The Markovian Survey

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Markovian Survey

Post by Speedwagon »

Those are all done great adventure hooks, KingCorn! I really like the pig statue, the typhoon, the “Markovian dragon”, the Outlander Yuan-Ti and ‘S’ ones especially! Come to think of it, I feel like the Dark Powers would totally torture Dr. Markov (and be jerks to some poor unfortunate innocents) by sending “exotic” Outlanders to Markovia. Dragonborn, Tieflings, Yuan-Ti, Half-Orcs, Shifters, Aarakockra, Tabaxi, Lizardfolk, essentially all those could be taken by the Mists to Markovia by the Dark Powers to tell Markov “you’ll never make this and these are all-natural”. Woe to those poor souls though…
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Speedwagon wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:47 am I feel like the Dark Powers would totally torture Dr. Markov (and be jerks to some poor unfortunate innocents) by sending “exotic” Outlanders to Markovia. Dragonborn, Tieflings, Yuan-Ti, Half-Orcs, Shifters, Aarakockra, Tabaxi, Lizardfolk, essentially all those could be taken by the Mists to Markovia by the Dark Powers to tell Markov “you’ll never make this and these are all-natural”. Woe to those poor souls though…
But Markov's goal is not to make monsters and strange combinations but to create "perfect specimen" to unlock the secrets of his own transformation and reverse it... (No I don't mean to have a human body and change animal heads...) :mrgreen:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

KingCorn wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:46 pm A few ideas I had to small encounters/side events for players to stumble upon
This is the reason I write! to have ideas evolve. Nice job.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:45 am
Speedwagon wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:47 am I feel like the Dark Powers would totally torture Dr. Markov (and be jerks to some poor unfortunate innocents) by sending “exotic” Outlanders to Markovia. Dragonborn, Tieflings, Yuan-Ti, Half-Orcs, Shifters, Aarakockra, Tabaxi, Lizardfolk, essentially all those could be taken by the Mists to Markovia by the Dark Powers to tell Markov “you’ll never make this and these are all-natural”. Woe to those poor souls though…
But Markov's goal is not to make monsters and strange combinations but to create "perfect specimen" to unlock the secrets of his own transformation and reverse it... (No I don't mean to have a human body and change animal heads...) :mrgreen:
Ahh yeah that's true. I guess a way to maybe kinda/sorta still use that concept is to use it as a potential rumor of a butcher that's interested in said "exotic Outlanders" if only to make a few players sweat when they realize where in Ravenloft they are :lucas:

And having a human body but changing animal heads sounds like a great way for his curse to change for a future DM....

If Markov thinks these player races/lineages are designed, then he would really want them on the table so he can figure out if he can turn them back into pure humans to thwart his own curse, even though there's nothing to turn back, so to speak. But if the concept ultimately isn't one that's salvageable, then that's fine. The Markovs we got in this year's QtR and FoS SoS preview are all great interpretations of the character we got from NMNB and the various campaign setting books!
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Markovian Survey Review - Part 3

G'Hennan Villages (Noukar and Razbunarg) - While it may seem like an interesting idea to have two warring communities settled right next to each other I don't buy this set up. The last thing an invading army wants to do is settle down for a long drawn-out siege in a strange land. And the current beastman inhabitants continuing that rivalry just seems silly and forced.

Although, I guess it could work if you changed the villagers' conflict to develop in a more organic way, such as the believers in the Provider settled there first, then the believers of the Devourer came in later and tried to take over things...

Borcan Village (Piatravin) – The references to Camille Boritsi and pre-conjunction Borcan history is a nice callback.

DP: The Venom Stone – I really like the idea of a an entire manor that is poison to the touch. Just imagine PCs coming upon this place of preserved opulence in the middle of a jungle that so far has only held ruins!

DP: Wrongly Accused / Happy Deathday / Offshore Assets – As usual, these DPs are good enough to be regular old canon. I would normally say therea are too many spirits floating around this place, but what is Ravenloft good for if not a good old-fashioned haunted mansion? Just don't let Disney know!

Nova Vaasan Village (Atsivogreb) – This entry was just meh to me. It could easily be omitted without losing anything.

Lamordian Colony + DP: The Vanishing / The Castaway / The Dread Spore – I am all onboard with a colonization attempt gone bad but I find (surprise surprise) that there is too much going on here. A site that keeps getting settled over and over again just to end up in disaster is a great kernal of an idea, but unless there's a really good payoff (say, like it was built over and old Indian burial ground) then I would scrap that aspect.

Instead it would be better to just focus on the current attempts at establishing a Lamordian presence on the island. It serves as a perfect encapsulation of the civilization versus nature theme without getting bogged down in a lengthy backstory.

