Ideal Ravenloft Videogame

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Galeros
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ideal Ravenloft Videogame

Post by Galeros »

What does your ideal Ravenloft videogame look like? I would love a classic Survival Horror game like the older Resident Evils, or for a newer game like this check out Tormented Souls.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ideal Ravenloft Videogame

Post by Speedwagon »

That's a tough question to ask, but a fun one! If I had to say, there are multiple ideas (though each should have a strong horror theme):

1. An MMORPG in the style of the "Prisoners of the Mists" roleplaying server in the Neverwinter Nights game, but with the most updated graphics of today's tech and with the 3.X ruleset. Every domain in 3e (and even the ones from 2e that might not have been explicitly mentioned to have made the jump to 3e like Nosos or Farelle or I'Cath) would be discoverable and follow the lore of the 3e gazetteers (or as close to it as possible, like the lore of the FoS netbook gazetteers), the world would be immense, the player-base would be a mix of hardcore roleplayers and casuals (with different servers depending on what you wanted to get out of it) and the game would be highly responsive and malleable to change (perhaps made possible with AI advancements in NPC scripting; the future of video games looks insane, as a side note) so the impacts of each player's actions can be felt by other players.

2. A Baldur's Gate 3 DLC taking place in 5e Barovia, and/or with reference (and maybe even playability) in 5e Bluetspur. Given that BG3 is already super amazing and I love it, this would be really cool too.

3. A single-player, narrative driven game taking place in Borca or Richemulot. Something like A Plague Tale: Innocence or even Amnesia: The Dark Descent and other titles in those franchises.

4. The same thing as above but for Falkovnia, maybe something like Kingdom Come: Deliverance or Tyranny?

5. A horror game based on sailing the Sea of Sorrows and acquiring certain things from each domain. The Dominia section would be like Outlast, the Blaustein section would be like pirate games, and the Ghastria section can be like Layers of Fear.

6. A surreal Nightmare Lands video game that takes cues from Fran Bow or Little Nightmares and other, myriad "indie" horror games with interesting mechanics (the types you could find a YouTuber like Markiplier playing and reviewing and could be found on Steam or on Gamejolt or somewhere else).

7. A folk horror game taking place in Tepest, like The VVitch or even a Verbrek/Kartakass/Vorostokov game like Until Dawn or Kholat.

8. A Steaming Lands game with breathtaking visuals and platforming like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

9. A Scattered Lotus video game in I'Cath or Rokushima no Taiyō that takes cues from the likes of Ghosts of Tsushima or J-Horror like Fatal Frame (though in I'Cath's case it would be more Chinese ghost stories).

Honestly, sky's the limit! Each domain could have a really thematically appropriate and good video game going for it, though that would be more of a "weekend in hell" approach compared to something cohesive. But it's possible---just look at Ravenloft: The Stone Prophet and how it expanded Har'Akir!
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

Fatal Frame elements would be great. A Plague Tale too.

For a general RL videogame I would go with something like Bloodborne, but with more RPG elements than soulslike. Or even some improved elements from Vampyr (the game had potential, but the gameplay was not so good).

Silent Hill 4: The Room style would work in a pocket domain.

Now, there is a game I really love: Ultima 8: Pagan. Its an old game, but the general premise is that you are trapped in another world and must find a way to get back to your world. Much of the game is resolved through dialogue and exploration rather than combat. Just add the RL horror elements and it would work great.

A recent game that surprised me was Ghostwire: Tokyo. Something in that line would work with Rokushima Taiyoo or even Mordent.

Oh, I almost forgot, Planescape: Torment... just do the same thing, but in Ravenloft.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I will be different and say a visual novel / make your own adventure game, with choices and just a little combat.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I'm old-fashioned like this, but I'd like a game in the style of Sierra's Quest for-games. There's a plot, there's social interaction, but there's room to roam around and look around and plenty of combat, too.
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

I just remembered a game I played last year. It is called The Council. You play as an occultist investigator going to a council in a secret island in search of his missing mother.
The game remembers a visual novel, but not so limited (you can explore some specific parts of the island and the manor in each chapter). It also features many historical figures (such as Napoleon Bonaparte, George Washington, among others) and secret orders, as the Golden Dawn. I´m not going to spoil the plot, but as the story progresses, it delves more and more into supernatural elements, with some plots that are reminiscent of the Gentleman Caller.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:42 am I'm old-fashioned like this, but I'd like a game in the style of Sierra's Quest for-games. There's a plot, there's social interaction, but there's room to roam around and look around and plenty of combat, too.
Indeed, a "quest for Glory" like adventure, would be very good too. Or any kind of dark adventure with enough free-roaming and minigames (which could be for combat or skill challenges)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Lucius wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:53 am I just remembered a game I played last year. It is called The Council. You play as an occultist investigator going to a council in a secret island in search of his missing mother.
The game remembers a visual novel, but not so limited (you can explore some specific parts of the island and the manor in each chapter). It also features many historical figures (such as Napoleon Bonaparte, George Washington, among others) and secret orders, as the Golden Dawn. I´m not going to spoil the plot, but as the story progresses, it delves more and more into supernatural elements, with some plots that are reminiscent of the Gentleman Caller.
This gives me an idea for a adventure scenario
VIEW CONTENT:
involving the Gentleman's Caller 14th child (a Half-Viastana PC) he is the "best" of his children in that there are no fiend qualities on the PC as well as being whatever alignment the player wants the character to be, does though possess Dukkar qualities such as card reading though the character believes himself to be a charlatan.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Lucius wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:53 am I just remembered a game I played last year. It is called The Council. You play as an occultist investigator going to a council in a secret island in search of his missing mother.
The council... I dropped it a bit over halfway. It starts interesting but I gradually lost interest. The puzzles weren't to my liking either.
My DMGuild work!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Something in the style of the Telltale games.

Or something like Supermassive Games Until Dawn or The Quarry would be the best bet I reckon.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

A game like Uncharted Waters where you can immerse yourself in the economics of the game and just try to make money traveling and selling, but also could pull on threads of adventure and end up down rabbit holes. Total sandbox without leveling of encounters so you'd have to know you can't just storm through every door like Zelda. That would create a layer of horror as you don't know what could kill you.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

What, no one wants a 3d fighting game pitting Strahd's team of warriors against Soth's team in a battle to the death? ;)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

It'd have a job living up to the battle described in Knight of the Black Rose, when Soth besieged Castle Ravenloft with only Azrael at his side ... and Strahd resorted to trickery to make him stop, rather than face him directly.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Tarokka Solitaire...
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I think Ravenloft has been converted to a module for NWN. (Neverwinter nights)

Here I found one two-part:
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... -ravenloft
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... eyond-gate
My DMGuild work!