia? Things seem a little garbled in this section. How did the Nightmare Lands and the Call of the Claw mistway get involved here? The idea of a ghost ship that serves as a mistway to the Nightmare Lands is great, but I think its backstory needs to be streamlined a bit.

Landscape - I like how the pre-conjunction geography is mentioned but had a hard time visualizing this. A more side by side comparison (this used to be [old name] now it is known as [new name] or this used to be a low-lying grassy plain but now it is a high-altitude rocky plateau) would help the reader track the geologically changes better.

This would also be the perfect place to outline all the different beaches or inlets where ships can be docked. I was hoping for a breakdown of beaches similar to how the forest of Verbrek was broken up into different areas with individual descriptions in Gazetteer IV.

Climate – This section should be expanded upon to present more of a rainforest-type vibe with showers happening frequently but temperatures rarely fluctuating. Describe the cooling island breezes and early morning mists that float above the treetops, stuff like that. The weather in the Hawaiin islands would be a good guide for this.

Flora – I think the use of latin names is overdone here. I will say, however, that the descriptions of the interiors of the island match more what I had in mind for the beaches above. Dead Tree Forest is a little too on the nose, tho'. Just because you translate something into French doesn't make it better. I'd prefer something like the Fallen Forest – short but to the point.

This trial by ordeal with the Sea Mango sounded familiar to me, and after a quick online search I found out about the Calabar beans that are simularly used by African tribes to prove guilty or innocent. Very well done, although I might have placed this under the Attitudes Towards Magic section where I think it fits better.

Zygomycota zygom sounds nasty, but I don't see the point of it. Now, I'm not saying that every herb or flower highlighted HAS to reflect the theme of the domain it is found in, but yeah, on second thought... I AM saying that the flora and fauna of the land should reflect its Darklord or the country used as its source material. Besides, I thought the rumors of a plague that desolated the inhabitants were just a cover story for Markov's depradations. Remember, not every mention of a plague (or slavery rings) has to be taken literally!

Dolor Thistle / Sorrow's Graze / Diospirum Fruit / Sea Mango

I don't see the point of the Dolor Thistle. The Diospirum Fruit already paralizes its victims and Markov doesn't need any help causing more pain to his subjects artificially. Tho', I suppose you could cast this as his beastmen trying create something that would neutralize the serum that he uses on them only to wind up with a concoction that causes even more pain instead. Besides, Markov's experiments where never about causing pain; that's just a happy side effect. He's more interested in the twisted results of his depradations and just doesn't care about the pain he causes.

Honestly, it makes more sense to have a bush or herb that serves as an antidote to the doctor's pain-causing techniques instead of something that merely serves to enhance his sadistic tendencies. In fact, Markov could subtly advertise that his island holds the secret to remedies for any number of rare illnesses and poisons – much like how scientists are mining the plants of our rainforests for new medicinal uses today. (Plus, this would further underline the struggle between the natural world and civilization... Is it right to barge in and exploit a land's resources for your own personal gain no matter how noble your endeavor may seem?)

I like the Sea Mango a lot. It mirrors the themes of the land very well – it looks good on the surface (like a tropical island paradise) but when examined more closely it turns dangerous (like discovering the mad doctor and his atrocious experiments that roam the land).

So, in short, cut Dolor Thistle, keep Diospirum Fruit and the Sea Mango.

DP – Althea's Sorrow / The Tree of Life

I really like the Tree of Life concept and the way its use is woven into the domain's mythology. This is exactly what I was looking for above. Althea's Sorrow, while intriguing, doesn't really grab me the same way. I would cut it or else move it to Demise where it belongs.
Last edited by Jeremy16 on Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

I loved the article, it has everything I imagined of Markovia, particularly the transported landscapes. In my imagination, Core-bound Markovia was like the Verbrek of its day only slightly less dangerous: frontier land just waiting to be settled, and thus has a great mess of Barovian, Vaasan, and Tepesti. Having missing pieces of the Balinoks still their is also something I love (I even have an idea that the Balinoks is still connected, and you can still find ties to Bluetspur, Markovia, Ghenna, and those obscure ones)

I also loved the ghost of Markovs wife in the pigs. I had a similar idea, where part of his curse is every so often a pig will be born with his wifes face. He'll alter it, trying to turn it into his wife, but once it screams in her voice he inevitably kills it.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