Throwing a frickin' pennaglan into the mix was a nice surprise! The spores, however, are a bit much. Let it be an eerie but safe hideway for PCs to rest at with an unexpected monster encounter if the DM so chooses. Adding in deadly airborne fungus destroys the usefulness of such a place; not every spot on the island needs to be a deathtrap!

Markov's Estate + DP: The Old Markov House / The Aberration Triangle- I don't like these DPs at all. Usually I'm a sucker for mistways, but they have to be a natural fit. This is just weird for weirdness sake. Having a callback to Markov's old life is a nice idea but I don't think this is the way to go about it.

I would much prefer a mistway that connects Markovia to Saragoss (another marine-based domain) where people think they are getting free from a dismal prison (a domain filled with dangerous pirates and deadly sea creatures) only to be washed ashore on this crazy island. That would also explain how Markov has managed to scavenge such a large collection of items from different worlds.

The Order of the Guardians - While everyone who knows Ravenloft is familiar with this lore already, I find this description is a little too plain. For a secret, multi-celled cult to have its history and purpose laid bare is counter to their entire mission. Maybe it is just a matter of flavor text, as I think the Fraternity of Shadows would be rather dismissive of these untrained yokels trying to keep a bunch of powerful magical items safe from evil-doers.

I like the run down of the other cells of the order, but think that should be put in a sidebar instead of the main text. Also, for someone who is usually so thorough when it comes to connecting the dots between canon events and expanding upon them appropriately (such as linking Radaga and the Crown of Souls to a new, unmentioned cell of the Guardians) you left out the domains of Bileplate, Theka, and Moridana from NMNB!

I had several private conversations with Daisu who did a write-up of these lands in QTR #22 and the interesting thing about them is that they are implied (based on the context) to have their own Order of the Guardians within them! Moridana (based on the Endless Quest novel Castle of the Undead) has the Blood Knife, Theka (based on the Spelljammer adventure Crystal Spheres) has the Ultimate Helm, and Bileplate... well, Bileplate is an blank slate. Surely in such a comprehensive survey of the Order of the Guardians they deserve a mention!

The Monastery of the Lost Souls - This is pretty much the same info that can be found in NMNB, and it's just okay. I really wanted these guys to either die out completely or become more active in the domain's affairs. I mean, after the events of NMNB I figured Markov would take some revenge against these guys. And even if Markov didn't kill them, wouldn't being away from the Table of Life's aura cause them to disintegrate?

The Table of Life DPs – These are all adequate but none of them really grab me. Let's face it, this artifact was tailor-made for this domain, and any other uses it can be put to don't have the same gravitas.

Ruins of the Monastery of the Guardians / The Gathering Cloth – this section delves too much into the events of the novel, which I find unnecessary. I would cut most of this out and just stick to the relevant details (origin of the order, Morgoth's attack, the aftermath of the monastery's destruction) not every single plot point along the way.

DP: Leaves of Three, Let it Be – This is nothing more than glorified monster manual entry and I think it detracts from the island's “man vs. beast” theme. It's the animal kingdom, not the plant kingdom, that should be the true danger here. Again, not every spot on the island has to be a deathtrap. The same jungle that aids the Broken Ones hunt down their prey should also be able to safely conceal the PCs (provided they have enough wildnerness know-how).

Sunset Bay – This is pretty standard stuff, but there are some nice touches here.

Making Captain Gaertner a seawolf seems like overkill. We want people to be able to come and go from the island relatively freely, not have the entire place be a deadly, escape-proof prison. Where's the fun in that? The monthly tides make it difficult enough. I would choose one or the other.

The Great Stone Men – I applaud the author for restraining themselves and not adding any lethal elements (be it plant or animal) to the area surrouding these things. Per canon, this is one of the few spots on the island where even Broken Ones fear to tread. Let's keep it that way.

DP: The Creepers – See “Leaves of Three” above. Do not pass go.

Huts of the Broken Ones – I am a little confused here. I thought the beastmen originally devolved due to the Table of Life breaking Markov's control over the domain and his darklord-granted powers. Is this effect ongoing? Or is that just a typo?

The Quarry – This addition to the domain is a good way to get outsiders interested in the island and provides Markov an avenue to interact people and events outside of his regular sphere of influence. Once again, I don't see any need for Captain Gaertner to be involved here when Markov could just as easily do this on his own.

I would have preferred these to be diamond mines, however, to keep in line with the jungle theme. But, I guess silver is fine too – good to have around, but not too valuable to warrant a full scale invasion from Darkon or Lamordia.

