Legacy of The Blood: Review

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Steve Miller: Writer of Errors
:wink:
Only one goof though? That's still better than Domains of Dread. But don't worry, I'm sure you can top that yet. Maybe something with the Fang of Nosferatu...
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

The Jester wrote:Steve Miller: Writer of Errors
:wink:
When I get rushed, little things slip by me. That's why working with Miranda Horner was a joy. When I screwed up, she typically caught it and came back to me with questions.
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Re: Wow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Tobias Blackburn wrote: I'd love to see them cover the Wachters, and probably that family that Azalin has dealing with in King of the Dead and Lord of the Necropolis.
For that matter, I'd love to see some coverage of Azalin's clone-offspring. Allegedly there were a lot of them besides the guy who became the Necropolis darklord, so they'd make an interesting "family" to document ... especially if their supernatural origin has caused many of them to be born as calibans and/or sorcerers.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Rotipher wrote: For that matter, I'd love to see some coverage of Azalin's clone-offspring. Allegedly there were a lot of them besides the guy who became the Necropolis darklord, so they'd make an interesting "family" to document ... especially if their supernatural origin has caused many of them to be born as calibans and/or sorcerers.
I forgot all about them! I would say that they would either be human or caliban, so no half-elves/vistani. The main problem is acceptance... at least at any level past the original clone. I can see Azalin watching out for his clones and nuturing their powers (in order to use them later), but I'm not so sure about their offspring.

Of course, it could be interesting if one of the clone's sons bears a remarkable resemblance to Erik. :twisted:
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Tobias Blackburn wrote: I'd love to see them cover the Wachters, and probably that family that Azalin has dealing with in King of the Dead and Lord of the Necropolis. If anything, the book gives you a very good idea about how to create family traits.
I'd love to see any families of Darkon. Supposedly there are nobles that swear fealty to Azalin, but aside from the ones in Tower of Doom, and the DeWeese novels, we don't know much about them. (Unless my memory of Gaz II is fogging up).
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
DarkDuo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkDuo »

Tobias,
Thanks for the wonderful review of Legacy of the Blood! We just received our copies yesterday. Seeing it as a .pdf proof is one thing. Seeing it "in the flesh" is another.
We are very very proud of our authors: Steve Miller, Anthony Pryor and Penny & Skip Williams (who write as a creative team). Their devotion to this project was exemplary and the contributions were stellar. Also, Scott Holden-Jones not only provided excellent editing, but helped us balance out the advantages/disadvantages for the families -- a rare find in an editor!

For those who are interested, Penny and Skip Williams did the Mordenheim chapter. They also wrote the chapter on Godefroy, if my memory serves me correctly.

Jackie & Nicky
The problem with poetic justice is it doesn't know when to stop.
-- Barry Hughart, Bridge of Birds
Klaus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Klaus »

Wow, if Scott "Red Baron" Holden-Jones is the editor, I have high hopes for this book! I know he always makes the stuff I write look better!

C'mon artist copies, c'mon!
Claudio Pozas
http://welcome.to/pozas
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Thanks for the response DarkDuo, pass my kudos on to the other authors who don't happen to show up on these boards.

Just as a note, I've spotted one other editing mistake. On the Divine Exorcist table, it lists the 7th level ability as Smite Dominator +1/day instead of Smite Controller +1/day. The ability is explained properly under Smite Controller though, so there isn't a problem.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
DarkDuo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkDuo »

Klaus wrote:Wow, if Scott "Red Baron" Holden-Jones is the editor, I have high hopes for this book! I know he always makes the stuff I write look better!

C'mon artist copies, c'mon!

Scott is so good, isn't he!

Also, I've wanted to tell you that I love your artwork. Your use of light makes your work absolutely luminous! Thanks for your contributions to Ravenloft.

Jackie

I assume your artist copies will come to you shortly. They come direct from the warehouse and I think the art director takes care of making sure they get sent.
DarkDuo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkDuo »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:Thanks for the response DarkDuo, pass my kudos on to the other authors who don't happen to show up on these boards.

Just as a note, I've spotted one other editing mistake. On the Divine Exorcist table, it lists the 7th level ability as Smite Dominator +1/day instead of Smite Controller +1/day. The ability is explained properly under Smite Controller though, so there isn't a problem.
I'll certainly pass the word.

Ack! That's what comes from looking at something so many times you think you see the right word...
Got liquid paper? :)

Jackie
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

I think I'll get this book after Christmas. A pity as I want it now but I dont know if someone is giving it to me.

That and I have no money.

Its funny as well because the new adventure I am writing revolves around a family reunion and blood ties.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Klaus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Klaus »

DarkDuo wrote:Scott is so good, isn't he!

Also, I've wanted to tell you that I love your artwork. Your use of light makes your work absolutely luminous! Thanks for your contributions to Ravenloft.

Jackie

I assume your artist copies will come to you shortly. They come direct from the warehouse and I think the art director takes care of making sure they get sent.
Scott is a master!

Thanks, Jackie! It's been a privilege to contribute to a setting that has entertained me for so long (I still have my Black Box and my original Tarokka and Dikesha!).

Hopefully I'll get LoB soon, along with Gaz. V. I already got my MotRD (my longest-running game was a MotRD campaign).
Claudio Pozas
http://welcome.to/pozas
Desmond LaRouche
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Desmond LaRouche »

Very, very interesting. I find the aspect of allowing characters to belong to certain families intriguing.

This may be a dated reference, but one of the little gems of Domains of Dread Nova Vaasa was a slim possibility of belonging to the ruling families based on percentile die rolls at character creation. I thought a player character belonging to the Hiregaard family-and potentially becoming the next Malken depending on circumstances- was very neat.

In short, it's good to see certain concepts being used again. :)
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

Look at them nobles, that's the way you do it.
You kill some peasants, then take afternoon tea.

I want my...
I want my...
I want my Ell-Oh-Bee!

(I can't find it at any bookstores within reasonable distance of my home OR office, so I'll have to wait for my contributor copy to show up in the post.)
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

And yet Canucks like me already have theirs.

Barely had a chance to flip through it so far (essays to finish first... I've seen enough William Blake tonight to last me a lifetime), but like most 'loft products I'll give it a nice l'il review when I find the time.

Am I the only one though who doesn't want to see a sequel though?
Don't get me wrong, great idea & sound concept but I'd still like to see more and varied product from all over instead of 3-4 repeated over and over...
The VRGs are varied enough as are the Gaz and a VRArsenal vol2 would be nice but there are some many dark corners that have been completely untouched I'd rather see some attention paid too.