Legacy of The Blood: Review

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

David of the Frat wrote:Am I the only one though who doesn't want to see a sequel though?
Don't get me wrong, great idea & sound concept but I'd still like to see more and varied product from all over instead of 3-4 repeated over and over...
Hopefully those aren't the only two options! Some things bear repeating--like the VRG series--and others don't. IMO this is one that has plenty of room for a sequel.

Even as it was, there was room to expand these families even further. On the Mordenheim side, I'd like to see the von Brandthofens, especially Elise's neice Katrina, who was featured in Bride of Mordenheim. These updates are the perfect opportunity to go back and retcon all the salvageable bits out of otherwise awkward material, and Katrina IMO was a diamond in the rough.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
DarkDuo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkDuo »

DeepShadow wrote:
David of the Frat wrote:Am I the only one though who doesn't want to see a sequel though?
Don't get me wrong, great idea & sound concept but I'd still like to see more and varied product from all over instead of 3-4 repeated over and over...
Hopefully those aren't the only two options! Some things bear repeating--like the VRG series--and others don't. IMO this is one that has plenty of room for a sequel.

Even as it was, there was room to expand these families even further. On the Mordenheim side, I'd like to see the von Brandthofens, especially Elise's neice Katrina, who was featured in Bride of Mordenheim. These updates are the perfect opportunity to go back and retcon all the salvageable bits out of otherwise awkward material, and Katrina IMO was a diamond in the rough.

Regardless of whether or not a LotB vol. 2 is forthcoming, the format is given in the book for interested people to create their own conditions for belonging to other noble families. That's one of the srengths of these books, including the Van Richten Guides -- they pave the way, but you can carve your own roads where you will.

Jackie
The problem with poetic justice is it doesn't know when to stop.
-- Barry Hughart, Bridge of Birds
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Another bloodline I realized we need...

Heinfroth.

Come one! Who doesn't want to play the Grand-nephew of the Core's leading psychotic psychitrist?

I'm going to have to put an article together for this.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Erm... Just spotted another possible problem. Michael Jendalis, the Godefroy NPC, is supposedly the son of (Pay attention now) a woman who was the third cousin (twice removed) of Wilfred Godefroy's daughter. Now, I'm not too clear on geneology, buthas Mordent been in Ravenloft long enough for that too work? It isn't too difficult to get the NPC in, I'm just not sure that specific relationship is possible with Michael being such a young man.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

I don't know how the author handled Godfroy--and I'm glad I didn't have to do it... I would have been begging the developers to replace him with someone else!--but maybe there's something convoluted going with the way domains form? (Like what I did with the two branches of the Renier family...)
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
DarkDuo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkDuo »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:Erm... Just spotted another possible problem. Michael Jendalis, the Godefroy NPC, is supposedly the son of (Pay attention now) a woman who was the third cousin (twice removed) of Wilfred Godefroy's daughter. Now, I'm not too clear on geneology, buthas Mordent been in Ravenloft long enough for that too work? It isn't too difficult to get the NPC in, I'm just not sure that specific relationship is possible with Michael being such a young man.

Those "once-removed" or "twice-removed" relationships are tricky. An example from my own family. Charles is the son of my father's brother. Charles is my first cousin. His 13-year old daughter Emily is my second cousin (or my first cousin once removed?). My brother's son Barry (15) is my nephew. Charles is not Barry's uncle because Charles and my brother are not siblings, but cousins. So Charles and Barry are first cousins once removed (I think) while Barry and Emily are second cousins...Barry is also second cousins with 20 year old Charlotte (the daughter of Charles' sister Kelly). Charles' and Kelly's brother Jeff's 18 year old daughter Brittany has a young child (2 years old) named Amari. Amari and Barry are third cousins once removed, while Amari and I are third cousins twice removed, or something like that. Anyway, there are a few generations between me and Amari. Many times children born late into a family are younger than the children of their married older siblings.
Just to illustrate how the Godefroy family's relationshps could have happened as written above.

Jackie (who has just thoroughly confused herself!)
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Oh, I'm glad the Godefroys are there. The Divine Exorcist and Accomplished Medium are turning into my favorite prestiege classes ever. As I've said before, I love ghosts.

Confusing geneology is part and parcel with Mordent though. Sort of gives it that small land feel in which almost everyone (of a certain class) is related to everyone else. Coming from an island myself, I know what that's like.
DarkDuo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkDuo »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:Oh, I'm glad the Godefroys are there. The Divine Exorcist and Accomplished Medium are turning into my favorite prestiege classes ever. As I've said before, I love ghosts.

Confusing geneology is part and parcel with Mordent though. Sort of gives it that small land feel in which almost everyone (of a certain class) is related to everyone else. Coming from an island myself, I know what that's like.
We like those prestige classes too. :) I live in a small county in western North Carolina and I've found that if you talk to anyone in the county for about 10 minutes, you almost always find a common ancestor. The six degrees of separation here are often narrowed down to about four.
Genealogists are very peculiar people who actually understand the ins and outs of family trees!

Jackie
Pacal
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pacal »

Are there any forthcoming products listed in the back of Legacies of Blood?
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Short answer... No

Long answer... No but....

We know that Masque of the Jade Dragon, Van Richten's Guide To The Mists, and Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends are slated for next year though. I don't know the exact score, but it might have to do with the fact that they have had difficulties meeting the dates they put in the backs of these books. I wouldn't worry about it.
Pacal
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pacal »

Thank you. It's a little bit disappointing to hear that there are no Gazetteers planned to come out anytime soon...but at least I know what is one the horizon.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Takes time to write books and lay them out. They lost most of the gazetteer writers last year. They need time to find new writers and clear it up. Who knows, we might see one before next Christmas (as the fourth book for the year) or soon after.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

So far people have pitched: Brandthofens, Heinfroths, Azalin's clones, and the Wachters for a possible LotB2.

But there are still so many darklord families out there. Such as the offspring of the Lukas and Timothy lines. Harkon has sired more than his share and there could be more out there and the Timothy pack is bound to have produced more than a few litters with humans.
Perhaps a line of half-vistani or quarter-viatani descending from Madame Eva and that tribe of Vistani.
And let us not forget Gundar whose children were renowned for being as evil as him.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

David of the Frat wrote:So far people have pitched: Brandthofens, Heinfroths, Azalin's clones, and the Wachters for a possible LotB2.

But there are still so many darklord families out there. Such as the offspring of the Lukas and Timothy lines. Harkon has sired more than his share and there could be more out there and the Timothy pack is bound to have produced more than a few litters with humans.
Perhaps a line of half-vistani or quarter-viatani descending from Madame Eva and that tribe of Vistani.
And let us not forget Gundar whose children were renowned for being as evil as him.
Did Gundar have more than two children? Also, why would the Brandthofens (Elise's family?) be of interest? I can't think of anything they've done except for marry into the Mordenheim family once.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Maybe it would be good to simply create new families (never detailed before) and not necessarily tied to a Darklord. But such families could have curses as well and dark secrets. The Shadowborn familly could be another possibility to have included. Maybe Alexi had sibling since he entered RL. And his cousin, the girl, I don't know her whereabouts.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!