DP: Minute Wars – To be honest, I saw this one coming from a mile away. Still it's an interesting microcosm of the wider conflict that consumes the island so it's worth keeping.

The White Marsh - I like the addition of this area as well, but I have mixed feelings about the two plants mentioned here. Swordgrass is underwhelmining, but giant bladderword is great! It reminds me of a story (by Manly Wade Wellman I believe) that I read about a giant man-eating plant that was shaped like a crude hut to lure lost travelers. This puts all those other sections about plants to shame!

DP: Hiding Under the Table - Now this one I didn't see coming... and I absolutely love it! Everything makes sense and it all ties together neatly. The only thing that would make this better is if the monks from the Monastery of the Lost actually did die out and now no one knows the secret of the Table's final resting place. No one, that is, except the creepy old man (actually Father Milhouse in disguise) who dwells somewhere in the middle of the swamp and who always appears suddenly to warn any trespassers to stay away...
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

KingCorn wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:46 pmA group of Pig-Broken Ones have the head of their former leader on a stick. They did so after he was killed by Akanga, and insist that his spirit still lives within the head, offering advise and dispensing wisdom. They aren't lying...
Have a bunch of shipwrecked schoolboys on the island come across this head as well?
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Some more encounter and adventure ideas:
  • Some still human Sri-Rajan slaves have escaped and are hiding out near the quarry. In their terror, they believe that Gorg is an avatar of Ganesh, and are devising a way to free him, believing he can help them escape this hellish island. If approached, they will at first be hostil, being half mad from fear, starvation, and recent religious mania.
  • Markov has recently acquired a set of Figurines from Sri Raja alongside a recent delivery of 'specimens'. While at first fascinated, he has grown disquited by them, feeling their animal forms are now mocking him. Their recent escapades haven't helped either,
  • A nest of Bat-Broken ones nesting within a cave have discovered a left-behind Ba'al Verzi dagger, left behind long ago. Its power has enthralled them, giving them a uniquely strong bloodlust compared to other broken-ones.
  • Markov has grown a new interest in a recent Lamordian invention: the phonograph. Paying exuperantly for a model, he has begun to record many of his experiments as well as animal sounds. Those who listen the surgry recordings must make a horror check from the sounds of screaming men and animals
  • Through an illicit source, a member of the hunt-club has discovered something of the true nature of the island, and has organized a 'hunting expidition'.
  • The abandoned Vasan bandit settlement held several secret areas, including an underground storage that wasn't found on the Barovian-Vasan raid. Inside, one can find the bones of long starved horse-foals, a petrified Manticore egg, and a semi-stocked alchemy station.
  • A larger ape broken-one beating a smaller broken-one to death. Around its a mouth is blood is bits of mashed fruit, and in its fury it screams 'Assassin' over and over in broken Balok. It has eaten poisonous fruit, or at least believes it has.
  • In the basement of a house within the Lamodian colony, players can find a series of letters between leaders of the colony and the Falkovnian Ministry of Trade, apparently with plans to establish a Falkovnian Trade embassy on the island within the colony. Such a discovery would be very embarassing for Lamordia should these letters be delivered to any of the Four-Tower nations
  • The remains of a half-finished saw-mill and shipyard can be found in the Lost Lamordian Colony. Over the years, Lina has been working on restoring one of the ships, should she ever need to leave the island. All she needs is whatever means Captain Gaertner has for escaping the mists and the Soul Kraken
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm DP: Hiding Under the Table - Now this one I didn't see coming... and I absolutely love it! Everything makes sense and it all ties together neatly. The only thing that would make this better is if the monks from the Monastery of the Lost actually did die out and now no one knows the secret of the Table's final resting place. No one, that is, except the creepy old man (actually Father Milhouse in disguise) who dwells somewhere in the middle of the swamp and who always appears suddenly to warn any trespassers to stay away...
I didn't mind the continued presence of the Guardians of the Monastery of Lost Souls... but I like this much better!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm G'Hennan Villages (Noukar and Razbunarg)... The last thing an invading army wants to do is settle down for a long drawn-out siege in a strange land.
They are fanatics they don't care about consequences... :mrgreen:
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm And the current beastman inhabitants continuing that rivalry just seems silly and forced.
This was Rotipher's idea, I thought it was a nice touch.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Although, I guess it could work if you changed the villagers' conflict to develop in a more organic way, such as the believers in the Provider settled there first, then the believers of the Devourer came in later and tried to take over things...
This is an interesting idea d not to different than the one proposed... but why would the Devourer settlers settle there (in a place of abundance)?
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Borcan Village (Piatravin) – The references to Camille Boritsi and pre-conjunction Borcan history is a nice callback.
Rotipher's idea
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm DP: The Venom Stone – I really like the idea of a an entire manor that is poison to the touch. Just imagine PCs coming upon this place of preserved opulence in the middle of a jungle that so far has only held ruins!
Rotipher's idea
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm DP: Wrongly Accused / Happy Deathday / Offshore Assets – As usual, these DPs are good enough to be regular old canon. I would normally say there are too many spirits floating around this place, but what is Ravenloft good for if not a good old-fashioned haunted mansion? Just don't let Disney know!
Thanks! yes there are too many ghosts but it was a party gone wrong. I thought the haunted mansion in the jungle would be a strange surprise so I just did it.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Nova Vaasan Village (Atsivogreb) – This entry was just meh to me. It could easily be omitted without losing anything.
It is all about world-building. Since there was a village in NMNB close to the Barovian and Nova Vaasan border the most logical outcome I believe was to be a smugglers settlement.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Lamordian Colony + DP: The Vanishing / The Castaway / The Dread Spore – I am all onboard with a colonization attempt gone bad but I find (surprise surprise) that there is too much going on here. A site that keeps getting settled over and over again just to end up in disaster is a great kernal of an idea, but unless there's a really good payoff (say, like it was built over and old Indian burial ground) then I would scrap that aspect.
As I wrote in a previous post it is more logical for the Lamordian's to settle on a pre-existing settlement and since this was really close to Nova Vaasa I thought it was most likely first settled by Vaasi. Since Rotipher's notes had it being a Tepestani settlement I decided to make it resettled by them. The Lamordian colony is from NMNB so it is canon.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Instead it would be better to just focus on the current attempts at establishing a Lamordian presence on the island. It serves as a perfect encapsulation of the civilization versus nature theme without getting bogged down in a lengthy backstory.
I actually kind of did that with Gartner's monopoly, I believe if it wasn't for the Soul Kraken (a Mist creature obeying the Dark Powers) the island would have been settled long before.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Throwing a frickin' pennaglan into the mix was a nice surprise! The spores, however, are a bit much. Let it be an eerie but safe hideway for PCs to rest at with an unexpected monster encounter if the DM so chooses. Adding in deadly airborne fungus destroys the usefulness of such a place;
The penannangalan was first but then I thought of that the Tepestani would have freaked out with the transition in the middle of the se nd the spores was a fun ide to use.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pmnot every spot on the island needs to be a deathtrap!
Well you didn't like Astivogreb...

Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Markov's Estate + DP: The Old Markov House / The Aberration Triangle- I don't like these DPs at all. Usually I'm a sucker for mistways, but they have to be a natural fit. This is just weird for weirdness sake. Having a callback to Markov's old life is a nice idea but I don't think this is the way to go about it.
I wouldn't use aberrations normally, but it is 4e canon, not the mistway though but I wanted an alternative way for PC's to end up in the island besides boarding a ship.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm I would much prefer a mistway that connects Markovia to Saragoss (another marine-based domain) where people think they are getting free from a dismal prison (a domain filled with dangerous pirates and deadly sea creatures) only to be washed ashore on this crazy island. That would also explain how Markov has managed to scavenge such a large collection of items from different worlds.
Well Markov scavages whatever ends up on the shores of his island (which is really large by the way).
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm The Order of the Guardians - While everyone who knows Ravenloft is familiar with this lore already, I find this description is a little too plain. For a secret, multi-celled cult to have its history and purpose laid bare is counter to their entire mission. Maybe it is just a matter of flavor text, as I think the Fraternity of Shadows would be rather dismissive of these untrained yokels trying to keep a bunch of powerful magical items safe from evil-doers.
I guess it was a bit out of character, probably, but the article is for DMs not in character role playing.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm I like the run down of the other cells of the order, but think that should be put in a sidebar instead of the main text. Also, for someone who is usually so thorough when it comes to connecting the dots between canon events and expanding upon them appropriately (such as linking Radaga and the Crown of Souls to a new, unmentioned cell of the Guardians) you left out the domains of Bileplate, Theka, and Moridana from NMNB!
Well I haven't read the article on these islands thoroughly, I just had a quick view a few years before. I read about T'Laan and Verin in Dread Space by The Black Feather writers whichI liked.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm I had several private conversations with Daisu who did a write-up of these lands in QTR #22 and the interesting thing about them is that they are implied (based on the context) to have their own Order of the Guardians within them! Moridana (based on the Endless Quest novel Castle of the Undead) has the Blood Knife, Theka (based on the Spelljammer adventure Crystal Spheres) has the Ultimate Helm, and Bileplate... well, Bileplate is an blank slate. Surely in such a comprehensive survey of the Order of the Guardians they deserve a mention!
The Order of the Guardians are supposed to protect the lands from the evil of cursed and powerful artifacts they can't destroy. The Bloodknife is supposed to be able to kill the vampire lord of Moridana thee is no need to protect the populace. I am not sure if the Ultimate Helm is also considered an evil artifact just T'Laan needs it so he can fly his ship. I don't remember anyhing about Bileplate.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm The Monastery of the Lost Souls - This is pretty much the same info that can be found in NMNB, and it's just okay. I really wanted these guys to either die out completely or become more active in the domain's affairs. I mean, after the events of NMNB I figured Markov would take some revenge against these guys. And even if Markov didn't kill them, wouldn't being away from the Table of Life's aura cause them to disintegrate?
I don't believe they would disintegrate thy have become ancient dead.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm The Table of Life DPs – These are all adequate but none of them really grab me. Let's face it, this artifact was tailor-made for this domain, and any other uses it can be put to don't have the same gravitas.
Well you know of my belief that it is good for DM's to have many options to chose from.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Ruins of the Monastery of the Guardians / The Gathering Cloth – this section delves too much into the events of the novel, which I find unnecessary. I would cut most of this out and just stick to the relevant details (origin of the order, Morgoth's attack, the aftermath of the monastery's destruction) not every single plot point along the way.
That was a bummer I really had a problem with this section especially since I had read Tapestry of Souls more than two decades ago.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm DP: Leaves of Three, Let it Be – This is nothing more than glorified monster manual entry and I think it detracts from the island's “man vs. beast” theme. It's the animal kingdom, not the plant kingdom, that should be the true danger here. Again, not every spot on the island has to be a deathtrap. The same jungle that aids the Broken Ones hunt down their prey should also be able to safely conceal the PCs (provided they have enough wildnerness know-how).
