Domain confusion

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
BlueLife

Domain confusion

Post by BlueLife »

I'm a little confused with how you master domains. For example, if I begin with a Medium, do I have to wait till level 3 to begin study of a new domain (gaining major access to Divination domain in level 2), or do I have to be capable of casting all minor spells in the domain?
YokoburiKinura
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by YokoburiKinura »

Well, let's see if I can work through it from how it was done in 2E.

1. From A Guide to Gothic Earth, pp. 65-66: "Whenever a mystic attains a new level, his ability to cast spells increases.... When a character is created, the player must select one sphere as the character's sphere of research. This may be a sphere to which he has (or doesn't have) access.... If the character continues study in a sphere to which he has minor access, the PC gains major access to that sphere when he reaches the next level. If the character researched a new sphere, (she) gains minor access... at the next experience level."

2. On p. 103 of the same book, we learn that "the medium's first studies (after abandoning or completing study of the All sphere) must be the Divination sphere. The medium can begin to study other spheres only after he has acquired major access to the Divination sphere."

So - at first level, if they have an All domain, you start with minor access to it. At second level, you can choose to either finish the All domain or move on to minor access of the Divination domain. If you finish the All domain, at third level you'll gain minor access to Divination, if not, it'll be major access. This means that if you abandon the All domain early, you'll be able to gain access to a domain of your choice when you gain fourth level. If you finish the All domain, you won't get into your new domain until fifth level.

If there is no All or Universal Sphere in the rules you're using, or if they've loosened up on sphere research rules, then I can only speculate that you'd start with minor access to Divination and then finish it at second level, getting minor access to a new domain at third. But I don't see the writers not including such a domain.