The Markovian Survey

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Markovian Survey

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm I particularly like the write-ups for Markov's henchmen.
Markov's henchmen were based on Rotipher's ideas except Vern (I kept the name but turned him to a dog instead of a monitor lizard BrOne) but the descriptions are mostly mine.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Intact Brethren – Priest / Warrior / Seeker & Withered Brethren – Warrior / Seeker – I feel like there are too many sample NPCs in this section. One stat block for an Intact Brethern and one stat block for a Withered Brethren would do the trick just fine.
Just noticed that the Withered Brethren (Warrior) are stated to be 4th lvl while they are 5th. Well I thought of doing all the "dirty work" of creating stats for all of them, since it takes too much time to create NPC stats in 3e.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Soul Kraken – I don't like granting this creature the ability to control weather, given all its other powers. Also, I don't like making it the Darklord's “pet” either. I think their relationship should be symbiotic but independent of each other, if that makes any sense. Also also, am I missing something - what is the difference between its tentacles and its arms?
Well in NMNB it appears during a storm and it seems more menacing for it to be able to control weather, makes it more probable to sink a ship too.

It is not actually his pet he does not command it...
Darklord’s Pet (Ex): Whenever Frabtisek Markov closes the borders of his domain the Soul Kraken becomes alert, it defies even the harmful rays of the sun seeking and attacking any ship that tries to cross Markovia’s borders.
I thought since it exists there it is better than the megalodon sharks proposed in 2e Domains of Dread.

Eight of the beast’s tentacles are shorter arms about 30 feet long; the remaining two are nearly sixty feet long and covered with barbs.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Feral Pig / Giant Raven – This set of unique animals split my opinion once again. I like the callback that the Feral Pig has to the Darklord's roots. I kinda see the Giant Raven doing the same thing, just not as well. Is this the source of the rumors of Rocs on the island? Is that the payoff here and I am too dense to see it? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
No these are actually the wereravens some turned to giant ravens.
Were is the rumour of a Roc from?
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Dr. Frantisek Markov– I like presenting 3 different versions of this guy; giving DMs more choices is always a good idea. Additonally, I would rather have him control the storms instead of the Soul Kraken. It's a powerful tool and it shouldn't be overused. Besides, it makes more sense to tie it into the Darklord's border closing special ability.
"Since the transition of Markovia into an island in the Sea of Sorrows, the sea rises and tumble in violent bursts against the shores, and sharks team in the waters, seeking the objects of Markov’s wrath. Strangely the rise of the sea enables ships from Sunset Bay to leave the lagoon even without the tides. It is possible to enter and leave Markovia through the Mists, but they usually do not rise if Markov doesn’t want them to. The Soul Kraken remains dormant during this time as some sharks are so large they are threatening to the sea monster."