I see the theme of the island being evolution rather than man against beast so on this context it fits the bill. Most jungles are deathtraps.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Sunset Bay – This is pretty standard stuff, but there are some nice touches here.
I ll have to check what I have written...
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Making Captain Gaertner a seawolf seems like overkill. We want people to be able to come and go from the island relatively freely, not have the entire place be a deadly, escape-proof prison. Where's the fun in that? The monthly tides make it difficult enough. I would choose one or the other.
Gaertner was first made into a seawolf, actually it was the first thing I wrote for this article. Why should people come and go freely? I believe Markovia of being an island that PCs struggle to survive or struggle to escape. If it weren't for the monthly tides it would have probably had been settled.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm The Great Stone Men – I applaud the author for restraining themselves and not adding any lethal elements (be it plant or animal) to the area surrouding these things. Per canon, this is one of the few spots on the island where even Broken Ones fear to tread. Let's keep it that way.
Well I did put a DP... :mrgreen:
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm DP: The Creepers – See “Leaves of Three” above. Do not pass go.
Again evolution.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm Huts of the Broken Ones – I am a little confused here. I thought the beastmen originally devolved due to the Table of Life breaking Markov's control over the domain and his darklord-granted powers. Is this effect ongoing? Or is that just a typo?
Typo...
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm The Quarry – This addition to the domain is a good way to get outsiders interested in the island and provides Markov an avenue to interact people and events outside of his regular sphere of influence. Once again, I don't see any need for Captain Gaertner to be involved here when Markov could just as easily do this on his own.
How ould Markov export all this silver? by sending aberrations to the Core to sell silver?
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm I would have preferred these to be diamond mines, however, to keep in line with the jungle theme. But, I guess silver is fine too – good to have around, but not too valuable to warrant a full scale invasion from Darkon or Lamordia.
I explained it is a recently discovered vain that was close to the Dorvinian Doldak Heights, world-building...
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm DP: Minute Wars – To be honest, I saw this one coming from a mile away. Still it's an interesting microcosm of the wider conflict that consumes the island so it's worth keeping.
It was I belive one of the latest additions, I thought of the jermlain of Koshka Bluffs in Nova Vaasa and the proximity to Tepest so...
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm The White Marsh - I like the addition of this area as well, but I have mixed feelings about the two plants mentioned here. Swordgrass is underwhelmining, but giant bladderword is great! It reminds me of a story (by Manly Wade Wellman I believe) that I read about a giant man-eating plant that was shaped like a crude hut to lure lost travelers. This puts all those other sections about plants to shame!
I have some new plats ready (also 3e stats for all and images too).
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm DP: Hiding Under the Table - Now this one I didn't see coming... and I absolutely love it! Everything makes sense and it all ties together neatly. The only thing that would make this better is if the monks from the Monastery of the Lost actually did die out and now no one knows the secret of the Table's final resting place. No one, that is, except the creepy old man (actually Father Milhouse in disguise) who dwells somewhere in the middle of the swamp and who always appears suddenly to warn any trespassers to stay away...
Gotcha!!!
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:33 pm
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 pm DP: Leaves of Three, Let it Be – This is nothing more than glorified monster manual entry and I think it detracts from the island's “man vs. beast” theme. It's the animal kingdom, not the plant kingdom, that should be the true danger here. Again, not every spot on the island has to be a deathtrap. The same jungle that aids the Broken Ones hunt down their prey should also be able to safely conceal the PCs (provided they have enough wildnerness know-how).
I see the theme of the island being evolution rather than man against beast so on this context it fits the bill. Most jungles are deathtraps.
That's where we will have to agreee to disagree. It seems pretty clear to me that it should be a battle between the higher nature of man and the primitive desires of the beast (it's even in the title of the adventure... Neither Man Nor Beast).

