The Corrupted

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Corrupted

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I have been making stats as well for a Dragonlance rules based Lord Soth and he becomes too powerful both in death knight and mortal forms. If someone converted the When the Black Roses Bloom adventure into 3e based on the Dragonlance rules then the mortal Soth becomes level 15 instead of the 9 level Knight of Solamnia found in the adventure.

I think I will stick to the official 3e Ravenloft version of ex-Paladin 9/Blackguard 6, CE and have the various Solamnic Knight orders be titles instead of prestige classes. The problem with this is that when he becomes a death knight he should have a 15-dice fireball instead of the 20-dice one... bummer...
:soth: <--------------not smilling
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Give him Ability focus (fireball) or a tweaked version of Practised spellcaster.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:49 am Give him Ability focus (fireball) or a tweaked version of Practised spellcaster.
Thanks but there is no need to, I had failed to notice the following

Death Knight Characters
A death knight PC's effective character level (ECL) is equal to the creature's character level +5

So ex-Pal9/Blk6 ECL 15+5=20-dice roll fireball :azalin:
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lord Soth was renowned as a Knight of the Sword and became a Knight of the Rose 4 years before his death. Thats why I created him with more fighter levels and less Knight of the Rose levels (also I needed the bonus feat).

Loren Soth, The Idealised Lord Soth
Male human Fighter 6/Cleric 1/Crown Knight 3/Sword Knight 3/ Rose Knight 2; CR 15; Medium (6'5") humanoid (human); HD 11d10+4d8+45; hp 122; Init (Dex +2, heroic initiative +1, improved initiative +4); Spd 20 ft.; AC 22 (Dex +2, plate mail +3) touch 12, flat-footed 20; Base Atk +13/+18; Atk +23 melee (1d10+10/17-20, +5 holy avenger bastard sword) ; Full Atk +23/+18/+13 melee (1d10+5/17-20, +5 holy avenger bastard sword) or 15 ranged (1d10, crit. 19/20 heavy crossbow); SA Strength of honor 1/day, smite evil 1/day, turn undead, divine spells; SQ knightly courage, rallying cry, detect evil, inspire courage, aura of good, aura of courage; AL "LG"; SV Fort +19, Ref +6, Will +11;
Str 21, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 17

Skills: Concentration +8, Diplomacy +11, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (religion) +6, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +10, Ride +17, Hide +7

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Cleave, Diehard, Endurance, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Honor-bound, Improved Critical (bastard sword), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Power Attack

Signature Possessions: half-plate +3, helm of etherealness, holy avenger bastard sword

Holy Avenger (Su): Lord Loren Soth owns a holy avenger bastard sword, this +2 cold iron bastard sword becomes a +5 holy cold iron bastard sword in his hands or the hands of a paladin. When wielded by Loren Soth, this sacred weapon provides spell resistance of 13 to the wielder and anyone adjacent to him. It also enables him to use greater dispel magic (once per round as a standard action) as an 8th level caster. Only the area dispel is possible, not the targeted dispel or counterspell versions of greater dispel magic.

Strength of Honor (Su): Once per day, Lord Loren Soth can gain a +4 morale bonus to his Strength score for a 6 rounds.

Aura of Courage (Su): As a Knight of Solamnia Lord Loren Soth applies +7 to his saving throws against fear effects. Allies within 10 feet of him gain a +4 morale bonus against these effect as well.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day Lord Loren Soth may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. He adds +3 to his attack roll and deals +3 extra points of damage. If he accidentally smites a non evil creature, the smite has no effect but is still used up for the day.

Aura of Good (Ex): The power of Lord Loren Soth's aura of good is 6.

Turn Undead (Su): Lord Loren Soth has the supernatural ability to turn undead. He can use this ability 6 times per day. He turns undead as a 3rd level cleric.