Hmm... I thought this meant calling a storm in other words, I just noticed that I have cancelled the Kraken's Darklord's Pet ability by writing this (which came later)... So is it Megalodon or Soul Kraken? For now I am inclined to have Markov closing the borders with a storm and the Soul Kraken being dormant because of the sharks (sharks are canon after all). The Soul Kraken can't use it's control weather ability while Markov keeps the borders closed.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Akanga – This is a completely unique and unexpected origin story. I love everything about it: his rebellious nature, the link to a neighboring domain, and the fact that he is the only person to ever volunteer to go under Markov's knife. Well done!
Thanks that was an epiphany... Since I always wanted to write something about the Ata-Bestaal it seemed appropriate.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Felix – Having one Broken One's origin linked to Ata-Bestaal was an interesting twist, but having two is, you guessed it... overkill. Add in Shih Suren and now you could potentially have 3 cat-men running around the island opposing each other. And while I admit that that's an amusing image, it's all a bit much and each character's presence makes the others less unique.
Yes I know I overdid it with Felix. I am not really satisfied with his backstory either and I find it also too superficial and badly written (although it was the reason for discovering shrieking hags while researching for info to use in his background (time for some Children of the Night: Hags topic...). I based it on an idea by Rotipher to have Felix being a human turned into a snow leopard and then to Greater Broken One by Markov (something like a reversed Von Kharkov NPC) since snow leopards exist in G'Henna I thought of making him originate from there too, but making him Ata-Bestaal too was too much. Any ideas to fix his background are welcomed, but I believe that Rotipher's idea (human-turned-animal-then-beastman) should be kept. Maybe bumping to the shrieking hag of G'Henna by accident and turned into a snow leopard is enough.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Father Milhouse – There's some good but a lot of bad in this entry. I like the retcon of giving the Crown of Souls its own Guardians cell. That makes sense, and having Radaga betray them is also very clever. But, what's with adding in the origin of the Brotherhood of the Broken Blades, and even the Beast of Ehrendton to Father Milhouse's history? What, is this guy Forrest Gump?
Well you have to have an origin for the Broken Blades and I felt that having them be former Guardian's turned extremists was a good idea. As for the Beast of Ehrendton well he just met Armand Ironhand not the Cornugon itself its not a big deal and there has to be an explanation how the Guardian cells are funded (at least in their beginning).
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Captain Lennard Gaertner / Sextant of the Mists / Track of the Ferryman / Figurehead of Spiritual Expansion - I'm still not sold on the necessity of this guy, but if nothing else he makes for a good old-fashioned pirate encounter that can be tossed at PCs.
Well before Markov was a recluse isolated from the world except for scavenging ships and dissecting castaways. With Gaertner he becomes more like a colonialist, even if it is his island (he needed some change after the events of NMNB) and Gaertner becomes his connection to the rest of the world. What was he supposed to do send broken ones across the sea? First they have no idea about navigation and secondly they would mostly be viewed as monsters. Also because of the Grand Conjunction "destruction of the world" myth if any broken one comes back and tells what exist beyond the sea there is a good chance for another rebellion.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm I do like the introduction of such powerful magic items; it's just a shame that they've found their way into the hands of someone so evil. You would think an Anchorite of Ezra would have put in some security measures to prevent such an event from happening, or at the very least the church would be actively trying to retrieve them.
Well evil guys need powerful tools too.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Lina Emmerich – While I like this person very much, I don't think she necessarily deserves such an extensive write-up. Once again, we have an ancillary character whose story stretches credulity by being tied into so many canon people and events (The Brautslava Institute, Professor Pacali, etc). Besides that, I did enjoy reading about the machinations of the Syndicate of Enlightened Citizens because they are such pompous bastards and I see them as a good foil for the Fraternity of Shadows.
Professor Pacali taught in Brautslava Institute it is not such a great thing.
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Jens Kreutznaer – Surprisingly, the guy that only got a couple mentions in the first portion of this survey is the one I like the most! Granted, I always thought the island needed a Robinson Crusoe figure.
His surname is an "Easter Egg"
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm The connection to Nova Vaasa, however, is a stretch... I think.
Is it?
Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm Why go so far afield to explain his descent into madness? He's marooned on an island, been isolated for years, and has had several encounters with monstrous humanoids. It seems pretty natural that he would fall into some sort of pyschosis under those circumstances. What would be neat is if while he is in the throes of his delirium he imagined a companion for himself (such as a pal Friday) whom he makes frequent references to in conversation but is never seen!
I had him at first having been saved by a broken one of horse stock which used to be his horse. After the Beastman Rebellion the beastman turned into a horse once more and Jens talks to it (and people believe he is crazy). Then I decided to make him exactly as Crusoe. It could be that my first idea was better after all...
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am Approaching the Island - I love the vivid account of the Soul Kraken and its physiology, but I think its role as a “gatekeeper” that patrols the water surrounding the island should be re-evaluated. Every ship that approaches should not automatically be wrecked by this behemoth, and methods of evading it should be more easily available (for those cunning and skillful enough to pull them off).
There is a way to escape it... arriving in Markovia during the day,
VIEW CONTENT:
but docking the ship anywhere except a particular bay would make the vessel used to travel there a pile of driftwood.
There has to be a reason why it is difficult to colonise the island.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am DP: The Kraken's Hoard – Sunken treasure? Sign me up! I think this idea should be expanded upon.
Since there are not many dragons, I decided to have this instead :)
Well a DM could link any treasure hunt adventure to Markovia I guess.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am DP: The Dreaming Captain – I don't understand this set up. Am I supposed to recognize Captain Orvin Vossler? Is this supposed to be an account of the first sighting of Markovia? Things seem a little garbled in this section. How did the Nightmare Lands and the Call of the Claw mistway get involved here? The idea of a ghost ship that serves as a mistway to the Nightmare Lands is great, but I think its backstory needs to be streamlined a bit.
Well since this is supposed to be part of the SoS Gazetteer I created this mistway to the Nightmare Lands. You may be confused as this is an in character (avatar) description based on the narrator's (Cedrik Paddock's) background.

According to Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer (p. 132) the Call of the Claw was a two-way mistway connectiong Nebligtode and the Sea of Sorrows. It seems to have been severed in the wake of the Great Upheaval, as Markovia now sits where its original entrance once lay. Rumours have since circulated of ships that ride out a terrible storm in one Core's sea's, only to find themselves adrift in the other, but it is unclear if these are reports of real events, or mere wishful thinking by merchant-seamen who would profit greatly by such a “short cut” across the continent.

The Call of the Claw (defunct?): Northwest Sea of Sorrows – Southwest Nebligtode (moderate reliability, two-way, conditional [storms only])

In the Nightmare Lands boxed set had the sea surrounding the NL island as Nocturnal Sea.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am Landscape - I like how the pre-conjunction geography is mentioned but had a hard time visualizing this.
Imagine my headache in making it work... :cry:

A more side by side comparison (this used to be [old name] now it is known as [new name] or this used to be a low-lying grassy plain but now it is a high-altitude rocky plateau) would help the reader track the geologically changes better. [/quote]I thought I did that...
e.g.
The lower eastern foothills of Mount Gries a once thriving source of silver in centuries past for Dorvinia ended in west of Markovia while the central part of the domain was dominated by Mount Dumnezeu extending to the west streaching to reach Mount Pios in the northwest, bordering G’Henna, now reduced into a massive sand dune.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am This would also be the perfect place to outline all the different beaches or inlets where ships can be docked. I was hoping for a breakdown of beaches similar to how the forest of Verbrek was broken up into different areas with individual descriptions in Gazetteer IV.
Well there are not many places where ships can be docked, MArkovia is not very welcoming.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am Climate – This section should be expanded upon to present more of a rainforest-type vibe with showers happening frequently but temperatures rarely fluctuating. Describe the cooling island breezes and early morning mists that float above the treetops, stuff like that. The weather in the Hawaiin islands would be a good guide for this.
Well everyone who knows what a monsoon understands how Markovia's climate is. I wasn't so descriptive maybe in the final version I will add something.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am Flora – I think the use of latin names is overdone here.
Well Paddock is a druid and a scientist so I thought it was good for an in character description of the organisms living in the island.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am I will say, however, that the descriptions of the interiors of the island match more what I had in mind for the beaches above. Dead Tree Forest is a little too on the nose, tho'. Just because you translate something into French doesn't make it better. I'd prefer something like the Fallen Forest – short but to the point.
Well maybe Paddock is not so imaginative :)
This is how (Forêt d’Arbres Morts) they named it, it doesn't mean that anyone else calls it like that, it is not official.
Well Forêt Tombée (Fallen Forest) doesn't sound so good in French...
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am This trial by ordeal with the Sea Mango sounded familiar to me, and after a quick online search I found out about the Calabar beans that are simularly used by African tribes to prove guilty or innocent. Very well done, although I might have placed this under the Attitudes Towards Magic section where I think it fits better.
It was easier to describe it in the flora section.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am Zygomycota zygom sounds nasty, but I don't see the point of it. Now, I'm not saying that every herb or flower highlighted HAS to reflect the theme of the domain it is found in, but yeah, on second thought... I AM saying that the flora and fauna of the land should reflect its Darklord or the country used as its source material. Besides, I thought the rumors of a plague that desolated the inhabitants were just a cover story for Markov's depradations. Remember, not every mention of a plague (or slavery rings) has to be taken literally!
I just checked the description from NMNB for the inhabitants and it states that

Most of the human population of Markovia has died off, both from the raids of the Broken Ones, who rule the wilderness, and from the experiments of Dr. Frantisek Markov.