I think Heart of Darkness tracks better with what I mean. You have Kurtz going into a primitive jungle as a “civilizing” agent and in the end becoming just as barbaric (if not more) as the place he sought to tame. That, I believe, is the danger that this domain presents. It's not the jungle that did that, it's what is in Kurtz's heart.

This is also mirrored in Markov's hubris that he can “improve” upon nature with his experiments. In a world full of twisted half-men half-animal hybrids, the ugliness inside Markov is what makes him the most twisted of the lot.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm That's where we will have to agree to disagree.
I agree :mrgreen:
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm It seems pretty clear to me that it should be a battle between the higher nature of man and the primitive desires of the beast (it's even in the title of the adventure... Neither Man Nor Beast).
I take NMNB literally, that Markov's Broken Ones are neither of the two (but rather a combination), this could be extended to Markov himself too. I believe canon Arkandale and Verbrek is what better reflects what you propose, with the primitive (lycanthropic) side overpowering the "civilised" human side by having Verbrek take over the lands of Arkandale after the GC.

Following is the historical context of The Island of Doctor Moreau (1896) to which Markovia was based on.

At the time of the novel's publication in 1896, there was growing discussion in Europe of the possibility of the degeneration of the human race. Increasing opposition to animal vivisection led to formation of groups like the National Anti-Vivisection Society in 1875, and the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection in 1898. The Island of Dr. Moreau reflects the ethical, philosophical, and scientific concerns and controversies raised by these themes and the ideas of Darwinian evolution which were so disrupting to social norms in the late 1800s. In the introduction to the Atlantic Edition, H.G. Wells explained that the book was a reaction to the trial of Oscar Wilde and a covert condemnation of homophobia influenced by Swift.
From Wikipedia
[/quote]
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm I think Heart of Darkness tracks better with what I mean. You have Kurtz going into a primitive jungle as a “civilizing” agent and in the end becoming just as barbaric (if not more) as the place he sought to tame. That, I believe, is the danger that this domain presents. It's not the jungle that did that, it's what is in Kurtz's heart.
I haven't read it. But I didn't imply that the jungle is responsible for what happens in Markovia, but Markovia's transition from a temperate highland to a tropical jungle and the adaptation of its fauna and flora can't be ignored (there has to be a reason for the DP to do that, and since the domains mirror the darklord adaptation/evolution I believe is a theme for the domain. Also the various deadly fungus and plants that appeared (according to my article) and decimated the remaining settlements in my view was created by the shock of the domain as a whole faced by this transition. In NMNB it states that the settlements were depopulated by a plague (in the DMs notes as I remember) so it is not an excuse Markov uses but probably the reality of what happened, then Markov twists the facts to "explain" the existence of the beastmen and his malformed body. Anyway why would it be depopulated after the domains transition to the SoS when the villages inhabitants had survived for more than four decades?

The dangers of the jungle were inspired by Skull Island from King Kong after all Markov's favourite form is that of gorilla. Instead of prehistoric, massive beasts (except Terror Birds) and gigantic bugs and worms (creepy crawlers from Peter Jackson's King Kong), I decided to have deadly and large carnivorous plants .
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm This is also mirrored in Markov's hubris that he can “improve” upon nature with his experiments. In a world full of twisted half-men half-animal hybrids, the ugliness inside Markov is what makes him the most twisted of the lot.
"Improving nature" is forced evolution/adaptation.

Evolution is the change in heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations... Variation tends to exist within any given population as a result of genetic mutation and recombination. Genetic recombination is the exchange of genetic material between different organisms which leads to production of offspring with combinations of traits that differ from those found in either parent.