Rallying Cry (Su): Lord Loren Soth may as a free action, utter a powerful shout that causes all allies within 60 feet to gain a +1 morale bonus on their next attack roll and increases their base spedd by 5 feet on their next action. Rallying cry is a mind-affecting ability that may be used up to three times per day. It affects only allies who can hear the Knight's cry.

Inspire Courage (Su): Lord Loren Soth can inspire courage to his allies and himself twice per day, bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the Rose knight speak. The effect lasts as long as the ally hears the Rose Knight continue to speak and for 5 rounds thereafter. While speaking Soth can fight but cannot cast spells, activate magical items by spell completion (such as scrolls) or activate magic items by magic words (such as wands). Affected allies gain a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. Inspire courage is a mind effecting ability.

Spellcasting: Lord Loren Soth has the spellcasting abilities of a 6th level cleric but due to his low Wisdom score he is able to cast only five 0-level spells.

Favourite spells: cure minor wounds, detect magic, guidance, read magic, resistance

Languages: Common, Solamnic, Silvanesti (Sithican)

Signature possessions: Helmet of etherealness, half-plate mail +3, holy avenger bastard sword

The Blessed Knight of Sithicus
Stats same as above with the following changes

Special Attacks
  • Modify Memory (Su): This ability works just as the modify memory spell, except that the Blessed Knight can modify up to 1 hour of memory. Just like the spell the Blessed Knight mustspend an equal amount of time visualising the memory to be changed.

Phantasmal Weapon (Su): At will as a free action, the Blessed Knight can make his sword phantasmal making it able to pass through armor and solid protection (such as chain mail or natural armor)
    allowing the Blessed Knight to strike its opponents with nothing more than a touch attack.
Special Qualities
  • Shadowstuff Subtype: Immune to polymorph, charm, domination, sleep, and all other mind-affecting and body alteration magic.

Shadow Walk (Su): The Blessed Knight can shadow walk as the spell at will to any shadow within a mile from Nedargaard Keep.

Trackless Step (Su): The Blessed Knight leaves neither tracks nor incidental signs of his passing. Any attempts to track him down using the Survival skill, as well as attempts to find clues of his passing using a Search skill, fail. Anyone trying to spy the Blessed Knight by scrying, sees the image of a black void. The Blessed Knight can purposefully leave signs intentionally that can be found by normal means.

Speechless (Ex): The Blessed Knight is incapable of speech and cannot use any ability or skill that requires him to talk such as rallying cry, inspire courage and spellcasting.

Armor Class: The Blessed Knight's natural armor increases by +2.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Don't forget to adjust his class abilities for turning Evil.

Also, don't forget he was pulling off big spells in KotBR, so consider improving his Wisdom score.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 am Don't forget to adjust his class abilities for turning Evil.
Turning Evil? where does it say that?
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 am Also, don't forget he was pulling off big spells in KotBR, so consider improving his Wisdom score.
Well I believe Soth to be of low willpower and this is one of the reasons he was corrupted. Which spells? in KotBR he mostly casts arcane spells isn't he?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I mean he became evil, so he can't use his Solamnic Knight class abilities anymore.

Even if he cast arcane spells, his casting ability needs to come from somewhere, such as the Magic or Spell domain. He certainly isn't a mage.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:45 am I mean he became evil, so he can't use his Solamnic Knight class abilities anymore.

