Heroes of Light.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: Back to Gaby though, to summarise her acts over the years, I am willing to have a go.

1. She abandoned her mother and had her eaten by werewolves.

2. She murdered someone in cold blood, even if he was a werewolf dark lord.

3. She shattered the hopes, dreams and happiness of dozens of couples, inadvertantly creating a serial killer in doing so.

4. She gave birth to the Dukkar, even if he did turn on her.

5. She has played her to largest sources of aid against each other to keep their support.
1. Ok.
2. He was a werewolf who was going to kill her. Even with 3.5 Ravenloft rules, this is hardly a 1% power check. Almost every character in a Ravenloft game has done similar (and worst ) things.
3.I don't know about the serial killer thing (is it in Gaz IV?). Yes, IMO, this is the only indication of continuing evil from her part, but this is sooo human and common. And I think that in the last 5 years she has restricted herself to the double-game (the wolfwere and the rebel). In fact, the Gaz IV says "she found herself returning the affection" to the wolfwere, implying some kind of true emotion.
4.She is not to blame for this.
5. Well, that's pure politics. And I don't think they are against each other. They are fighting a common foe.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:
Rotipher wrote:Except that they didn't start out as hags. They're once-human women who killed and ate people because it provided them a few laughs and an easy living to do so; they *became* hags because they engaged in these evil practices, not vice versa.
All Hags in Ravenloft start out as human, or those carrying the genetic seed that would have them become hags later in life. I could see the Three Hags of Tepest being the same. VRG to Witches explains this pretty well.

However, whether this rings true for the Three Hags is uncertain, but I think it would be pretty nice (and more complete to the setting) if it was, even if they are from another world.
Reading their story on the Gaz V I think is clear on their genetical inclination towards hag(dom).
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Mortepierre wrote: Thank you for providing us with a perfect example of what a human charmed by Gabrielle would say to defend her actions :gabrielle:
Me? Oh, how you dare to say so? I am just a simple gentleman trying to defend the honour of the brightest star of the night sky.
:mrgreen:
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

tec-goblin wrote:3.I don't know about the serial killer thing (is it in Gaz IV?). Yes, IMO, this is the only indication of continuing evil from her part, but this is sooo human and common. And I think that in the last 5 years she has restricted herself to the double-game (the wolfwere and the rebel). In fact, the Gaz IV says "she found herself returning the affection" to the wolfwere, implying some kind of true emotion.
I think there might have been a short blurb about the Midnight Slasher in Gaz IV, but the main story is in TEE and RLMCII. In short, IIRC, Gabby used her powers to seduce a man, and made sure his wife saw them together, then used her powers further to enflame them both into rage and kill each other. Their young daughter was traumatized and took to "avenging" herself against anyone she saw as a threat to families or children.

Another greatly evil act she did was ruin a wedding in TEE by using her powers to seduce the groom, and letting the brother of the bride see them together. This caused the brother to challenge the groom to a duel during the wedding, and Gabby poisoned the blades. (killing both unless the PC's intervene).

These are meant to be just examples of a pattern of behavior that she enjoys on a regular basis. Her methods may be gentle seeming, but she is a rapist and murderer nonetheless.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

And that is her favourite way of passing the time, not exactly normal human behaviour. Only the sickest and most depraved would truly get satisfaction from carrying out such acts. If she hadn't already been a dark lord at the time, I'm sure those habits would have earned her a domain soon enough.

TEE also feaures a scene her the Midnight Slasher attempts to kill Gabby. Since she had charmed half of the party when I ran TEE, they soon leapt to her defence, but the Slasher escaped.

As for what it was on genetics with hags in Gaz V I wouldn't know since I don't have the book yet :(
Swallow your soul!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

I think the genetics notion was more from VRGWitches. I do seem to remember, though (again, I'm at the place I sleep at 'til I can climb stairs properly so I don't have my books) that the Sisters Mindefisk were foundlings, so their real mother is an unknown.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I can check now to see if anything I have (since I am missing Gaz V for the time being) has anything on the origins of the Three Hags... Yep, Laveeda, Leticia and Lorinda were found on the doorstep to the Mindefisk farm one morning in a wicker nasket after Rudella prayed for daughters three nights running. Seems to me it is logical enough for them to be genetic hags awaiting to Change later in life.
Swallow your soul!
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Seems to me it is logical enough for them to be genetic hags awaiting to Change later in life.
A case can be made, but I'm against this in principle because this lessens the gravity of what they did and how they became DL's. If they were just 'born evil,' why did they become DL's for acting on their natures?

My only real counterargument, though, is to point out that the sisters changed as they entered RL, which was when they were still teenagers.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Well, its tough enough to defend the Hags' right to darklordship, considering that when all is said and done, their just typical of their species.

All said and done, hags are really evil, but as a race they are just so malign that its nigh impossible for a covey to stand apart.

Of course, a creature like Semain, for example, would make a better darklord for Tepest.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

"The girls became hideous hags and the darklords of the new domain of Tepest." quoted from Gaz V

I think it clearly shows (IMHO) that becoming hags was the major part of their curse and that they weren't hags geneticaly
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:And that is her favourite way of passing the time, not exactly normal human behaviour. Only the sickest and most depraved would truly get satisfaction from carrying out such acts. If she hadn't already been a dark lord at the time, I'm sure those habits would have earned her a domain soon enough.

TEE also feaures a scene her the Midnight Slasher attempts to kill Gabby. Since she had charmed half of the party when I ran TEE, they soon leapt to her defence, but the Slasher escaped.

As for what it was on genetics with hags in Gaz V I wouldn't know since I don't have the book yet :(
Well, ok, but if someone is based strictly on Gaz V, Gabrielle looks almost innocent.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

tec-goblin wrote:Well, ok, but if someone is based strictly on Gaz V, Gabrielle looks almost innocent.
She is innocent, she told me so herself in many of thsoe dreams I have of her ;) lol.

Semain would have made a very good dark lord though, she was evil even compared to the rest of her kind.

As for the sisters becoming hags, there is no real proof to say they weren't genetic hags, so it could be possible for the DP's to push forward their change when they did become the dark lords of Tepest. Likewise, all the evidence of them being genetic hags is circumstantial, but I like them to be genetic hags in my Ravenloft at least :)
Swallow your soul!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

If they were hags genetically, why did the three sisters become three different types?
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Reginald de Curry wrote:If they were hags genetically, why did the three sisters become three different types?
Perhaps they are the ur-Hags of Ravenloft, the mothers of all hagkind born in the land (as opposed to wandering in, like Styrix). In this case, they might NOT have started out as genetic hags themselves.

ETA: D'oh! That "NOT" was the whole point of my post there. How'd I miss it? :oops:
Last edited by Brandi on Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:
She is innocent, she told me so herself in many of thsoe dreams I have of her ;) lol.
I prefer Ivana Boritsi in my dreams than Gabrielle. :wink:
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.