Quoth the Raven #30 reaction thread.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven #30 reaction thread.

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Mistmaster wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:40 pm Thanks. Shreck reference? The Puss in Boots was intended as a reference to the original fairy tail and ...
The happily-married Ogre Mage Rogue, immediately followed by the Paka.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:12 am
Mistmaster wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:40 pm Thanks. Shreck reference? The Puss in Boots was intended as a reference to the original fairy tail and ...
The happily-married Ogre Mage Rogue, immediately followed by the Paka.
That was a reference to Tom Thumb's Ogre.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:10 pm Tepest, land of fairytales and folklore:

The Golden Apple seems like a particularly frightening possibility. I wonder what keeps the hags united. Even with Grimhilde at the helm, I'd expect some of the members to either jockey for advancement or else slink off to set up their own little fiefdoms. What are the group's benefits like, for them to stick together?
Never replyed to this, well, more hag in a coven, more powerful it gets; An hag of the Apple covenat have access to far greater power and knowledge then any unaffiliated one; combine it with Grimhilde political power, and you get your answer.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:18 am
Manofevil wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:37 am DID I OR DID i NOT TELL YOU THAT 'Codename Requiem -The Strange Fate of Gunnison, Colorado 2004 (Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem) ' WAS TO BE CREDITED TO M. T. KELLY?!!
https://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/v ... il#p253367
With that shouting, now it is well known.
Sorry, but it's just not the first time. MIstakes will happen so let's consider the matter handled and dropped.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

KingCorn wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:49 am Fantastic work this year with the Masquerade Article Mephisto. Its little flavor things like that, with named pcs and rumors to put in any event, and a way to keep track of them, the nitty-gritty part of storytelling that means so much.
Thanks!
KingCorn wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:08 pm Edit: In fact, I'd just like to say, guys Ian, Jeremy, Rock, and Mephisto are what carry this netbook on after so many old settings fan support would have died with the original netbook founders. When NeoTiamat and others stepped down, they have stepped up and each provide a new interpretation of the mists and its relation to the dnd-setting multiverse.
If it wasn't for Ron and Joël of the FoS to keep up with the project none of this would have been possible though.
KingCorn wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:08 pm May I one day make stuff half as good as they make.
https://media.tenor.com/ECeWUkBE2m8AAAA ... ed-shy.gif
Jeremy16 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:23 pm Thanks to everyone for all the high praise. I really appreciate it. I'm glad my small contributions to the setting have proven both fun and useful to others. Ultimately, this is a group effort and this community is extremely blessed with a lot of talented and passionate people. I'd like to thank the members of the fraternity for all the behind-the-scenes work they have put in editing and formatting everything for our perusal. I'm only a few articles in so far, but it looks wonderful. Good job, guys!
Sorry for not making the images for your Ill reputed people Jeremy, I didn't even have time to finish the two articles I intended to release with QtR#30. I will try to make them (the images that is) to be published with the errata corrections for QtR#30 version 2.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:18 pm If it wasn't for Ron and Joël of the FoS to keep up with the project none of this would have been possible though.
An excellent point. To Ron and Joël! Raises a glass of G'Hennan red.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IanFordam wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:44 pm
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:18 pm If it wasn't for Ron and Joël of the FoS to keep up with the project none of this would have been possible though.
An excellent point. To Ron and Joël! Raises a glass of G'Hennan red.
Hear, hear.
Raises a goblet of Barovian red.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Hear, hear raise a goblet of Invidian white.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

A few initial thoughts on this year's Quoth the Raven! It is nowhere near in order...

1. The Conquista Gazetteer by Rock is a lovely continuation of his Wartorn Cluster work. I've kept up with it so far and though it's complex, that complexity is what really shows the amount of thought put into it. At first, when I saw the name of the domain was Conquista, I was expecting a Conquistador Spain sort of vibe, like Ryan Naylor's Mictlan andCumbre de Oro or Dion Fernandez's Ukhu Pacha and Igid Rabi-I. So I was (pleasantly) surprised to see it was a MUCH more advanced domain than I would've predicted and filled with a lot more themes than the title of "Conquista" would suggest. The locations in the domain, from the Wrathwall to the borders of Lillend and Masogan to the cities of Hughrest and Las Zorras, all show a significant amount of thought put into them and have their own subtle and not-so-subtle adventure hooks and opportunities for DMs to implement directly or to take bits and pieces for their own games from. Though the domain is of such an advanced CL, it's really interesting to see how they deal with their more primitive Masogani neighbors with the barren nature of the southern cánton and disparity in gunpowder vs. no gunpowder. The worldbuilding thus draws the reader in, as it's such a departure from the usual Ravenloft style but very charming in how it marries various concepts that, alone, would seem perhaps "too much" or "incompatible" with the setting but together complement one another very well (a great example being the fey, or lack thereof, in Conquista). The discussion of hope in spite of Conquista's political situation was a very necessary one, as that's something that is often forgotten about with Ravenloft. And the more that message is hammered home, the better off the setting is in my opinion. Finally, the furthering of the metaplot involving the Red Haunt only makes me even more interested in future updates from Rock!