KingCorn wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:28 pm I loved the article
Thanks!!! :)
KingCorn wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:28 pm I had a similar idea, where part of his curse is every so often a pig will be born with his wifes face. He'll alter it, trying to turn it into his wife, but once it screams in her voice he inevitably kills it.
Unsettling... :azalin:

IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

KingCorn wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:28 pm I also loved the ghost of Markovs wife in the pigs. I had a similar idea, where part of his curse is every so often a pig will be born with his wifes face. He'll alter it, trying to turn it into his wife, but once it screams in her voice he inevitably kills it.
That's creeptacular.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Markovian Survey Review - Part 2

Fauna - I like the digression about the salmon and their spawning ground. It's a good illustration of the survival of the fittest and how “nature always finds a way”. Both good themes to highlight in this domain.

I also like the additon of all the escaped barnyard animals such as pigs, goats, dogs, and horses; it reminds me how roosters still roam all over the Hawaiin islands centuries after being introduced to the area. I'm tempted ask for a magical invasive species to be introduced here, but the tentacle rats that are mentioned don't seem like a good fit. I'll be darned if I can think of anything better myself at the moment...

The tropical birds species are also a good addition. It would be interesting to note that while they migrated from other faraway lands (such as the Steaming Lands cluster) they never seem to make the leap to the Core domains. Not that there's a sinister reason for that - they just like where they are at - but it could add an extra air of mystery to the domain.

Speaking of birds, what is the deal with that giant flightless species? Is there a reference I'm missing?

DP: When Black Feathers Brood – This is a really interesting idea and fits much better (both historically and thematically) than in Dominia.

DP: The Swine Queen – Bringing back Ludmilla's ghost is a really great idea, but it seems like a waste to only use her in this way. I would rather see her show up to really twist the knife in Markov's heart. Have her be sort of a reverse Tatiana where every pig he operates on begins to morph into her likeness and she confronts him with his many sins.

History - I'm not gonna lie, this section is a mess. There's way too much of the darklord's personal history that not everyone should be privy to and not enough focus on the land itself. I'm not asking for a full fledged False History (tho' that would be nice) but I feel like other events should be touched upon here. Whatever happened to the Border War with Falkovnia? Where there any native people in the domain when it appeared? What about scholarly speculation about what happened to the domain after the the land and its people disappeared? Enquiring minds want to know.

Also (and this may be a personal quibble) I don't think this new island that suddenly appeared to the north in the Sea of Sorrows should have immediately become known as Markovia; I would save that revelation until after the events outlined in NMNB and use the survivors of the adventure to get the word out.

Markov's Journals – This makes for a better place to relay Markov's personal history.

The Beastmen - I love this section! The differing degrees of transformation for all the beastmen give DMs plenty of options to treat them as individuals and not one monolithic group.

Deer Stock – I was really hoping for a Greater Broken One that would go against type here: a raging buck with an massive array of antlers sorta like how the Pope Lick Monster is portrayed.

Bat Stock – I feel like these guys should be more reclusive and only found in out of the way caves.

Hawk Stock – I thinnk this group would be a good foils for Akanga's gang. They could be portrayed as more noble and civilized than the rest of the Broken Ones but their avian supremacy mindset would turn everyone off.

Monkey Stock – These guys, on the other hand, should be presented as more carefree and happy to hang out in the treetops while the other Broken Ones fight amongst themselves below.

Pig Stock – These guys should be perfect footsoldiers and could be dang scary if portrayed just right.

Bear / Fox Stock – These two should be much rarer than the more tropical aligned stock. Portraying them as tragic loners who are trying their best to survive in a land where they don't belong would add a layer of pathos that would help underline the domains theme that you either adapt or die.

Attitudes Towards Magic – I love the shamanistic touches here. It would be interesting to see the Broken Ones' reactions if they ever encountered real magic.

Religion – This is a mish-mash of god kings, primitive religious beliefs, and bastardized cults. And I like it! I think a lot more could be done with this, however.

Adding the religious component to the fight for control of the island is a good opportunity to illustrate the survival of the fittest theme I am pushing. Of course, like in historical times, it could get real bloody real fast. With both Markov and Akanga pretending to be a god, just imagine how true believers from each side would view each other and how intense any altercation could get.