Even if he cast arcane spells, his casting ability needs to come from somewhere, such as the Magic or Spell domain. He certainly isn't a mage.
This is the Idealised version, I had forgotten to change his alignment to "Lawful Good"
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:45 am I mean he became evil, so he can't use his Solamnic Knight class abilities anymore.
This is the Idealised version, the one inside the mirrors, I had forgotten to change his alignment to "Lawful Good" in the stats. The Death Knight version is going to be posted below.
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:45 am Even if he cast arcane spells, his casting ability needs to come from somewhere, such as the Magic or Spell domain. He certainly isn't a mage.
He is able to cast cleric spells though only 0-level spells due to his low Wisdom.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lord Soth, Knight of the Black Rose
Male death knight human Fighter 6/Cleric 1/Crown Knight 3/Sword Knight 3/ Rose Knight 2/Blackguard 5; CR 23; Medium (6'5") humanoid (human); HD 20d12; hp 133; Init +7 (Dex +2, heroic initiative +1, improved initiative +4); Spd 20 ft.; AC 27 (Dex +2, natural +5, plate mail +3) touch 12, flat-footed 24; Base Atk +18/+26; Atk +19 melee (1d10+9/17-20, +1 bastard sword of wounding) or +18 melee (1d8+5 plus 1 Con, touch, Will DC 23 halves damage and negates Con); Full Atk +19/+12/+8/+3 melee (1d10+9/17-20, +1 bastard sword of wounding) or +18 melee (1d8+5 plus 1 Con, touch, Will DC 25 halves damage and negates Con); SA abyssal blast, fear aura, spell-like abilities; SQ create skeletal warrior, damage reduction 15/magic, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold, electricity and polymorph ̧ see invisibility, spell resistance 30, summon mount, undead followers, undead traits; AL CE; SV Fort +25, Ref +12, Will +18;
Str 26, Dex 14, Con —, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 20

Skills: Concentration +8, Diplomacy +13, Intimidate +28, Knowledge (religion) +6, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +9, Ride +15, Hide +5

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Cleave, Diehard, Endurance, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Honor-bound, Improved Critical (bastard sword), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Trample

Languages: Solamnic*, Common, Silvanesti (Sithican), Abyssal, Draconic

Signature Possessions: Forsaken Brand, plate mail +3, helm of etherealness , bastard sword of death

Sword of Death: This steel bastard sword +1 is a wounding weapon that deals 1 point of Constitution damage from blood loss when it hits a creature. A critical hit does not multiply the Constitution damage. Creatures immune to critical hits (such as plants and constructs) are immune to the Constitution damage dealt by this weapon. In addition any creature hit by this weapon cannot be healed by regeneration. In subsequent rounds, the opponent so wounded loses one additional hit point for each wound inflicted by the sword. Thus, an opponent hit for four points of damage on the first melee round will automatically lose one additional hit point on the second and each successive round of combat. Loss of the extra point stops only when the creature so wounded bandages its wound or after 10 melee rounds (one turn). Damage from a sword of wounding can be healed only by normal means (rest and time), never by potion, spell, or other magical means short of a wish. Note that successive wounds will damage in the same manner as the first.

Forsaken Brand: This magical item was won by Lord Soth in a battle long ago in the plane of Fire. This mace-like one foot sceptre is decorated with carved sculls and learing faces. It exudes a grey smoke from its top constantly. When anyone is attacked with it they suffer 1d8 + 8 bludgeoning damage plus (4d8) negative damage to living creatures. Living creatures hit by it cannot regain hit points until the start of Soth's next turn. It can be triggered once per day by Soth to cast abyssal fire.

Helm of Etherealness: While wearing this helmet, Soth can use an action to gain the effect of the etherealness spell, which lasts for 10 minutes or until he removes the helmet or uses an action to end the effect. This property of the helmet cannot be used again until the next dawn.

Cold Embrace (Ex): Soth's touch attack uses negative energy to deal damage equal to 1d8 + 5 to living creatures. Each successful touch attack also deals 1 point of Constitution damage. A Will save DC 25 reduces the damage by half and negates the Constitution damage.

Desperate Strike (Ex): When the death knight is flanked by two or more opponents, he gains a +4d6 bonus to damage rolls in melee combat for as long as he remains flanked. This ability has no effect on undead, constructs or other creatures with no discernable anatomy or who are immune to critical hits.

Dire Providence (Su): When Lord Soth takes damage which would reduce him to 0 hit points or less, he may make a Fortitude save (DC equals damage dealt) to halve the damage.

