The Great Falling Out

Discussing all things Ravenloft
monty--
Conspirator
Conspirator

The Great Falling Out

Post by monty-- »

huh? from the impression i had (i'm probably wrong), Ravenloft splits from WOTC. Arthuas come on board and now the kargatane (or is that Kargat?) have fell out with Arthuas. heck, i wanted more modules...
oh, being extremely nosey but, anyone know why they fell out?
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Great Falling Out

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

monty-- wrote:huh? from the impression i had (i'm probably wrong), Ravenloft splits from WOTC. Arthuas come on board and now the kargatane (or is that Kargat?) have fell out with Arthuas. heck, i wanted more modules...
oh, being extremely nosey but, anyone know why they fell out?
I think it boils down to two words "Creative Differences."

The K had different ideas to the direction of Ravenloft, plus they didn't like seeing their work undermined by shoddy, half-arsed attempts at books (such as everything written in the Gaz 1 about Barovia being undermined by the presence of the Eben Gargoyle in the gods awful Champions of Darkness. Have I mentioned I don't like that book?). That's what I think happened, by what different members of the K have said on different occasions.

Personally, I think it'd be uncouth to ask for more details.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

To answer the question about modules - the powers that be have explained that modules do not typically sell well on the market. Thus, no new Ravenloft modules have been planned.

Now, before people start pulling out the "corporate conspiracy" card and bemoaning that the gaming industry is being ruined by "the Man," understand that any game company has to make a living. And if modules don't sell well at all, well, that's a problem.

Now, that being said, fans across the web and at conventions have been pleading for modules, so I know of an upcoming product that will help address this need. I don't know much more about it, so I can't say much more.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Also, on the matter of modules, I am certain that we have 150+ DM's on these boards who write adventures for their games frequently. Perhaps we could coax a few of you into dressing them up a little and submitting them to the site or QtR?
Swallow your soul!
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Yeah and not only lot's of DM's but unlike Arthaus at least we play the freakin game we write about...
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

Desertrising wrote:Yeah and not only lot's of DM's but unlike Arthaus at least we play the freakin game we write about...
I don't play? That's going to surprise the hell out of my Monday night game group. Do you know something I don't? Or maybe you're just talking without having anything to base the blather on
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Jackie and Nikky have also said a good number of times that they are long time fans of the setting and I doubt they would be just fans who hadn't played the setting a good number of times.
Swallow your soul!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I think alot of the authors might have played and DM'd the setting, but I doubt many of them understand the setting. So far, the best newcomer authors are Rucht and Ryan, and Ryan was a member of the K (obviously, Steve Miller is not included in this, he has a grasp of the setting that far out-weighs any current writer. Hell, he re-wrote the setting).
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Why thank you.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Desertrising wrote:Yeah and not only lot's of DM's but unlike Arthaus at least we play the freakin game we write about...
Have you really looked into the people you're talking about before saying this? There's nobody, but NOBODY, who writes for RL who hasn't played it. To paraphrase JWM: "Don't let not knowing what you're talking about stop you from talking."

Different people play the game differently, and are therefore going to write different things. IMNSHO the creator of the most of the unpopular stuff from CoD would have got along fine with whoever invented the Requiem. Going all the way back to Feast of Goblyns there have been differences of opinion among authors and players so drastic that the seem like two different games.

People disagree, but it's no reason to say they've never played the game.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Okay, I think 40 lashes are enough. Let's not hear any more about this unfortunate exaggeration.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

ScS, Dru says you need to stop stealing her job or the next 40- lashes have your name on them.
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Rucht Lilavivat wrote:Now, that being said, fans across the web and at conventions have been pleading for modules, so I know of an upcoming product that will help address this need. I don't know much more about it, so I can't say much more.
And also in this very site, there is the "A calling from Verbek". It seems professional work to me! Interior art is fine, cover is fine, plot is fine.

Also the "shadow of the knife" is another free very good module.

And in the QtR as Wiccy said more modules (although shorter) come out regularly.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Rucht Lilavivat wrote:Now, that being said, fans across the web and at conventions have been pleading for modules, so I know of an upcoming product that will help address this need. I don't know much more about it, so I can't say much more.
This would be the Dark Tales (I forget the rest of the title) book, the theme of the book has already been given away ;)
Swallow your soul!
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends