Additional monsters for Hazlan

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Additional monsters for Hazlan

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Ethereal Marauder
Fortunately they usually hunt alone. They can be encountered close to the Misty Border in the southern parts of the domain.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

The image isn't showing up for us Meph but it definitely fits the weird fiction/horror themes you're going for!

EDIT: I see it now!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Rogue familiars. When a spellcaster is killed usually a familiar devolve to its natural state, but in area of particularly wild magic ( or if the Mists are involved) a familiar can go rogue, retaining its enhanced abilities and developing a proactive personality ( often malevolent and revengful)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mistmaster wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:43 pm Rogue familiars. When a spellcaster is killed usually a familiar devolve to its natural state, but in area of particularly wild magic ( or if the Mists are involved) a familiar can go rogue, retaining its enhanced abilities and developing a proactive personality ( often malevolent and revengful)
I love that, and I would like to add that familiars are evil in Ravenloft.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

alhoon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:56 pm
Mistmaster wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:43 pm Rogue familiars. When a spellcaster is killed usually a familiar devolve to its natural state, but in area of particularly wild magic ( or if the Mists are involved) a familiar can go rogue, retaining its enhanced abilities and developing a proactive personality ( often malevolent and revengful)
I love that, and I would like to add that familiars are evil in Ravenloft.
Yes, not in the Mistworld thought but I did developed the Redeemed Familiar feat to avoid that problem in a canon abiding scenario.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Abyssal Chicken

Gnome Squidling
Hunted from Bluetspur years ago escaped to Hazlan it is a good adversary for a low level adventure were the DM can introduce the realms beyond...

Sorrowsworn, the Wretched
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nothic
Nothics were aberrant creatures variously said to have drifted into the Material plane from the Far Realm, or to have been created from wizards who, in their research of arcane secrets, stumbled across a curse left by Vecna. If the latter was true, then nothics retained no awareness of their former selves but were nonetheless driven by half-remembered memories and desires they no longer understood.

This seems also appropriate for post-GC Hazlan and its many experimenting wizards.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Somewhere I have made a "Dread Nothic"... I don't remember where. I think it is... in a thread somewhere in the 20 years of this board.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:44 am Oh, you wanted aberration or bizarre looking ones? I didn't catch that.
There were a kind of aberration or monster, I don't remember what, that was lying a flying carrion crawler, in short: Tentacles that paralyze and a beak. I don't remember the name. They were like a floating small body with tentacles and a beak.
EDIT: Grells!
From https://www.cracked.com/article_25119_t ... story.html
Although I don't agree with the whole list (for obvious reasons :Brain:) it has some good points...

The Grell is a floating beaked brain with jellyfish tentacles.

Where It Went Wrong:

So the D&D world really uses the whole "floating" thing as a crutch to make ridiculous-looking monsters that would never be able to travel on land unless they were strapped into a car seat in the back of a Chevy Malibu. Also, while the Grell is undoubtedly suited for the task of scaring nine-year-olds, we don't feel it would pose a serious challenge to a seven-foot-tall barbarian warrior that drinks the blood of the fallen. That head has the look of something he could incapacitate by poking it really hard with his finger.

:mrgreen:
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Neh-thalggu
Neh-thalggu were solitary creature known to live on the Material plane, Astral plane, Ethereal plane, and the Demiplane of Nightmares. On the first in particular they were known to prefer ruins or caverns where there was little light and minimal disturbances. However, the homeplane of the neh-thalggu was unknown.

Mobogo (any swamps in Hazlan?..., well there must be.)

Tophet (construct) I imagine one existing in Bordene (The Tables)

Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Actually, constructs gone wrong after their creator died - or constructs subtly sabotaged by rivals to eventually go berserk and attack their creator and kill him - make good additions to Hazlan. Flesh golems, that have a good chance to go gaga, are a good addition IMO and ... they don't have to be humans. A two headed abomination with some parts made of bone or chitin, bumping its CR would be interesting, I think, and thematic.

There are also Simulacra. In 5th edition you can have only one simulacrum. Not so in previous ones. I had a lich that had 5 simulacra using wands and innate powers.
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Speaking of familiars and Hazlan etc:

This is inspired from the rat-familiar thing in Lovecraft's "The Dreams in the Witch House"

Name: Grimwhisker

Type: Monstrosity

Description:
The Grimwhisker is a nightmarish fusion of rat and man, born from the darkest corners of magic and despair. It stands on four gnarled, clawed feet, its body covered in a patchwork of matted, unkempt fur that seems to writhe in the faintest light. The creature's face is a horror to behold, bearing the structure of a human visage stretched and twisted into a rat-like countenance. Its eyes, deep and unsettling, hold a spark of malevolent intelligence; they shimmer with a dark light, reflecting its hunger for chaos and suffering. The Grimwhisker's mouth, a grotesque aperture lined with needle-like teeth.
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:32 pm Speaking of familiars and Hazlan etc:
Name: Grimwhisker
Unsettling... :renier:
:mrgreen:
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Reaper miniatures Chronoscope have these miniatures called Bathalian which is a name they made out for Illithids. I believe these monsters could be how the El-Koth look like. They resemble a hybrid of mind flayers and Zerg hydralisk's from the Starcraft game.

Zerg have two cell types at birth — one which creates random mutations, and another that hunts these mutations — the result being that any mutations that survive are the strongest of all. Despite being a hive-minded species, the Zerg understand the principles of evolution and incorporate this into the development of their species. Zerg purposely situate themselves in harsh climates in order to further their own evolution through natural selection. Only the strongest with the best mutations survive, and they assimilate only the strongest species into their gene pool.

https://www.prawnshacienda.com/showcase ... Bathalians