Aura of Terror (Su): Lord Soth is shrouded in a dreadful aura of death and evil. When a living creature of less than 5 HD enters an area within 15 feet of a death knight it must succeed at a Will save 25 or be affected as though by a fear spell cast by a 20th level caster. On a success, the creature is immune to Soth's Aura of Terror for the next 24 hours.

Marshal Undead (Su): Unless Soth is incapacitated, undead creatures of his choice within 60 feet of him are immune to features that turn undead.

Smite Good (Su): Four times a day, Lord Soth may attempt to smite good with one normal melee attack. He adds +5 to his attack roll and deals 5 extra point of damage. If the death knight accidentally smites a creature that is not good, the smite has no effect but it is still used up for that day.

Sneak Attack (Ex): If Lord Soth can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The death knight’s attack deals an extra 2d6 damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when Lord Soth flanks his target. Should Lord Soth score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. Lord Soth can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The death knight must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Lord Soth cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Lay on hands (Su): Once per day, Lord Soth can channel negative energy to cure himself or his nightmare mount of damage equal to 100 hp.

Abyssal Fire: (1/Day) (Su): Once per day Soth can hurl can unleash a magical ball of eldritch green fire. The blast fills a 20-foot-radius spread anywhere within a range of 1200 feet of the death knight. The blast deals 20d6 points of damage. Half of the damage is fire damage, but the rest results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by protection from elements (fire), fire shield (chill shield), or similar magic. A Reflex save DC 25 reduces the damage by half. Any Medium or smaller Humanoid killed by Abyssal Fire, as well as every corpse of such a creature within the sphere, becomes a skeletal warrior completely under its control. The process takes one hour of uninterrupted concentration. Skeletal warriors created count against the death knight’s total undead followers. Absent any other command, the skeleton tries to kill any non-Undead creature it encounters.

Create Skeletal Warrior (Su): A death knight may transform a dead humanoid into a skeletal warrior completely under its control. The process takes one hour of uninterrupted concentration. Skeletal warriors created count against the death knight’s total undead followers.

Undead Followers (Su): Lord Soth attracts lesser undead creatures that happen to exist within a 200-mile radius. It may have up to 40 Hit Dice of followers. The followers arrive monthly in the following increments: 1d6 ghouls, 1d4 ghasts, 1d12 medium skeletons, 1d4 wights, or 1d8 medium zombies once per week. These creatures remain in the service of the death knight until destroyed. These creatures are in addition to any undead creatures Soth might be able to command or rebuke as a class ability.

Honor’s Price (Ex): Lord Soth suffers a -10 penalty to Charisma-based skill checks (except for Intimidation) whenever he deals with his former brotherhood or other of Orders with a lawful code. He gains a +10 bonus to Charisma-based skill checks when dealing with the underworld, criminals or other dishonorable individuals.

See Invisibility (Su): The death knight can see invisible and ethereal creatures as if constantly under the effect of a see invisibility spell.

Detect Magic (Su): Lord Soth can see magical auras as if constantly under the effect of a detect magic spell.

Blackguard Spells 1st-1
Cause fear, corrupt weapon, cure light wounds, doom, inflict light wounds, magic weapon, summon monster I*. (Evil creatures only)

Spellcasting: Soth can cast the following spells, using Charisma as the spellcasting ability (save DC 15 + spell level):
At will: command (cast at 3rd level), wall of ice (cast at 6th level).
2/day each: dispel magic (cast at 20th level), hold person (cast at 3rd level), gate
1/day: banishment (cast at 6th level), power word (blind, kill or stun and symbol (fear or pain) as a 20th level caster;

Spell Resistance (Su): Lord Soth has a spell resistance 30 on a natural 20 the spell is reflected to the caster.

Damage Reduction (Su): Soth's undead body is tough, giving the creature damage reduction 15/+1.

Immunities (Ex): Death knights are immune to cold, electricity, and polymorph in addition to those immunities possessed by undead (see undead traits, below).

