Souragne adventure - bg questions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
coco le belge
Conspirator
Conspirator

Souragne adventure - bg questions

Post by coco le belge »

Hello community,
so this is my second post (after a small presentation of myself).
As mentionned, I have been a player of ravenloft for years but decided now to be on the other side of the table.
we launched an intro adventure ("Down came a black bird" from Stacey Allan) for my new table and by the end of the adventure that will be concluded this sunday, the players should drift towards Souragne (first stop).

I love Souragne. it's a player souvenir, one of my favorite character I interpreted was "Cerise de Pont d'Elhour" a beautiful with lot's of character (where-rat) voodooan/thieve. So as a first stop in Ravenloft, I am sending the players in Sourgane. I have of course read a few things here and there, bought a few pdfs on DMGuild.
I of course intended at first to masterize "the night of the Walking Dead". I also read "Bloody harvest" thats seems to be an interesting story.
If I go for "The night of the walking dead" I would like to develop the adventure. I think the overall story is interesting, but misses a lot of details, location descriptions/maps, and also would have loved some interaction with Anton Misroi. I know the adventure is meant to be short (1-3 sessions) but it's so sad that Souragne (and other realms) were never developped.
Any ideas to develop the adventure, tips, ressources, after game experience?

So far I bought the following pdfs on GMGuild:

- Night of the walking Dead - bloody moon. If I understand it's alsmot a carbon copy of the initial adventure 20 years later...? Did not read it yet.
- The bloody harvest. interesting really. I think that there should be some place for Anton Misroi to intervene. Not sure the lord of realm would appreciate the Merchant goal "His current goal is Souragne is merely to wait for the death's head tree to begin bearing its macabre fruit. Although very dangerous to humans, it's fruits are in fact a delicacy to certain clients of his."
- Souragne Domains of ravenloft
- Souragne gazetter
- Night of the walking dead conversion. A few nice ideas here and there.

Never understood why ravenloft was never really developped. Of course you have a few supplements with some general description, the new "Curse of strahd". But would love to see more supplements like this one for other realms. On book > setting and small campaign.

By the way the more and more i read d&d5 edition the less I like it... Missing a little second edition (a not perfect edition but a little more complex)

Thanks
ps: sorry for my basic english.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Souragne adventure - bg questions

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I believe with the sources mentioned you will be fine (especially the FoS Souragne Gazetteer) link for those who don't know of its existence here -----> https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Lib ... etteer.pdf

Although the following are featured in the aforementioned gazetteer you can also check Chicken Bone from the 2e Ravenloft Monstrous Compedium II and also the novel Dance of the Dead takes place in Souragne and details the story of Larissa Snowmane as well as features Anton Misroi and the Maiden of the Swamp.

Then there is an adventure set in Souragne from Chidren of the Night: Werebeasts
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Bonjour Jérôme, et bienvenue.

Another vote for our FoS Souragne Report, it is filled to the gullet with adventure hooks. Don't forget to read the WE as well.

There is also the 3e book Dark Tales and disturbing legends, it had an intriguing adventure set in Souragne, as well a a voodan class PrC and an expanded list of loas.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
coco le belge
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by coco le belge »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:07 am Bonjour Jérôme, et bienvenue.

Another vote for our FoS Souragne Report, it is filled to the gullet with adventure hooks. Don't forget to read the WE as well.

There is also the 3e book Dark Tales and disturbing legends, it had an intriguing adventure set in Souragne, as well a a voodan class PrC and an expanded list of loas.
Merci!

what is "FoS Souragne Report"? is it a topic? Guess I can find it in the forum.
Same as the "We"? is it also a forum topic, :-)
I will check for "Dark Tales and disturbing legends"

Thanks again both of you!
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

coco le belge wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:09 pm Merci!

what is "FoS Souragne Report"? is it a topic? Guess I can find it in the forum.
I will check for "Dark Tales and disturbing legends"

Thanks again both of you!
Its on the mainsite, alongside the Quoth the Raven archive.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

coco le belge wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:09 pm what is "FoS Souragne Report"? is it a topic? Guess I can find it in the forum.
The FoS Souragne Report, Souragne Gazetteer, and (if you're feeling fancy) Fraternity of Shadows: Survey on the Souragne Expedition all refer to the same document, which Mephisto linked above. Like the others in this thread, I highly recommend it.

The "WE" that Joël referenced is the "Web Enhancements" for the Souragne gazetteer. It may be found at https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Lib ... cement.pdf

Hope this helps. And welcome!
friendfiran
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by friendfiran »

Going to just echo what others have said about the FoS Gazetteer for Souragne - it is very well done.

Also, I wrote a 5e adventure for Souragne that includes a summary of background information about the Domain, its people, and Darklord Anton Misroi in the Introduction section. It's entirely based on canon from pre-5e canon.

The Adventure is a pay what you want, so just put in "0" for the amount to get the PDF for free. I based the concept around Night of the Walking Dead but changed the story around. Kind of more like a love letter to the original module.

Anyway you can download it for free here:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/356601 ... f-Souragne