2. The "Register of Monsters" is always cool to see show up, though I'm sad to say that I haven't yet had a use for them in my games. The art is always super cool and I'm really jealous of the amount of creativity put behind each one's design and lore, and I think it's good to break-up especially big issues of QtR like this one with a diversity of written text and drawn imagery.

3. Chibiloft! I honestly didn't think we'd see any of these adorable goobers this year but we did, and I'm very thankful that we got to see them. Their adventures in the Mists and appearances at the end of articles is always a welcome break from reading such big PDFs and I'm curious to see how their adventures continue, especially with that interesting cliffhanger.

4. Mistmaster returns to the Mistworld with Blaustein (and Tepest but I'll cover that later)! I enjoy the Tortuga and Berber state influence on Blaustein, as I've always thought that the melange of "pirate paradise island" and "Ottoman" suited Bluebeard's vibe best and showed just how diverse the Ravenloft campaign setting could be, as it didn't need to skew religiously towards a 1:1 or 1:2.5 adaptation of real life lore (the latter would be more like 7th Sea). Though I already really liked the Fraternity of Shadows take on Blaustein and its locales, the introduction of new settlements like Portplasse, Portlant, and more gives me a bit more to work with in my own home games. Even better that they're all relatively distinct from one another in terms of trade resources and overall outlook! I'm also tickled pink with all the references to famous pirate captains and figures in the Golden Age of Piracy and beyond that are given easter-egg style naming conventions and references. As usual, the Famed and the Infamous sections are overflowing with interesting NPC ideas and adventure hooks, and I really have to tip my hat to Mistmaster on consistently not running out of ideas or repeating similar concepts after some time, especially when it comes to making an adventure hook for each and every character shown. I can come up with characters, yeah, but that's on a whole other level. Bravo!

5. Wolfglide's "Font of Mercurial Tears" is a real masterclass in thematic writing! Not only does it keep Hauptschrei's cold and analytic voice throughout the work (until our other, more fortunate and savvy commentator takes over) but it really manages to immerse the reader in caring about all of the little details in a way that doesn't sound dry or textbook-y like most scientific or academic papers steeped in high level jargon run the risk of doing frequently. And the ultimate story behind the Font is truly something "gothic" and worthy of Ravenloft, and a good use of elves!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Thank you all, soon I'll have time to write as well for QtR (but I'm looking forward to you reading my Blaustein 2.0 ;) ).

This year was a slightly stressfull end for Qtr30, as Mephisto's computer melted two weeks before the release date, so I took over from "main continuity formatter" to "full netbook editor". This explains the back to the old look for QtR30 instead of the gorgeous feel of Qtr29. I had help to pinpoint booboo's from the work in progress netbook from my friends at the FoS, and that was very helpfull. All helped in scrubbing the texts.

Great team work to get the thing done on time. I'm very happy to be part of such a team.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Speedwagon wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:50 pm A few initial thoughts on this year's Quoth the Raven! It is nowhere near in order...