This is true, but I decided to have the remaining population dying out by various "plagues" as mentioned by Dr. Fran. My view is that the transition of Markovia to the Sea of Sorrows shocked the domain (as did Frantisek) and this was mirrored by the appearance of various parasitic dangerous plants and fungi that killed the remaining population. So Markovia was depleted of the raw materials the good doctor needed for his experiments and created the persona of Dr. Fran to lure unsuspecting castaways to his operating table. While he lies about being a victim of a strange plague his lie is based on a truth, which makes sense.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am I don't see the point of the Dolor Thistle. The Diospirum Fruit already paralizes its victims and Markov doesn't need any help causing more pain to his subjects artificially.

This is the domain of Diosamblet so this plant mirrors the Darklord's ability to cause pain. Diospirum Fruit paralyses the victim leaving it exposed to the Doctor's sadistic whims.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am Tho', I suppose you could cast this as his beastmen trying create something that would neutralize the serum that he uses on them only to wind up with a concoction that causes even more pain instead.

That's not what I had in mind. :roll:
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am Besides, Markov's experiments where never about causing pain; that's just a happy side effect. He's more interested in the twisted results of his depradations and just doesn't care about the pain he causes.

No they are not but he is the Master of Pain.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am Honestly, it makes more sense to have a bush or herb that serves as an antidote to the doctor's pain-causing techniques instead of something that merely serves to enhance his sadistic tendencies.
Why? This is his island so pain must be felt at its fullest.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am In fact, Markov could subtly advertise that his island holds the secret to remedies for any number of rare illnesses and poisons – much like how scientists are mining the plants of our rainforests for new medicinal uses today.
And here is my question. How would he advertise that without the help of Captain Lennard?
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am I like the Sea Mango a lot. It mirrors the themes of the land very well – it looks good on the surface (like a tropical island paradise) but when examined more closely it turns dangerous (like discovering the mad doctor and his atrocious experiments that roam the land).
Well it actually exists...
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am So, in short, cut Dolor Thistle, keep Diospirum Fruit and the Sea Mango.
I think I am keeping all three of them for their own purposes.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:42 am DP – Althea's Sorrow / The Tree of Life

