Intrigue and secrecy in a venice

Discussing all things Ravenloft
samsonwilliams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Intrigue and secrecy in a venice

Post by samsonwilliams »

I was thinking of the horror of masks, storys they show up in. I was thinking a domain that has masks as a prominent cultural aspect.
a Venice/Greece sort of culture, the nobles ware masks to almost all social events, commoners have festivals in masks, a lot of politics and spying, art and secrets.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Intrigue andsecrecy in a vince

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Did you mean Venice? ^^;
LeMaxul
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Intrigue andsecrecy in a vince

Post by LeMaxul »

The masquerade theme was emphasized in Dementlieu with 5e VRGtR. You may want to check that out.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Intrigue and secrecy in a venice

Post by Speedwagon »

Masks, and the general themes of intrigue and secrecy, might also find themselves in another place that most might not have thought of: Nosos. Not just the masks that the nobles of that toxic place wear for social events, but the regular masks to avoid infection (think of the Pandemic times) or gas masks for those in the mines and so on. In fact, I think one could put a really cool character like Saidra and the themes of 5e Dementlieu in Nosos, if you don't feel like using 5e Dementlieu as written in your canon (though I do like the thematics of that domain, I'm just offering alternatives).
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Intrigue and secrecy in a venice

Post by alhoon »

You can't beat 5e Dementlieu when it comes to Masks and intrigue IMO. I would suggest making it larger, though with farmland and a few villages outside the city as well as using ... someone's idea (I don't remember whom) that Mirror Dementlieu (5e island of terror) and Core Dementlieu (gaz) are so close that pantries connect in a way, with Core Dem unwittingly feeding the large city that exists in mirror to theirs.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!