Undead Traits: Lord Soth is immune to mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromantic effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects. He is not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, or death from massive damage. Soth has darkvision (60-foot range).

Turn Immunity (Ex): Lord Soth cannot be turned or dispelled, by a holy word, as he is trapped in the Demiplane of Dread and cannot be driven to another plane. Rather than being randomly transported within his domain he is slowed with for 2d4 rounds and suffers a -4 penalty on any attack rolls made during this time.

Shadow Walk (Su): Lord Soth can step into one shadow in Sithicus and emerge from another at a desired location within his domain as the spell shadow walk.

Indestructible (Ex): Soth cannot be destroyed because of powerful curse that binds him, instead he along with his equipment turns to mist when his hit points reach 0. He manifests on his throne room in Nedargaard Keep with his equipment after 2d6 days at full health. During this time, the borders of Sithicus remain open.

Summon Mount (Su): Once per day, as a full-round action, the death knight may summon a nightmare. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the death knight and remains for 24 hours or until dismissed as a free action. Each time the mount is summoned, it appears in full health regardless of damage it may have taken previously. If the mount is slain, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. Soth may not summon another nightmare for a year and a day after the former mount dies.

Vex
Male Nightmare, Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar)
; CR 11; HD 14d8+42; 118; Init +6; 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 90 ft. (good); AC 31 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +20 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 27; Base Atk +6/+16; Atk Hoof +11 melee (1d8+4 plus 1d4 fire); Full Atk 2 hooves +11 melee (1d8+6 plus 1d4 fire) and bite +5 melee (1d8+3); Spc/Rch: 10 ft./5 ft.; SA Flaming hooves, smoke; SQ Astral projection, darkvision 60 ft., etherealness, empathic link, improved evasion, share spells, speak with blackguard, blood bond, spell resistance 10, immunity to fire, confer fire resistance; AL NE; SV Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6;
Str 22, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 12

Skills: Bluff +19, Concentration +25, Diplomacy +5, Disguise +1 (+3 acting), Intimidate +21, Knowledge (arcana) +21, Knowledge (the planes) +21, Listen +21, Move Silently +20, Search +21, Sense Motive +19, Spot +21, Survival +19 (+21 on other planes and following tracks)

Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Run, Track

A nightmare can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also fight unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

A nightmare’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Flaming Hooves (Su): A blow from a nightmare’s hooves sets combustible materials alight.

Smoke (Su): During the excitement of battle, a nightmare snorts and neighs with rage. This snorting fills a 15-foot cone with a hot, sulfurous smoke that chokes and blinds opponents. Anyone in the cone must succeed on a DC 16 Fortitude save or take a -2 penalty on all attack and damage rolls until 1d6 minutes after leaving the cone. The cone lasts 1 round, and the nightmare uses it once as a free action during its turn each round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Because of the smoke it gives off, a nightmare has concealment against creatures 5 feet away and total concealment against creatures 10 feet or farther away. The smoke does not obscure the nightmare’s vision at all.

Astral Projection and Etherealness (Su): These abilities function just like the spells of the same names (caster level 20th); a nightmare can use either at will.

Empathic Link (Su): Lord Soth has an empathic link with his nightmare mount out to a distance of up to 1 mile. Lord Soth cannot see through the servant’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content can be communicated. Because of the empathic link between the nightmare and Soth, the deathknight has the same connection to a place or an item that the nightmare does.

Improved Evasion (Ex): If the nightmare is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage on a successful saving throw and only half damage on a failed saving throw. Improved evasion is an extraordinary ability.

Share Spells: At Lord Soth’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his mount. The nightmare must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the nightmare if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect it again even if the nightmare returns to Lord Soth before the duration expires. Additionally, Lord Soth may cast a spell with a target of “You” on his mount (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself. Lord Soth and his mount can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the servant’s type (outsider).