I really like the Tree of Life concept and the way its use is woven into the domain's mythology. This is exactly what I was looking for above. Althea's Sorrow, while intriguing, doesn't really grab me the same way. I would cut it or else move it to Demise where it belongs.
For some reason a copy pasted magical item description has been left by accident, this was supposed to describe Althea's Sorrow Elixir. Well we already have the stone men facing Demise so I thought of making a connection with Althea. This is the antidote you mentioned before. Yes I like the Tree of Life concept.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Fauna - I like the digression about the salmon and their spawning ground. It's a good illustration of the survival of the fittest and how “nature always finds a way”. Both good themes to highlight in this domain.
Thanks
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm I also like the addition of all the escaped barnyard animals such as pigs, goats, dogs, and horses; it reminds me how roosters still roam all over the Hawaiian islands centuries after being introduced to the area. I'm tempted ask for a magical invasive species to be introduced here, but the tentacle rats that are mentioned don't seem like a good fit. I'll be darned if I can think of anything better myself at the moment...
I don't like the tentacle rats but they are canon and so felt I had to include them.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm The tropical birds species are also a good addition. It would be interesting to note that while they migrated from other faraway lands (such as the Steaming Lands cluster) they never seem to make the leap to the Core domains. Not that there's a sinister reason for that - they just like where they are at - but it could add an extra air of mystery to the domain.
I guess its the climate...
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Speaking of birds, what is the deal with that giant flightless species? Is there a reference I'm missing?
Terror Birds
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/astro ... 0809213343
https://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/block/Terror_Bird
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm DP: When Black Feathers Brood – This is a really interesting idea and fits much better (both historically and thematically) than in Dominia.
I believe so, I never understood how the Dominian Ravenkin ended up there.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm DP: The Swine Queen – Bringing back Ludmilla's ghost is a really great idea, but it seems like a waste to only use her in this way. I would rather see her show up to really twist the knife in Markov's heart. Have her be sort of a reverse Tatiana where every pig he operates on begins to morph into her likeness and she confronts him with his many sins.
Well I don't think Markov is capable of feeling remorse and he already morphs himself...
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm History - I'm not gonna lie, this section is a mess.
Well most of it follows events from canon, if you mean grammar mistakes it is because this article was never proofread.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm There's way too much of the darklord's personal history that not everyone should be privy to and not enough focus on the land itself. I'm not asking for a full fledged False History (tho' that would be nice) but I feel like other events should be touched upon here.
There can't be any false history as the inhabitants are beastmen, the only false history falls under religion and the creation myth. But there is the false assumption that Markovia is named after Saint Markovia, this is something isn't it?
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Whatever happened to the Border War with Falkovnia? Where there any native people in the domain when it appeared? What about scholarly speculation about what happened to the domain after the the land and its people disappeared? Enquiring minds want to know.
Border War with Falkovnia? Is it mentioned anywhere or are you speculating based on the domains borders before Dorvinia appeared? In my view the domain's western borders before the appearance of Dorvinia were covered by the Mists. Clearly there were no native people before just settlers. No scholarly speculation bout the disappearance of Markovia is mentioned as the article is written by a member of the Fraternity of Shadows.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Also (and this may be a personal quibble) I don't think this new island that suddenly appeared to the north in the Sea of Sorrows should have immediately become known as Markovia; I would save that revelation until after the events outlined in NMNB and use the survivors of the adventure to get the word out.
It wasn't known as Markovia directly after it's appearance. Domains of Dread mentioned that some maps label it Markovia but most people don't associate it with the land that disappeared from the middle of the Balinoks. But again this is a report by members of the Fraternity of Shadows.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Markov's Journals – This makes for a better place to relay Markov's personal history.
This is an in-game tool.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm The Beastmen - I love this section! The differing degrees of transformation for all the beastmen give DMs plenty of options to treat them as individuals and not one monolithic group.
Rotipher's idea and the rest was canon.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Deer Stock – I was really hoping for a Greater Broken One that would go against type here: a raging buck with an massive array of antlers sorta like how the Pope Lick Monster is portrayed.
Greater Broken Ones are rare and not monstrous but rather more humanlike except Akanga.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Bat Stock – I feel like these guys should be more reclusive and only found in out of the way caves.
I followed canon info.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Hawk Stock – I think this group would be a good foils for Akanga's gang. They could be portrayed as more noble and civilised than the rest of the Broken Ones but their avian supremacy mindset would turn everyone off.
Canon states otherwise.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Monkey Stock – These guys, on the other hand, should be presented as more carefree and happy to hang out in the treetops while the other Broken Ones fight amongst themselves below.
Simians actually are aggressive animals not carefree, for all animal stocks I made extensive research on behaviour before writing them.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm you Pig Stock – These guys should be perfect footsoldiers and could be dang scary if portrayed just right.
And pig faced orc miniatures can be used for them.

Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Bear / Fox Stock – These two should be much rarer than the more tropical aligned stock. Portraying them as tragic loners who are trying their best to survive in a land where they don't belong would add a layer of pathos that would help underline the domains theme that you either adapt or die.
Some may have been killed in the rebellion.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Attitudes Towards Magic – I love the shamanistic touches here. It would be interesting to see the Broken Ones' reactions if they ever encountered real magic.
Chaton
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Religion – This is a mish-mash of god kings, primitive religious beliefs, and bastardized cults. And I like it! I think a lot more could be done with this, however.
I believe that if I had written more then you would complain of me writing too much in this section :mrgreen:
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Another approach to the religious angle could be to present this place as a twisted Garden of Eden.
Tree of Life?
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Do they think every human they see has the same powers as Markov? Or do they attack any human they may encounter using them as a stand-in for what they would like to do to their maker but are too afraid to admit?
No Markov "is" a god.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm In short, I think this section should be re-evaluated and expanded upon.
Be careful what you wish for... :azalin:
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Creation Myth – This is like a child's eye view of the domain's many upheavals. Well done!
Thanks!
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm The Realm – I'm not sure why this section is separate from the Government one below. They both seem to say the same thing.
I forgot Diosamblet Laws...
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm The Farm / The Pack / The Vermin / Akanga's Army – I like all of these independent factions and think they are great random encounters to throw at PCs.
Thank Rotipher for these :)
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm DP: Akanga the Modern Prometheus – This is a little too derivative and a stretch for me.
Well Akanga likes playing with fire and since Prometheus supposedly gave humankind the gift of fire I thought it was appropriate.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm DP: The Surf Dancers / The Avatar's Companion / The Mummaid - These are all great ideas, but should be actual canon instead of DPs.
Not all people like them, better to have them as DP.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm DP: The Quiet Way – I like the scenario this sets up. I love the visual of a humble monastery of beastment learning to calm their inner rage. This could potentially be the one true point of civilization on an entire island filled by anarchy. The fact that it is being lead by a tiger-head paladin that looks like every other Broken One but whose inner nature is trully good is delicious in its irony!
I am not a fan of Shih Suren but I believed some people would like Rotipher's idea and just included it.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Markov's Lackeys – These replacement henchmen for Markov are all very competent.
Ha!
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Government - I think this is a hard section to get across because it seems like Markov isn't interested in ruling, per se, so there is no government to speak of. The “law of the jungle” or “dog eat dog” actually rules here. Markov is just the apex predator in an island teeming with them and is barely interested in keeping the whole thing running. This place is a powder keg waiting to blow (at worse) or a anarchist's paradise (at best).
Well there are factions and those following Markov still obey his laws.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm I think Diosamblet's gatherings should be given a little more attention her rather than a flat recitation. I think that was quite possibly the creepiest scene in NMNB and should be highlighted as such when talking about this place. I've invoked the image of “the crown jewel of horror” before when reviewing Blaustein and I think this is a similar situation – this is the spot where the real horror of the domain shines brightest.
True
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Economy - This is one the few places where an actual slave trade would be real and warranted as Markov can't very well go out and procure his own subjects.
Sleve trade is possible everywhere as in the real world, be it trafficking of sex slaves, work slaves etc.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Diplomacy - I just don't think Captain Gaerner is needed here, nor his monopoly on the trade between Markovia and the mainland. Markov is more than capable of keeping anyone he doesn't want off the island, or at least discouraging return visits.
Ι believe you missed the point in this one...
Markov wants to communicate.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm After a few disastrous attempts, I think most people will get the hint and assume that there's nothing there that's worth all the trouble.
Well there is silver...
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:50 pm Plus, this forces him to take a more active approach to things if he wants to retain his power. Not only does he have to fend off Akanga's usurpations but also every band of would-be settlers that show up at his front door). That's always a plus when updating darklords from their more static 2nd Edition origins.
I am confused...
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

As a tangentially-Markovia-related aside, I just finished reading The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. Blasted through it in two days, in fact, which I don't often do anymore. It's not a Ravenloft book, either in branding or in tone, but nonetheless I thought others in this community might enjoy it as well.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

It might have mentioned it in the article but if it did I didn't see it, but can Broken-Ones breed? Cause if so that creates the more interesting angle of the fact that these are not just science experiments but an truely a new race, and thus even further out of Markov's ability to control. You could have families of them escaping, as well as difference in dynamic between those born and those made, who know for sure that Markov twisted them.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

KingCorn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:17 pm It might have mentioned it in the article but if it did I didn't see it, but can Broken-Ones breed? Cause if so that creates the more interesting angle of the fact that these are not just science experiments but an truely a new race, and thus even further out of Markov's ability to control. You could have families of them escaping, as well as difference in dynamic between those born and those made, who know for sure that Markov twisted them.
Maybe it wasn't mentioned in the article but in Neither Man nor Beast or Realm of Terror instead, but I'm pretty sure Broken Ones are sterile, whether by 'happy coincidence' (the Dark Powers) or by design from Markov's end. Or just simple biology saying that 2 misshapen hybrids of mad science couldn't have a child that wouldn't result in a stillbirth or die very soon upon taking their first breaths.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Speedwagon wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:35 pm
KingCorn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:17 pm It might have mentioned it in the article but if it did I didn't see it, but can Broken-Ones breed? Cause if so that creates the more interesting angle of the fact that these are not just science experiments but an truely a new race, and thus even further out of Markov's ability to control. You could have families of them escaping, as well as difference in dynamic between those born and those made, who know for sure that Markov twisted them.
Maybe it wasn't mentioned in the article but in Neither Man nor Beast or Realm of Terror instead, but I'm pretty sure Broken Ones are sterile, whether by 'happy coincidence' (the Dark Powers) or by design from Markov's end. Or just simple biology saying that 2 misshapen hybrids of mad science couldn't have a child that wouldn't result in a stillbirth or die very soon upon taking their first breaths.
Funny to ask about this, since the day before I was thinking I forgot to include a Jurassic Park kind of DP mentioning this issue. I was thinking of calling it "Firstborn".

