Carrier Pigeons in the Mists

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Carrier Pigeons in the Mists

Post by Pizza »

Can carrier pigeons carry a message from one domain to another? So the mists are a problem, and if the message attracts the attention of the Dark Lord or Dark Powers then the chance of success can easily go to 0. However, presumably for some secret or just normal message if you sent 10 pigeons, there’s a good chance at least one would wind up in the proper domain in a place it recognizes.

Now this is where it gets questionable to me. Travelling through the Core or a cluster the pigeon shouldn’t have anything truly weird like a change in magnetic field or the cardinal directions abruptly shifting around or some such. If the pigeon travels between clusters or from one island of terror to another though, there’s a real chance that a pigeon’s orientation to all these things abruptly flips. I think at least some pigeons could handle even that, but that seems like it might be a really small percentage of pigeons especially when compounded with whether or not the mists allowed the journey to proceed exactly as intended. Any thoughts?
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Carrier Pigeons in the Mists

Post by Manofevil »

Good question. Here's another. Does, indeed CAN, anything migrate in Ravenloft? Fish, whales, birds, anything?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

Manofevil wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:57 pm Good question. Here's another. Does, indeed CAN, anything migrate in Ravenloft? Fish, whales, birds, anything?
This perhaps takes us to the larger question of how the seasons function in Ravenloft. The Core at least seems large enough that there would be at least a small difference between the northernmost and southernmost areas (maybe a big one, I’m not certain on its size). Some clusters seem to be perpetually cold or warm just like some places on earth. I would think it would be possible birds might.

The defined “seas” of Ravenloft seem rather small. I think you’d need whales and fish Travelling to places that just sort of theoretically exist in canon to make it work.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Wasn't there a fan-guild based on mail services that was a front for fiends called the White Pigeon Guild?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

KingCorn wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:38 am Wasn't there a fan-guild based on mail services that was a front for fiends called the White Pigeon Guild?
https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/The ... igeon.html

Idea :idea: Carrion Pidgeon
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

In my Ravenlodt Vistani vardoes often transport goods for a price, letters included. Borcan couriers instead are often guided by an Anchorite.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

In 5e, the Keepers of the Feather secret society has a network of "messenger ravens" that can reliably deliver letters between domains of dread, and they offer it as a service to those who are seen as the society's allies. It is implied that these are special birds that only Keepers know how to raise. As an option, a raven can be instructed deliver a message verbally, if the sender is going for a more spooky vibe.

Obviously, the Vistani are another option.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

Igor the Henchman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:45 am In 5e, the Keepers of the Feather secret society has a network of "messenger ravens" that can reliably deliver letters between domains of dread, and they offer it as a service to those who are seen as the society's allies. It is implied that these are special birds that only Keepers know how to raise. As an option, a raven can be instructed deliver a message verbally, if the sender is going for a more spooky vibe.

Interesting. I was always told that if you split a crow’s tongue you could teach it to talk. Wonder if ravens are the same, or if that is even true.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

In the core, as long as borders are open, I don't see any reason for pigeons to not work from domain to domain.
On the other hand, does Ravenloft have a magnetic North and South for the pigeons to home in? Do compasses work in all the domains?

Last but not least: Homing pigeons are second to 'Sending' spell. Sending can go anywhere and won't be intercepted. Homing pigeons are not needed in places with a reliable number of clerics or mages. Most domains of Ravenloft have clerics that can serve those rich enough to send pigeons. Not all though. So there could be some use of homing pigeons, if a druid or ranger trained them.
Speaking of training them: Animal messenger is even lower level than sending...
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Pizza wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:31 am Interesting. I was always told that if you split a crow’s tongue you could teach it to talk. Wonder if ravens are the same, or if that is even true.
Ravens and crows can learn up to a 100 words and I don't believe someone has to body modify them as a mind flayer would, one only has to train them.

Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:48 pm does Ravenloft have a magnetic North and South for the pigeons to home in? Do compasses work in all the domains?
Homing pidgeons are "trained" by owners transporting them gradually longer distances from their loft and letting them go to find home. When tracked, these birds use familiar landmarks, rivers, motorways and hills to locate home, so fog and low cloud is a handicap.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Eh? Homing pigeons use magnetoreception to find their nest. They have been bred for this ability and they can find their way back thanks to this, even from places they have never been to before. According to wikipedia, the extend of their ability to "map" (figure the features etc as you suggested) is highly debated.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

Pizza wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:31 am
Igor the Henchman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:45 am In 5e, the Keepers of the Feather secret society has a network of "messenger ravens" that can reliably deliver letters between domains of dread, and they offer it as a service to those who are seen as the society's allies. It is implied that these are special birds that only Keepers know how to raise. As an option, a raven can be instructed deliver a message verbally, if the sender is going for a more spooky vibe.

Interesting. I was always told that if you split a crow’s tongue you could teach it to talk. Wonder if ravens are the same, or if that is even true.
The idea to split a talking bird's tongue, whether a corvid, parrot or mynah, to help it learn how to speak is a profoundly cruel old wives' tale that has had no visible affect on improving a bird's talking skills beyond robbing them of it.
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

alhoon wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:43 pm Eh? Homing pigeons use magnetoreception to find their nest. They have been bred for this ability and they can find their way back thanks to this, even from places they have never been to before. According to wikipedia, the extend of their ability to "map" (figure the features etc as you suggested) is highly debated.
All vertebrates apparently have microscopic magnetite crystals in their brain cells, apparently as one of many byproducts evolutionarily elaborated upon due to animals' iron metabolism systems. Some vertebrates, particularly migratory birds and fishes, have enough magnetite crystals in their brains that they can attune themselves to the earth's magnetic field.
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

alhoon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:48 pm Last but not least: Homing pigeons are second to 'Sending' spell. Sending can go anywhere and won't be intercepted. Homing pigeons are not needed in places with a reliable number of clerics or mages. Most domains of Ravenloft have clerics that can serve those rich enough to send pigeons. Not all though. So there could be some use of homing pigeons, if a druid or ranger trained them.
Speaking of training them: Animal messenger is even lower level than sending...
On the other pinion, would a sending spell find someone in a location warded against scrying and divination magic?