In genetics if the genetic changes are great enough, a new species arises, that is Homo fractiunus markoviana (Markovian Broken Ones). Markov playing god experiments change genetic material between species and combine traits that differ from those found in either test subjects, he operates forced evolution. So when his powers waned after the Beastman Rebellion the transformed beastmen begun to de-evolve into beasts again.

PS
I found this...https://youngjustice.fandom.com/wiki/Markovia
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Not to derail the thread, but I completely forgot about Young Justice having a place called Markovia until you brought it up, Meph. Man, I love that show!

Anyway, back to our Markovia, and its completely opposite mood and tone...
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

While we've yet to explore the Wildlands or the rest of the Verduous Lands cluster, it would be interesting to see the difference in attitudes and nature of Markovia and the Wildlands. Certainly the idea is that Markovia is a perverted sort of nature (clashing ecosystems, the broken-ones, the dread spores) where as the Wildlands are the truth that, even when not twisted, nature is still horrifying and dangerous as heck.

Also is kinda funnny to think of the similarities and differences in the intelligent animals and the Broken-Ones. As while the animals are more natural, I have an idea that they would almost be atheist in nature as opposed the superstitious broken-ones. Perhaps King-Crocodile in his own animal ways styles himself a god, and yet I see the intelligent animals being uber-objectivist. Maybe not scientific in thought, yet I like the idea that they do not believein gods, souls, or afterlives.

It also could be a way to seperate their societies from broken-ones by making the internal dynamics very complex. A court of intelligent owls could act like an actual court, bats could function as assassins and spies. Its just as social complex as human society, but certain premises would be different based on their surrondings and nature. Where as broken-ones simply mimic what they can remember from their old lives and from Markov
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Markovian Survey Review - Part 4

Markovian Broken One Template & Delphi / Skaeg / Gorg / Chaton / Capra / Vern / Ursula / Percy & Priscilla – This is a good mix of creatures for every stage of Broken One presented earlier. I particularly like the write-ups for Markov's henchmen.

Intact Brethren – Priest / Warrior / Seeker & Withered Brethren – Warrior / Seeker – I feel like there are too many sample NPCs in this section. One stat block for an Intact Brethern and one stat block for a Withered Brethren would do the trick just fine.

Soul Kraken – I don't like granting this creature the ability to control weather, given all its other powers. Also, I don't like making it the Darklord's “pet” either. I think their relationship should be symbiotic but independent of each other, if that makes any sense. Also also, am I missing something - what is the difference between its tentacles and its arms?

Feral Pig / Giant Raven – This set of unique animals split my opinion once again. I like the callback that the Feral Pig has to the Darklord's roots. I kinda see the Giant Raven doing the same thing, just not as well. Is this the source of the rumors of Rocs on the island? Is that the payoff here and I am too dense to see it? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Dr. Frantisek Markov– I like presenting 3 different versions of this guy; giving DMs more choices is always a good idea. Additonally, I would rather have him control the storms instead of the Soul Kraken. It's a powerful tool and it shouldn't be overused. Besides, it makes more sense to tie it into the Darklord's border closing special ability.

Akanga – This is a completely unique and unexpected origin story. I love everything about it: his rebellious nature, the link to a neighboring domain, and the fact that he is the only person to ever volunteer to go under Markov's knife. Well done!

Felix – Having one Broken One's origin linked to Ata-Bestaal was an interesting twist, but having two is, you guessed it... overkill. Add in Shih Suren and now you could potentially have 3 cat-men running around the island opposing each other. And while I admit that that's an amusing image, it's all a bit much and each character's presence makes the others less unique.

Father Milhouse – There's some good but a lot of bad in this entry. I like the retcon of giving the Crown of Souls its own Guardians cell. That makes sense, and having Radaga betray them is also very clever. But, what's with adding in the origin of the Brotherhood of the Broken Blades, and even the Beast of Ehrendton to Father Milhouse's history? What, is this guy Forrest Gump?

Captain Lennard Gaertner / Sextant of the Mists / Track of the Ferryman / Figurehead of Spiritual Expansion - I'm still not sold on the necessity of this guy, but if nothing else he makes for a good old-fashioned pirate encounter that can be tossed at PCs.

I do like the introduction of such powerful magic items; it's just a shame that they've found their way into the hands of someone so evil. You would think an Anchorite of Ezra would have put in some security measures to prevent such an event from happening, or at the very least the church would be actively trying to retrieve them.