1. The Conquista Gazetteer by Rock is a lovely continuation of his Wartorn Cluster work.
Thank you! ^_^ I put a lot into Conquista, and some of it I had to dig deep for.
Speedwagon wrote:I've kept up with it so far and though it's complex, that complexity is what really shows the amount of thought put into it.
I'm really happy to know there are people who enjoy my Cluster and metaplot.
Peedwagon wrote:At first, when I saw the name of the domain was Conquista, I was expecting a Conquistador Spain sort of vibe, like Ryan Naylor's Mictlan andCumbre de Oro or Dion Fernandez's Ukhu Pacha and Igid Rabi-I. So I was (pleasantly) surprised to see it was a MUCH more advanced domain than I would've predicted and filled with a lot more themes than the title of "Conquista" would suggest. The locations in the domain, from the Wrathwall to the borders of Lillend and Masogan to the cities of Hughrest and Las Zorras, all show a significant amount of thought put into them and have their own subtle and not-so-subtle adventure hooks and opportunities for DMs to implement directly or to take bits and pieces for their own games from. Though the domain is of such an advanced CL, it's really interesting to see how they deal with their more primitive Masogani neighbors with the barren nature of the southern cánton and disparity in gunpowder vs. no gunpowder. The worldbuilding thus draws the reader in, as it's such a departure from the usual Ravenloft style but very charming in how it marries various concepts that, alone, would seem perhaps "too much" or "incompatible" with the setting but together complement one another very well (a great example being the fey, or lack thereof, in Conquista). The discussion of hope in spite of Conquista's political situation was a very necessary one, as that's something that is often forgotten about with Ravenloft. And the more that message is hammered home, the better off the setting is in my opinion.
At a certain point, I felt the opportunity for positive change in Conquista needed to be pointed out. Like I said before, I put a lot into this domain, much of it dark. But it's not meant to be a hopeless slog. The Demiplane also holds great beauty, it is a world worth fighting for, and heroes can make a difference.
Speedwagon wrote:Finally, the furthering of the metaplot involving the Red Haunt only makes me even more interested in future updates from Rock!
Stay tuned for the Vieuxlyons Gazetteer, coming to an issue of Quoth the Raven near you. :wink:
Speedwagon wrote:3. Chibiloft! I honestly didn't think we'd see any of these adorable goobers this year but we did, and I'm very thankful that we got to see them.

Many thanks to Joël and Mephisto for allowing me to make some late entries. With all the work on Conquista, I didn't think I'd have time for Chibiloft this year, but I'm glad I did.
Speedwagon wrote:Their adventures in the Mists and appearances at the end of articles is always a welcome break from reading such big PDFs and I'm curious to see how their adventures continue, especially with that interesting cliffhanger.
Please stay tuned! :)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

IanFordam wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:44 pm An excellent point. To Ron and Joël! Raises a glass of G'Hennan red.
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:52 pm Hear, hear.
Mistmaster wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:33 pm Hear, hear raise a goblet of Invidian white.
Mephisto raises his glass of fine Andaas Brimbubbly ‘27...

:azalin:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:18 pm
Jeremy16 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:23 pm Thanks to everyone for all the high praise. I really appreciate it. I'm glad my small contributions to the setting have proven both fun and useful to others. Ultimately, this is a group effort and this community is extremely blessed with a lot of talented and passionate people. I'd like to thank the members of the fraternity for all the behind-the-scenes work they have put in editing and formatting everything for our perusal. I'm only a few articles in so far, but it looks wonderful. Good job, guys!
Sorry for not making the images for your Ill reputed people Jeremy, I didn't even have time to finish the two articles I intended to release with QtR#30. I will try to make them (the images that is) to be published with the errata corrections for QtR#30 version 2.
That's alright. I understand that life sometime gets in the way of things. I was tempted to throw in the art direction for my NPCs into this thread just so people could see the original references, but I will hold back on that for now!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Speedwagon wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:50 pm 5. Wolfglide's "Font of Mercurial Tears" is a real masterclass in thematic writing! Not only does it keep Hauptschrei's cold and analytic voice throughout the work (until our other, more fortunate and savvy commentator takes over) but it really manages to immerse the reader in caring about all of the little details in a way that doesn't sound dry or textbook-y like most scientific or academic papers steeped in high level jargon run the risk of doing frequently. And the ultimate story behind the Font is truly something "gothic" and worthy of Ravenloft, and a good use of elves!
Thank you! It does me wonders to hear that. I'm in the process of writing my first real scientific paper right now, and I am not anticipating the editors and reviewers to be as appreciative of my artistic license.
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:43 am
IanFordam wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:44 pm An excellent point. To Ron and Joël! Raises a glass of G'Hennan red.
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:52 pm Hear, hear.
Mistmaster wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:33 pm Hear, hear raise a goblet of Invidian white.
Mephisto raises his glass of fine Andaas Brimbubbly ‘27...

:azalin:
Raises a goblet of red—but it is too thick to be wine.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Wolfglide of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:07 am
Raises a goblet of red—but it is too thick to be wine.
Count-King Strahd is that you?