Dread Possibility: Firstborn
A couple of broken ones belonging to a specific tribe maybe pacisfist deer stock give birth to a small deer-thing. News of this miracle child spread fast and Akanga seeing this as both a chance to gather the beastmen once more around him to form a second rebellion but also fearful that this child may in the future challenge his rule wants to "adopt" the child and use this connection for his own means or raise it as be able to control it. News of this firstborn have also reached Markov's ears and want's to capture it and study it.

What do you think?

PS
To answer your question KingCorn no I haven't adressed this issue, although I should have but I am on the same page as Speedwagon on this one.

KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:42 am
Speedwagon wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:35 pm Maybe it wasn't mentioned in the article but in Neither Man nor Beast or Realm of Terror instead, but I'm pretty sure Broken Ones are sterile, whether by 'happy coincidence' (the Dark Powers) or by design from Markov's end. Or just simple biology saying that 2 misshapen hybrids of mad science couldn't have a child that wouldn't result in a stillbirth or die very soon upon taking their first breaths.
Funny to ask about this, since the day before I was thinking I forgot to include a Jurassic Park kind of DP mentioning this issue. I was thinking of calling it "Firstborn".

Dread Possibility: Firstborn
A couple of broken ones belonging to a specific tribe maybe pacisfist deer stock give birth to a small deer-thing. News of this miracle child spread fast and Akanga seeing this as both a chance to gather the beastmen once more around him to form a second rebellion but also fearful that this child may in the future challenge his rule wants to "adopt" the child and use this connection for his own means or raise it as be able to control it. News of this firstborn have also reached Markov's ears and want's to capture it and study it.

What do you think?

PS
To answer your question KingCorn no I haven't adressed this issue, although I should have but I am on the same page as Speedwagon on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy-6I8f89K4
Yeah, that does seem better. Having it be the one as a plot-hook does make their circumstance all together more tragic. They have this slim hope of escaping Markov and making some peace with their animal forms via having a future. But only a slim hope
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:42 am Dread Possibility: Firstborn
I also like this possibility. Being in the camp that leans into biology unless magic interferes with it, I would consider whether this miracle child is simply... just a fawn. How would its parents react to that? Or Akanga? Especially if Akanga intends to use the child as a symbol, he might feel he needs the child to become a broken one.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Speedwagon wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:35 pm

This brings up a question I had as well. Can Broken Ones even survive outside of this domain? After all, when Markov's control over the land was disrupted at the end of NMNB that is when they first started to devolve. Shouldn't the same thing happen if they leave the island?
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

In the Mistworld the change is permanent and they are true beings so, yes, they totally can.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Markovian Survey Review - Additional Thoughts

Okay, now it's my turn to take the hot seat and offer my own suggestion of things I would like to see added to the survey. Some of these ideas advance the plot significantly, some are opportunities I think have been missed, and others are more in the style of adventure hooks. This was a tough one because this domain and Darklord has been handled very well overall. Enjoy!

The Pool of Change – While we're on the subject of animals and evolution, I can't help but want to introduce a magical pool somewhere on the island that accelerates the Broken Ones' evolution (perhaps advancing them one step up their devolpment ladder) Or else, have an island-wide effect similar to Lamordia's Smothering of Reason that effects all the animals on it increasing the chances of mutation between generations. This could be something as simple as two ordinary bears giving birth to a dire or giant version of their progenitors or more akin to what Markov is doing and insert unnatural human features into common beasts.

The Great Barrier Reef – I've lobbied for this to be placed somewhere in the Sea of Sorrow for a while now and this is just as good a place as any. Going against expectations, this could be inhabited by all sorts of friendly and beneficial sea creatures (sea horses, manta rays, etc).

Dark Guardians – Turn the Brethen truly evil and then turn them loose onto the Core. They can attack the other Guardian cells since they are privy to all their other locations. This development could also serve as a warning to the Guardians as a whole to take a more active role in destroying their respective magical items before they too are corrupted by them.

The Order of the Guardians – Speaking of the Guardians, why not explore the reason behind Markovia having not one but two outposts? Is there something special about this land that draws them to it (besides the Calling, that is). Perhaps another, new cells wants to start up a remote retreat here. After going thru all that exposition about the Gathering Cloth, maybe it could make it's return in a DP?