Speak with Blackguard (Ex): Lord Soth and jis nightmare mount can communicate verbally as if they were using a common language. Other creatures do not understand the communication without magical help.

Blood Bond (Ex): The nightmare gains a +2 bonus on all attack rolls, checks, and saves if it witnesses Lord Soth being threatened or harmed. This bonus lasts as long as the threat is immediate and apparent.

Spell Resistance (Ex): The nightmare has a spell resistance of 10. To affect the servant with a spell, another spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the nightmare’s spell resistance.

Confer Fire Resistance (Su): The nightmare can grant resistance to fire damage to anyone riding it.

Illumination: The nightmare sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

With the stats above Lord Soth would be able to "gate" the village of Kendralind and its inhabitants.
I had him know Draconic so he could interact with Strahd in KotBR novel and Abyssal since he was a servant of Takhisis.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:42 am Lord Soth was renowned as a Knight of the Sword and became a Knight of the Rose 4 years before his death. Thats why I created him with more fighter levels and less Knight of the Rose levels (also I needed the bonus feat).

Loren Soth, The Idealised Lord Soth
Male human Fighter 6/Cleric 1/Crown Knight 3/Sword Knight 3/ Rose Knight 2; CR 15; Medium (6'5") humanoid (human); HD 11d10+4d8+45; hp 122; Init (Dex +2, heroic initiative +1, improved initiative +4); Spd 20 ft.; AC 22 (Dex +2, plate mail +3) touch 12, flat-footed 20; Base Atk +13/+18; Atk +23 melee (1d10+10/17-20, +5 holy avenger bastard sword) ; Full Atk +23/+18/+13 melee (1d10+5/17-20, +5 holy avenger bastard sword) or 15 ranged (1d10, crit. 19/20 heavy crossbow); SA Strength of honor 1/day, smite evil 1/day, turn undead, divine spells; SQ knightly courage, rallying cry, detect evil, inspire courage, aura of good, aura of courage; AL "LG"; SV Fort +19, Ref +6, Will +11;
Str 21, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 17

Skills: Concentration +8, Diplomacy +11, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (religion) +6, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +10, Ride +17, Hide +7

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Cleave, Diehard, Endurance, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Honor-bound, Improved Critical (bastard sword), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Power Attack

Signature Possessions: half-plate +3, helm of etherealness, holy avenger bastard sword

Holy Avenger (Su): Lord Loren Soth owns a holy avenger bastard sword, this +2 cold iron bastard sword becomes a +5 holy cold iron bastard sword in his hands or the hands of a paladin. When wielded by Loren Soth, this sacred weapon provides spell resistance of 13 to the wielder and anyone adjacent to him. It also enables him to use greater dispel magic (once per round as a standard action) as an 8th level caster. Only the area dispel is possible, not the targeted dispel or counterspell versions of greater dispel magic.

Strength of Honor (Su): Once per day, Lord Loren Soth can gain a +4 morale bonus to his Strength score for a 6 rounds.

Aura of Courage (Su): As a Knight of Solamnia Lord Loren Soth applies +7 to his saving throws against fear effects. Allies within 10 feet of him gain a +4 morale bonus against these effect as well.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day Lord Loren Soth may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. He adds +3 to his attack roll and deals +3 extra points of damage. If he accidentally smites a non evil creature, the smite has no effect but is still used up for the day.

Aura of Good (Ex): The power of Lord Loren Soth's aura of good is 6.

Turn Undead (Su): Lord Loren Soth has the supernatural ability to turn undead. He can use this ability 6 times per day. He turns undead as a 3rd level cleric.

Rallying Cry (Su): Lord Loren Soth may as a free action, utter a powerful shout that causes all allies within 60 feet to gain a +1 morale bonus on their next attack roll and increases their base spedd by 5 feet on their next action. Rallying cry is a mind-affecting ability that may be used up to three times per day. It affects only allies who can hear the Knight's cry.