What if a paladin (endorsed by their respective patron) appeared on the scene and started waging a take-no-prisoners holy war? That could kick off such devastation that it would make Drakov's machinations look like child play. Then, imagine acolyotes trying to spread the word outside of their domain in order to gain more powerful allies in order to break the stalemate between the two factions.

Another approach to the religious angle could be to present this place as a twisted Garden of Eden. Except in this one you know that your creator does not love you; In fact, he thinks you are a mistake! How can there be any “athiests” in an environment like that? Even those who have switched their loyalty to Akanga have to have niggling doubts in the back of their mind.

Do they think every human they see has the same powers as Markov? Or do they attack any human they may encounter using them as a stand-in for what they would like to do to their maker but are too afraid to admit?

In short, I think this section should be re-evaluated and expanded upon.

Creation Myth – This is like a child's eye view of the domain's many upheavals. Well done!

The Realm – I'm not sure why this section is separate from the Government one below. They both seem to say the same thing.

The Farm / The Pack / The Vermin / Akanga's Army – I like all of these independent factions and think they are great random encounters to throw at PCs.

DP: Akanga the Modern Prometheus – This is a little too derivative and a stretch for me.

DP: The Surf Dancers / The Avatar's Companion / The Mummaid - These are all great ideas, but should be actual canon instead of DPs.

DP: The Quiet Way – I like the scenario this sets up. I love the visual of a humble monastery of beastment learning to calm their inner rage. This could potentially be the one true point of civilization on an entire island filled by anarchy. The fact that it is being lead by a tiger-head paladin that looks like every other Broken One but whose inner nature is trully good is delicious in its irony!

Markov's Lackeys – These replacement henchmen for Markov are all very competent.

Government - I think this is a hard section to get across because it seems like Markov isn't interested in ruling, per se, so there is no government to speak of. The “law of the jungle” or “dog eat dog” actually rules here. Markov is just the apex predator in an island teeming with them and is barely interested in keeping the whole thing running. This place is a powder keg waiting to blow (at worse) or a anarchist's paradise (at best).

I think Diosamblet's gatherings should be given a little more attention her rather than a flat recitation. I think that was quite possibly the creepiest scene in NMNB and should be highlighted as such when talking about this place. I've invoked the image of “the crown jewel of horror” before when reviewing Blaustein and I think this is a similar situation – this is the spot where the real horror of the domain shines brightest.

Economy - This is one the few places where an actual slave trade would be real and warranted as Markov can't very well go out and procure his own subjects.

Diplomacy - I just don't think Captain Gaerner is needed here, nor his monopoly on the trade between Markovia and the mainland. Markov is more than capable of keeping anyone he doesn't want off the island, or at least discouraging return visits. After a few disastrous attempts, I think most people will get the hint and assume that there's nothing there that's worth all the trouble.

Plus, this forces him to take a more active approach to things if he wants to retain his power. Not only does he have to fend off Akanga's usurpations but also every band of would-be settlers that show up at his front door). That's always a plus when updating darklords from their more static 2nd Edition origins.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Another approach to the religious angle could be to present this place as a twisted Garden of Eden. Except in this one you know that your creator does not love you; In fact, he thinks you are a mistake!
This idea just dropkicked my brain. It takes a notion suggested by Meph's "Tree of Life" dread possibility and then cranks it up to eleven.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

IanFordam wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:15 pm
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Another approach to the religious angle could be to present this place as a twisted Garden of Eden. Except in this one you know that your creator does not love you; In fact, he thinks you are a mistake!
This idea just dropkicked my brain. It takes a notion suggested by Meph's "Tree of Life" dread possibility and then cranks it up to eleven.
A supposed 'Fruit of Life' instead paralyzing you and leaving vulnerable is a betrayal only the Rainbow Serpant could appreciate, after all
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

I just realized, Markov's ability to change shape only adds more to his mistique as a god to the Broken Ones. Think about it: he could be wandering about on the island in an animal form to spy the place out, so every so often the Broken Ones will just see a wolf or bird with their gods face! Speaking his command!
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

