House of Lament Ideas

Discussing all things Ravenloft
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

House of Lament Ideas

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Ever since the "virus of unknown origins" hit, the old group I DMed hasn't played. But now we want to get back into it but they really need a refresher on the rules. So I decided to run a one-off in the House of Lament. The problem is, it's been so long since I read Domains of Dread I only remember vague details about the House. Like attacking the walls causes them to bleed and eventually form blood elementals, writing that reads "MARA IS LONELY" on the walls, etc. Plus there wasn't that much more to help "flesh out" the creepy, uncanny elements of a haunted house that's both domain and domain lord in one.

I'm looking for ideas on things the House would do, events that would take place to unnerve intruders, that sort of thing.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: House of Lament Ideas

Post by DustBunny »

High Priest Mikhal wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:02 pmI'm looking for ideas on things the House would do, events that would take place to unnerve intruders, that sort of thing.
Some inspiration may be from old 'house horror' movies like 'Poltergeist', 'The Amityville Horror' or 'The Shining' (avoid the terrible remakes which were more 'splatterpunk' than horror). Another is the Haunted Hotel section of the video game Vampire:Bloodlines.

Throwing out a few ten-a-penny ideas...

* The PC's find a landscape picture with a group of people depicted. Despite being very old if they look carefully they see themselves in the background.

* If the PC's make a spot check they notice that there is one more shadow than their own.

* Looking into an old mirror, the PC's sees themselves as per normal. But after a moment the reflection starts screaming silently before being dragged 'out of view'.

* Cold spots, foul smells, oddly subdued lights and so forth from classic ghost stories.

* I have to include one of my favourites from the Hotel in bloodlines. In brief there was a murder/suicide in a hotel that was burned down, but nobody knows who did it. Searching one of the children's rooms you come across this drawing.... (a clue ?) ;)
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Isn't the House of Lament adventure from VRGtRavenloft good? I mean I know they have changed the darklord's background
VIEW CONTENT:
and have included an amber sarcophagus in it
but still it may have some good elements, no?
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:18 pm Isn't the House of Lament adventure from VRGtRavenloft good? I mean I know they have changed the darklord's background
VIEW CONTENT:
and have included an amber sarcophagus in it
but still it may have some good elements, no?
Honestly, I think it’s really good! The maps are good and it’s an excellent intro to Ravenloft regardless of if they’re natives or Outlanders. I’ve run it as an intro/level one module 3 times and all my groups have loved it, and while I haven’t killed anyone, I came very close and out the fear of the dark into them from the start!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DustBunny wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:02 pm<snip>
I like those ideas and I'll certainly use them.

I don't have VRGt Ravenloft and if it's a Wizards product, I have no plans on buying it. WotC and Hasbro both have soured me towards them and I already have all the books for 3.5. Plus all the most important rules are online for free (d20srd.org) for easy reference.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Speedwagon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:27 am
Honestly, I think it’s really good! The maps are good and it’s an excellent intro to Ravenloft regardless of if they’re natives or Outlanders. I’ve run it as an intro/level one module 3 times and all my groups have loved it, and while I haven’t killed anyone, I came very close and out the fear of the dark into them from the start!
The House of Lament is good and the House of Death in Castle Ravenloft is also good. Which one do you refer to? As I am not sure House of Lament is meant for 1st lvl players although I don't remember it.

Anyway, you can all see that Rucht is running a campaign there.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I'm toying with the idea of a domain where every building is a genius loci and the House of Lament is the darklord.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I should mention the one-off will be with their existing characters (levels 7-8 when we last played). Tough enough to have a chance of resisting the tactics of the OG House. Kind of necessary when the entire thing is composed of living walls that want nothing more than to absorb intruders once they're sufficiently terrified and/or worn down physically, that can spawn blood elementals if you attack the walls (they literally bleed, remember), and will only be put to rest when someone willingly sacrifices themselves so the House gives up Mara's bones and they can be laid to rest. I plan on making an NPC do that last part.