Inspire Courage (Su): Lord Loren Soth can inspire courage to his allies and himself twice per day, bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the Rose knight speak. The effect lasts as long as the ally hears the Rose Knight continue to speak and for 5 rounds thereafter. While speaking Soth can fight but cannot cast spells, activate magical items by spell completion (such as scrolls) or activate magic items by magic words (such as wands). Affected allies gain a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. Inspire courage is a mind effecting ability.

Spellcasting: Lord Loren Soth has the spellcasting abilities of a 6th level cleric but due to his low Wisdom score he is able to cast only five 0-level spells.

Favourite spells: cure minor wounds, detect magic, guidance, read magic, resistance

Languages: Common, Solamnic, Silvanesti (Sithican)

Signature possessions: Helmet of etherealness, half-plate mail +3, holy avenger bastard sword

The Blessed Knight of Sithicus
Stats same as above with the following changes

Special Attacks
  • Modify Memory (Su): This ability works just as the modify memory spell, except that the Blessed Knight can modify up to 1 hour of memory. Just like the spell the Blessed Knight mustspend an equal amount of time visualising the memory to be changed.

Phantasmal Weapon (Su): At will as a free action, the Blessed Knight can make his sword phantasmal making it able to pass through armor and solid protection (such as chain mail or natural armor)
    allowing the Blessed Knight to strike its opponents with nothing more than a touch attack.
Special Qualities
  • Shadowstuff Subtype: Immune to polymorph, charm, domination, sleep, and all other mind-affecting and body alteration magic.

Shadow Walk (Su): The Blessed Knight can shadow walk as the spell at will to any shadow within a mile from Nedargaard Keep.

Trackless Step (Su): The Blessed Knight leaves neither tracks nor incidental signs of his passing. Any attempts to track him down using the Survival skill, as well as attempts to find clues of his passing using a Search skill, fail. Anyone trying to spy the Blessed Knight by scrying, sees the image of a black void. The Blessed Knight can purposefully leave signs intentionally that can be found by normal means.

Speechless (Ex): The Blessed Knight is incapable of speech and cannot use any ability or skill that requires him to talk such as rallying cry, inspire courage and spellcasting.

Armor Class: The Blessed Knight's natural armor increases by +2.
This is almost how I would envision a 3.5 version of my knight of the White Rose redeemed Soth, current lightlord of Sithicus, beside the fact he is still a Deathknight.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I find Soth being CR23 too much and his nightmare being CR11 extreme. A CR6 nightmare should be good enough.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:19 pm I find Soth being CR23 too much and his nightmare being CR11 extreme. A CR6 nightmare should be good enough.
Well to make Lord Soth work as an ex-Knight of the Rose he has to be high level and then he has centuries of undeath as a blackguard. He is 20 level (one of the reasons he throws a 20-die fireball) and as a death knight he gains a +3 CR.

I made the change of needing that smoking sceptre he holds in most images to cast the 20-dice fireball though, so that PC's might be a chance to avoid being attacked by this power.

Don't forget the with the massive damage fireball and power word death he can easily dispose a minimum of 2 PC's in two rounds, thus the 23CR.

The Nightmare as a Blackguard’s Fiendish Servant of a 20th level character gains HD+8, Natural Armor Adj +7, Str Adj.+4, Int 9 but nightmares already have 13, so I boost it a bit. Basically I used most of Nightmare, Cauchemar stats but without making it a huge outsider. Also the nightmare has some extra powers through its empathic link with the ex-Solamnic knight (although neither the outsider nor the death knight have actual empathy :Brain:).

I am also planning to make a 9th level ex paladin 6th level blackguard as is given in 3e Ravenloft. This will be more easy to use for a conversion of When Black Roses Bloom, I guess that will be closer to your taste, but still the nightmare should gain by 3e blackguard class standards
Bonus HD +6 Natural Armor Adj. +5 Str Adj. +3 Int 8