Lina Emmerich – While I like this person very much, I don't think she necessarily deserves such an extensive write-up. Once again, we have an ancillary character whose story stretches credulity by being tied into so many canon people and events (The Brautslava Institute, Professor Pacali, etc). Besides that, I did enjoy reading about the machinations of the Syndicate of Enlightened Citizens because they are such pompous bastards and I see them as a good foil for the Fraternity of Shadows.

Jens Kreutznaer – Surprisingly, the guy that only got a couple mentions in the first portion of this survey is the one I like the most! Granted, I always thought the island needed a Robinson Crusoe figure.

The connection to Nova Vaasa, however, is a stretch... I think. It depends on if Alzina was sent away before or after the Great Upheaval, I guess. His biography and the DP wasn't clear on that (and I never was that good at math).

Why go so far afield to explain his descent into madness? He's marooned on an island, been isolated for years, and has had several encounters with monstrous humanoids. It seems pretty natural that he would fall into some sort of pyschosis under those circumstances. What would be neat is if while he is in the throes of his delirium he imagined a companion for himself (such as a pal Friday) whom he makes frequent references to in conversation but is never seen!
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:40 pm
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm I think Heart of Darkness tracks better with what I mean. You have Kurtz going into a primitive jungle as a “civilizing” agent and in the end becoming just as barbaric (if not more) as the place he sought to tame. That, I believe, is the danger that this domain presents. It's not the jungle that did that, it's what is in Kurtz's heart.
I haven't read it. But I didn't imply that the jungle is responsible for what happens in Markovia, but Markovia's transition from a temperate highland to a tropical jungle and the adaptation of its fauna and flora can't be ignored (there has to be a reason for the DP to do that, and since the domains mirror the darklord adaptation/evolution I believe is a theme for the domain. Also the various deadly fungus and plants that appeared (according to my article) and decimated the remaining settlements in my view was created by the shock of the domain as a whole faced by this transition. In NMNB it states that the settlements were depopulated by a plague (in the DMs notes as I remember) so it is not an excuse Markov uses but probably the reality of what happened, then Markov twists the facts to "explain" the existence of the beastmen and his malformed body. Anyway why would it be depopulated after the domains transition to the SoS when the villages inhabitants had survived for more than four decades?

The dangers of the jungle were inspired by Skull Island from King Kong after all Markov's favourite form is that of gorilla. Instead of prehistoric, massive beasts (except Terror Birds) and gigantic bugs and worms (creepy crawlers from Peter Jackson's King Kong), I decided to have deadly and large carnivorous plants .
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:15 pm This is also mirrored in Markov's hubris that he can “improve” upon nature with his experiments. In a world full of twisted half-men half-animal hybrids, the ugliness inside Markov is what makes him the most twisted of the lot.
"Improving nature" is forced evolution/adaptation.
But is he really improving upon nature? I would categorize what he is doing as de-evolution or even a mockery of the natural order. (Of the same kind, but different method, that Victor Mordenheim is perpetuating with his experiments into resuscitating the dead.) This is why his quest is doomed to failure. He is attempting raise beasts into men, but in the end all he accomplishes is bringing men down to their basest nature. He's going at it from the wrong direction!

BTW, after thinking about it, I have revised my thoughts on the “whys” of his experimentation. I said before that the pain he caused was a happy side effect, not the main reason, for his brutal surgeries. But looking back, even from the beginning he was clearly a sadist. It was only after being cursed with the form of an animal by the DPs did his goal become more than hurting others.
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:40 pm Evolution is the change in heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations... Variation tends to exist within any given population as a result of genetic mutation and recombination. Genetic recombination is the exchange of genetic material between different organisms which leads to production of offspring with combinations of traits that differ from those found in either parent.

In genetics if the genetic changes are great enough, a new species arises, that is Homo fractiunus markoviana (Markovian Broken Ones). Markov playing god experiments change genetic material between species and combine traits that differ from those found in either test subjects, he operates forced evolution. So when his powers waned after the Beastman Rebellion the transformed beastmen begun to de-evolve into beasts again.
I think this is a case of “yes and” instead of an “either or”.

The domain's theme doesn't have to be just “evoluton gone wrong” or “civilization vs. savagery”; it can be both! I referenced the idea of “survival of the fittest” in several of my notes, which is the key tenet of Darwin's evolutionary theory, so we are somewhat in agreement there already.

Like I said in my introduction – you've nailed The Island of Dr. Moreau aesthetic. I just don't want people to think of Markovia solely as an island full of freaky beastmen. I mean, the whole point of doing these domain updates is making each land and its darklord more well-rounded and believable as a real place instead of the one-trick pony most were portrayed as in 2e.