Castle Ravenloft-esque Dungeon Crawl Locations

Discussing all things Ravenloft
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Castle Ravenloft-esque Dungeon Crawl Locations

Post by KingCorn »

Castle Ravenloft is THE example of a dungeon crawl in the land of mists, and similar canidates for such a crawl in another land have been mentioned before: Castle Avernus, the Black Vault, Gryphon Hill. And we've seen fan attempts, with my personal favorite being Castle Falkenstein (still my third favorite QtR article)

What other places would be good for a large dungeon crawl, and how could they be filled out? What traps might you put in Draccipetri? Or in Schloss Mordenheim?
Joël of the FoS

Re: Castle Ravenloft-esque Dungeon Crawl Locations

Post by Joël of the FoS »

IMG, the PCs will soon explore a pyramid (from the excellent Pathfinder's Pact Stone Pyramid and Entombed with the Pharaohs) and the Tomb of Ankhtepot. Plenty of dungeon crawl there, with monsters and traps.

I don't see Schloss Mordenheim as being a place heavily set with traps.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:01 pm I don't see Schloss Mordenheim as being a place heavily set with traps.
Only trap doors... There is a map of it in Adam's Wrath.

As for dungeon crawl I always liked Radaga's Caverns from Feast of Goblyn's atmospheric although it was a bit high fantasy as well as a skeleton overkill, if the PC's did something, which in my case they did. We spend a full session having them fighting 180 skeletons, fortunately and unexpectedly they survived the encountered and destroyed all the skeletons (but that was pre-fatigue rules...). :azalin:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Shloss Mordain in my opinion is heavily fortified. There are a lot of traps guarding his lab and the vault of his projects.
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

KingCorn wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 am Castle Ravenloft is THE example of a dungeon crawl in the land of mists, and similar canidates for such a crawl in another land have been mentioned before: Castle Avernus, the Black Vault, Gryphon Hill. And we've seen fan attempts, with my personal favorite being Castle Falkenstein (still my third favorite QtR article)

What other places would be good for a large dungeon crawl, and how could they be filled out? What traps might you put in Draccipetri? Or in Schloss Mordenheim?
What about Ankhtepot's tomb as laid out in "Darklords"?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

It is more detailed in Touch of Death adventure although I expected more maze-like corridors ending in traps, but then again the pyramids also had a simple structure so it is OK.
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Misericordia, the Boritsi estate, has over 300 rooms, plus extensive grounds, laboratories, and greenhouses. It would be ripe for a dungeon crawl approach, especially if something locked down the estate so that the people who lived there had limited mobility compared to a group of expendable heroes. Degravo, the Dilisnya estate, is smaller but much more likely to be trap-laden, as both versions of Ivan Dilisnya seem like the kind of sadist/moron who would put a bottomless pit in their own living room.
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:22 am It is more detailed in Touch of Death adventure although I expected more maze-like corridors ending in traps, but then again the pyramids also had a simple structure so it is OK.
The pyramids also didn't have darklords in them. Or mummies. Historical analogies have their place but the purpose is entertainment. I would agree that those corridors needed something more.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 am The pyramids also didn't have darklords in them. Or mummies. Historical analogies have their place but the purpose is entertainment. I would agree that those corridors needed something more.
Well actually they had mummies.
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

hidajiremi wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 am Degravo, the Dilisnya estate, is smaller but much more likely to be trap-laden, as both versions of Ivan Dilisnya seem like the kind of sadist/moron who would put a bottomless pit in their own living room.
Ever since the Grand Conjunction, with the appearance of the Shadow Rift, Degravo's backyard has been one gigantic bottomless pit.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:20 pmWell actually they had mummies.
-_-
I mean mummies that move around and punch people. The desert itself, with the zombie ambushes was kinda more... I can't place it.

As for Ivan's lair, I don't have any adventure with his house. But I do agree with those that said that the pyramid of :ankhtepot: would be more entertaining if there were more corridors ending in deadly traps. My sister loved looking at dead ends for secret doors.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

hidajiremi wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 am ...both versions of Ivan Dilisnya seem like the kind of sadist/moron who would put a bottomless pit in their own living room.
And that's Ivan Dilisnya in a delightfully succinct nutshell.