The next battlefield of the Edition Wars: One D&D

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: The next battlefield of the Edition Wars: One D&D

Post by alhoon »

Jester of the FoS wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:04 am The new update is up: https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium- ... ytest5.pdf

Like other updates there's good bits and bad bits, and different people will strongly disagree on which is which.
I really dislike the changes to warlocks for example, and find removing the short rest spell progression from them makes them far less interesting.
I completely agree. The combo of invocations and 2 spell slots at high level every short rest made them very different. I don't see me changing that any time soon.
I liked the changes to the sorcerer... and not the wizard. Writing spells to the spellbook is now a spell. It works like it did, you don't have to memorize it BUT... it still feels weird. But I could live with that.
The strange ability to cast a spell to swap prepared spells seems :?
The modify spell is useful, I guess but a bit too over-reaching.
And then, the "create spell" (which more or less gives you the modified spell as a spell in your spellbook to prepare) seems really half-cooked and badly written. Can you modify a spell you created that way? I.e. can you create a spell with no components? Can you teach the spell you just created? If "yes" to both then through the centuries you have lighting bolt without components (three alterations) to teach to all your apprentices. And there is fireball, acidball, frostball, thunderball etc (one alteration each).
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!