A few ideas I had to small encounters/side events for players to stumble upon:
  • Captain Gaertner has come to use some of the broken ones to load his ships, but his hanging of a simian broken-one for stealing tobacco has lead to tensions. Markov hates seeing an outside damage his work, while the other simian-broken ones has begun acts of sabotage, and may even help the players in acting against Gaertner.
  • Several broken-ones who have eaten from the God's Nettle Tree claim to have visions of a snake within the tree, taunting them of how their 'god' has betrayed them, while others claim seeing a being similar to their god, lying in a bed of crytal, mocking their helplessness.
  • A fire left unattended in one of the Broken-One settlements has spread and become a forest fire. The villagers flee, terror driving them further to a feral state. Meanwhile, the other settlements notice the fire and interpret it one way or another (some a sign for Akanga, others the wrath of the gods). The island is now very much on edge.
  • Captain Gaertner has been using the abandoned Vasan settlement, Atsivogreb, as a storehouse for his goods. As such, his men guard the place day and night. The broken-ones speak of them as 'guardian spirits, who send invisible fire and thunder'. The were-ravens have from time to time flinched shinier pieces of silver ore from the place.
  • To increase output, Gaertner is attempting to repair some left behind Lamordian mining equipment. Understanding that the only ones who might have any expertise in that would be other Lamordians, he has begun to hire them, trying his best to keep them in the dark about what really happened on the island, or what is current 'business partner' really is. Already a dangerous situation, it seems one of the new hires is in fact a flesh golem of Adam's Children, cast out for several murders which drew unwanted attention.
  • An Ursan Broken-One, a mangy-blackbear of once peaceful enough nature, has slowly been going mad after eating Dread Spore mushrooms from the Tepesti Oak. A wandering menace, Markov might send the players after it as an errand (and as a way to get rid of them)
  • A crashed ship on the beach is considered cursed by all Broken-Ones who will go nowhere near it. Filled with skeletons, a few not animated, defeating them help the player discover that the ship was actually a Kargat vessel, sent by Azalin to map out the island of Markovia. Several documents mention an unknown scholar simply refered to as 'S'.
  • The Dark Powers, as a another insult to Markov, have left a dark-red statue in the shape of a pig, made of some sort of jewel or mineral. A Figurine of Wonderous Power, it will summon a Markovian Feral Pig. Hyper-aggresive, it will not follow commands easily.
  • The fall of the Tepesti-settlement was far more violent than anyone feared, ending in burning of a woman in a crude wickerman. Here blazing spirit can be found wandering around the island.
  • The cold winds of Lamordia, mixing with the tropical winds of Sri Raja coming through the Emerald way have given rise to a great typhoon. Its passing has totally disrupted the fragile status quo of the island, many going feral as they believe the world is ending.
  • A group of Yuan-ti have been taken by the Mists and deposited on Markovia. Hiding as they can amoung they Broken Ones, Markov has gotten word of the group and is interested in studying them, to figure out the genius who 'made them', and to copy the process. Having proven immune to most poisons, they live around the Piatravin, and have gone about looting the place.
  • Going through a temporary period of new obsession, Markov has begun to truly warp his experiments, trying to mix an match animals into one single creature, leading to several aberant-chimeras. Stangely enough, his work has proven better success with retiles and other cold-blooded creatures. Some even breath fire, just what in the hell has Markov made?!
  • A group of Pig-Broken Ones have the head of their former leader on a stick. They did so after he was killed by Akanga, and insist that his spirit still lives within the head, offering advise and dispensing wisdom. They aren't lying...
  • A goat-Broken one is infact a transformed Vistani rauni, captured by chance. Unable to inflict any greater punishment upon Markov than that already wrought by the powers, she still retains some of her sight and uses it to lead a small group of Broken-Ones.
  • Love is in the Ocean air, and with it a love triangle. It seems the good doctor Markov has gotten lonely, and has begun to woo a Dementliu widow by letter, convicing her to come to her island. Alas, another soul has taken notice of her: Bluebeard himself. Each now send assassians against the other. What neither knows is that the good widow is not all that she seems...
  • Slowly recognizing the wonderous power of the guns of Gaertner and his crew, Akanga has made plans for a daring raid to steal as many as possible. Markov, while interested in making his own guards more civilized, is hesitent to arm his them with the weapons, fearing an even more deadly rebellion.