Unique Fauna – Instead of augmenting the old standbys, why not add something a little more exotic to the mix such as lemurs? I imagine it would be a little freaky to encounter one of these little buggers the first time! Their sudden appearance could be tied back to the Pool of Change above.

The Moon Pool – Taken straight from the 1918 novel of the same name written by Abraham Merritt. This could be a secret Mistway that operates only during a full moon and can link the island to any other realm that has underground communities such as Bluetspur or Timor. Maybe both domains, depending on the phases of the moon (one destination for the full moon, another destination for the new moon).

Infiltrators – It might be worth exploring what the relationship between Broken Ones with werebeasts of the same phenotype would look like. What if a werebear or wereboar appears on the island and starts organizing and recruiting an army of their own kind? Would that disrupt the delicate balance of power between Markov and Akanga? Or would a zealot (such as Mother Fury or Alfred Timothy) hear of such half-man half-beast abominations and want to exterminate them for being impure?

Flotsam and Jetsam – This is another pet idea of mine: creating a Gulf Stream type of mechanism for the Sea of Sorrows that subtly pulls ships and other things along its path circling the entire body of water. Tying this concept into Markovia would be as easy as having a beach where whatever you happen to need the most at the time of your visit shows up (within reason of course). It could be called Serendipity Point and could be where all the flotsam and jetsam caused by Markov's storms is collected.

Felix Returns – This could be an interesting evolution for Felix if you wanted to keep him around. His experiences during the Beastman Rebellion have shaken a few screws loose and he has adopted a Robin Hood / Puss in Boots type of persona. Now he attacks both camps without rhyme or reason, stealing just for the thrill of it.

The Boritsi Trading Company – This nefarious organization could be a stand-in for the East India Company and make the Darklord an offer he can't refuse. Markov could let them establish a fort, erect docks, and build whatever else is needed to create a small outpost to faciliate trade with the more distant Clusters; the only thing he asks in return is a steady supply of test subjects and the lastest medical research journals from the universities of the Core...

Dangerous Tidepools – I would love to see a pit of quicksand or a sucking sandtrap or two. This would be a nice way to illustrate nature's impersonal savagery; not even the beaches are safe!

The Bride of Markov – What would happen if a Swiss Family Robinson situation arises where an entire family is marooned on the island and Markov takes a liking to the mother? He allows a small compound to be made by them so he can watch her from the jungle. Eventually, he loses his patience and leads a beastman attack on their palisade and kidnaps her. I'll leave the rest to your imagination...

Carrier Pigeons – Markov has taken taken up a new hobby... keeping pigeons! He has trained these birds to carry messages to and from the outside world. This way he can keep up-to-date with the Core's prominent doctors and scientists despite his isolation. Perhaps he's been a longtime penpal of Dr. Dominiani and they trade interesting theories with each other...

Leper / Penal Colony – Imagine the chaos that would ensue if either Darkon or Lamordia started shipping off their “undesirables” to this island! This references practices used during both Australian and American colonial times and can be a great wildcard to throw into the mix!
Last edited by Jeremy16 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Looking at these Dread Possibilities, while they're all really cool, I feel like some of them could be really better used for the Wildlands or Sri Raji. Specifically, the Pool of Change (though that's a good fit for Markovia too), Unique Fauna, Moon Pool (though the Steaming Lands Cluster has no moon in general so idk about that), Flotsam and Jetsam (maybe the flotsam and jetsam comes from Saragoss due to the Leviathan's Clutches mistway?), and The Boritsi Trading Company (this feels far more appropriate to Sri Raji than anywhere else and you and I both know why lol). Every other Dread Possibility I think really fits Markovia to a T, I just wanted to single out those particular few.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Speedwagon wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:38 pm The Boritsi Trading Company (this feels far more appropriate to Sri Raji than anywhere else and you and I both know why lol). Every other Dread Possibility I think really fits Markovia to a T, I just wanted to single out those particular few.
I always thought the Boritsi Trading Company was more limited to the core and possibly Pharazia, while Caryle Company was the British East India Company analogue.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Boritsy company has an advantage, thought, a long time friendship with Ezra's Church. You know, to make businnes around the mistland is easier when you have a partner who can reasonably safety navigate you throught the Mist.